Newbie, Will be hunting indian caves on keel Mountain

KeelMountain

Hello all, I am 42 yo father of 5 retired military. I am looking for some advise from some experienced detectors. I own 100 acres on Keel Mountain in Alabama, there is a large 20' wide creek full of boulders and flat rock with several indented area's of calm back water. Also along the large flat rock wall there are deep carved caves, it was know to house Cherokee Indians way back. I have found three different caves right up from the river. I was reading a story this morning about the keel Mountain gold.....Google it you will be surprised, supposedly and logged in Lincolns Presidential personal log it talks of Union troops being ambushed at keel Mountain and they were bringing two large duffel bags filled with Gold Coins, after the fighting one Union troop tried dragging the coins up the mountain to hide them only to be shot in the back, the rebel troop took the coins and hid them himself to come back later and get them, however he died shortly after returning to Hazel Green (20 min car drive) but tried to tell the family where the coins were. I want to know the best detector to buy that can scan deep in dirt or water....Do they make one like that? There are so many area's of interest I'm sure we will stay busy for the summer. Also no one has been on this land in over 100 years the same family owned it, no wrappers, cans, cigarette packs....no signs of humans or garbage in the river, it is pristine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I do not want to buy a cheap detector I want a good one. Thank you all for your help....God Bless Dan

Hello Dan and welcome.

Sounds like you have of land to cover and water ways as well.

I would consider the CTX 3030.

Holy moley, what a story. I would be out there everyday looking around, my whole property would look like the movie "Holes" lol. Good luck...:)

Welcome to the forums. I would do some serious research on which detector to purchase. Most will recommend the type of machine they have but it depends on your budget etc. So that being said, AT-Pro is a great detector :), but again im biased..lol Check out the metal detector reviews thread and ask questions...Good luck and look forward to seeing your finds.... TD

If there is no trash there the deepest seeking machines are pulse induction detectors, and if you need waterproof you need something like a Tesoro, Garrett Infinium, White's Dual Field, or Fisher CZ21. I think the story is very fishy, no human being could move a large duffel of gold one foot. Just because the story is on the internet doesn't make the story true and doesn't give it one ounce of truth. Also gold coins were carried in wooden chests or metal strong boxes. Good luck if you look for it!!

Good luck on finding those gold eagles! Great story, there will be a lot of relics to hunt as well.

I'd be a little skeptical about the story, but you never really know, desperate times. Stories are cheap, and usually more entertaining than accurate. Every adventure, starts with a story, or a dream. Regardless of whether there are sacks of gold, it's going to be a great adventure looking. I'd try to avoid being focused or obsessed with the gold, as there should be some nice relics, maybe some older coins to be had. Seems like prime land, you've got water, you've got the caves for shelter, so likely it has been used.

Might be a good idea to research maps of the area, modern, and as old as you can get. 100 acres is a lot of land, you'll want to keep track of where you've hunted, and what you found. GPS will hep with that as well. Haven't bought one, but sounds like the CTX3030 is ideal for what you want to do. Waterproof, and built in GPS. Think I'd start near the water, the caves, since these would be of huge interest to anyone traveling on foot, or riding a horse. Work my way out from there.

Good luck

You just need to try and find a metal detecting store near you so you can get the feel and sound of the different detector's and be able to talk to someone in person if you don't have any experience with md, and if money isn't a problem then it will probably just come down to personal preference. For the thing's your wanting to do it will take a upper level detector,

Contact some of the sponsor's and talk to them on the phone, they will be more than happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom