Public school ballfields, playgrounds

Most of the schools around here are gated and locked and no trespassing signs.

I have one place that is school property and is an open field that use to be a horse racing track area back in the 1880's. It is owned by the school board and is about 4 miles from the nearest school. Think I can get permission, NO! They are worried about insurance and being held responsible if I strain my back pulling all that old silver. :(

Ray

It's a joke......they're supposedly worried about someone getting hurt but they have those jungle gym things in the play area that are 10 feet high and the kids climb on them. One slip and they get hurt but that's OK.

..... those jungle gym things in the play area that are 10 feet high and the kids climb on them. One slip and they get hurt but that's OK.

The difference is: Those kids did not ask the powers-that-be: "Hi, can I climb on the jungle gym and fall off ?" Then they too could start forums lamenting their "lack of freedoms".

But md'rs on the other hand, seem compelled to go ask powers-that-be: "Hi, can I come dig holes in the lawn?"

Hence: Shame on those kids for not asking. :nono:

The difference is: Those kids did not ask the powers-that-be: "Hi, can I climb on the jungle gym and fall off ?" Then they too could start forums lamenting their "lack of freedoms".

But md'rs on the other hand, seem compelled to go ask powers-that-be: "Hi, can I come dig holes in the lawn?"

Hence: Shame on those kids for not asking. :nono:

I'll bet that these are the kids who end up as juvenile delinquents:sissyfight:

All our schools are fenced in and have a huge list of warnings if caught on school grounds. Sadly I taught my sister to drive at our old high school. Now it looks like a concentration camp:no:

Those fences are there to prevent an active coinshooter situation. :D

Get yourself one of those fluorescent green vests with the orange X on it and a hard hat and go for it. They'll think you're looking for water lines. :p

No signs posted or fences with locked gates ?.....fair game. But be aware there could possibly be local laws or codes that could be potential trouble , just read as much information as you can find that might pertain and go at times nobody else will be there.

If you ask permission you will almost always be told no , its just the standard answer for someone concerned about liability to give. Understandably so , if you were asked a question on your job that you were not completely sure about you too would probably take the safe route and say no , so any potential trouble dont come back to haunt you. These arent official answers though , just an effort to retain reasonable deniability.

In my area the schools are all behind fence with locked gates. Also Large No trespassing signs.

Yes i have been run off from a couple schools. but have not been arrested.

In my area the schools are all behind fence with locked gates. Also Large No trespassing signs.

Yes i have been run off from a couple schools. but have not been arrested.

I have a terribly difficult time swallowing the whole trespassing on public property thing. Hard to trespass on something you finance isn't it?

"Landlord's here! Call the cops!". :D

In my area the schools are all behind fence with locked gates. Also Large No trespassing signs....

There's probably signs like that at our schools too. Yet ... it's not unusual to see persons walking their dog, jogging the track, shooting hoops, etc.... Of course, this assumes there's a propped open gate or way in . If it's truly buttoned up with "fences" and "locked gates", then perhaps you won't see other casual school yard users.

I have a terribly difficult time swallowing the whole trespassing on public property thing. Hard to trespass on something you finance isn't it?

"Landlord's here! Call the cops!". :D

Ha, but to play the devil's advocate: So too do other variations of public property have restricted use. Eg.: The governor's office, the library after closing hours if you try to enter a window, military bases, Ft. Knox, etc... Are all examples of public land that ..... while public ..... has usage rules.

That's not to say that I grovel and ask "can I? though. A skittish person can look up laws/rules for himself.

It is extremely rare that the gates are not shut and locked except during school hours.

I always check gates when i drive by after school hours and on the weekends

On the rare occasion they will leave a gate open and If i have time i do some detecting

It is extremely rare that the gates are not shut and locked except during school hours.

I always check gates when i drive by after school hours and on the weekends

On the rare occasion they will leave a gate open and If i have time i do some detecting

I have one grade school playground in the next town over from me that they have totally enclosed the playground with a chainlink fence and padlock. I have asked people I know there about it and they say it's because there was some severe vandalism there once.

There's a high school a few towns east of me that is *very* into sports and has all their fields totally fenced off when not in use. Never got to detect it.

In my town, a year or so I reported here about new "No Trespassing" signs up at all the schools. Well it's like before they were ever put up, because everyone still uses the playgrounds for recreation on offtimes and weekends . I continued to MD them (mostly early Saturdays and Sundays) and have yet to have anybody bat an eye at all.

Public property means it's open to the public, and you are part of the public. Have at it

I was told by maintenance to not dig a perfect trash free park today, first time I've ever been asked/told not to.

I was deeply saddened, place was full of great signals and only got one pull tab. 😢

I was told by maintenance to not dig a perfect trash free park today, first time I've ever been asked/told not to.

I was deeply saddened, place was full of great signals and only got one pull tab. 😢

How did you look to the person that told you that ? If you are at a city park when people are likely to see you it is best to look very low key. No finds pouch or knee pads. No visible digger.

How did you look to the person that told you that ? If you are at a city park when people are likely to see you it is best to look very low key. No finds pouch or knee pads. No visible digger.

This is "sound" advice, of course. However, there are many times where the MERE SIGHT of a "man with a detector" evokes images to a busy-body. Ie.: even with no digger in site, or not having stooped down to get a target, etc....

Probably only an image problem for nice manicured turf. So ... like nose-picking: There are some things you ... uh ... choose discreet timing to do. So as not to offend the squeemish. :laughing:

Though it was your first time being told not to dig, it won't be your last. More and more places are being closed off to detecting. We're constantly being spoon fed that the reason is because people leave holes and damage the property and I'm sure that to some extent that's true BUT a lot of times it's nothing more than high and mighty BUREAUCRATS and/or the stooges that work for them using their "position" to show how they have you under their control.

Back
Top Bottom