Whites MX Sport Thread

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
If there is an ongoing Whites MX Sport thread please feel free to link it here.

I did a search and didn't find one on this forum ...beyond when the initial issues were occurring. I am not looking to discuss those since they seem to have been resolved.

This thread is intended to move beyond the initial issues they had.

I have to say I replaced my beloved AT Pro with a MXS and while it does weigh slightly more the balance actually makes it feel lighter.

The TID and tones on the MXS are taking some getting use to for me. (I know any machine takes getting use to)

I've only used it a couple of times but wow I think I need to crank down the sensitivity vs crank it up from the default. This thing seems to pick up every speck of metallic dust in the soil.

So anyway I figured I would open the gates to others that are also on the MXS train.

Just meant to grow and be informative.

I've used ...many many current machines and this one is well thought out , my Deus is still my #1 machine and probably always will be but this thing is pretty sweet as a secondary.

I plan to put together a video on my YouTube channel and check TID's on multiple relics..coins have been done. I'm thinking US buckle ..buttons ..bullets..finials and random other things I've found. Also a chart with the related TID numbers.

This thing is a sleeper machine...it's not just a
Beach/coin shooter.

What would you say this detector has in it's armoury over other detectors in the same price bracket/category?

Now that it works correctly I think I prefer it over the AT Pro. Deeper than others in this segment and nice tight ID. A very full featured single frequency detectors. Other than saltwater, though it fairs ok, it covers all bases. I'm still not a huge fan of the heft but at least it does balance ok.

Now that it works correctly I think I prefer it over the AT Pro. Deeper than others in this segment and nice tight ID. A very full featured single frequency detectors. Other than saltwater, though it fairs ok, it covers all bases. I'm still not a huge fan of the heft but at least it does balance ok.

I took a pretty hard look at it myself...I'd like to see a side by side vid of this rig vs the Pro on a gold chain...lets say a 15gr 10k figaro.....that would be the ultimate deciding factor for me at least...
Mud

I have been pondering getting an MX Sport as a back up detector for rainy days and water hunting. My V3i supports neither rain nor lakes.

I saw a video the other day on another forum about a new updated mx sport the guy was air testing it anyone air tested theirs to check for this? The video will not work. The guy set his machine up for a air test with a quarter a new updated version . He started at 11 inchs and the machine nailed it and went down to 2 inchs at around 6=7 inchs the machine lost the quarter it had a blind spot in the detection field. Has anybody tried a air test like that?

Yep, White's saw the video and he got it replaced, must of had a fault.

I saw a video the other day on another forum about a new updated mx sport the guy was air testing it anyone air tested theirs to check for this? The video will not work. The guy set his machine up for a air test with a quarter a new updated version . He started at 11 inchs and the machine nailed it and went down to 2 inchs at around 6=7 inchs the machine lost the quarter it had a blind spot in the detection field. Has anybody tried a air test like that?

It ended up being the unit not the coil.

I played with Bill's properly working replacement a bit.

I want to try one out but so many issues so far. I'll keep watching videos of it for now. Keep the updates coming!

MX Sport

I have one and the AtPro. I am so impressed with the MX sport I am selling the AtPro.

I feel the MX sport has way more to offer. I feel the MX is built like a tank, and is much more " all terrain". I was on fence but since the updated and fixed screens. I am very happy with the results in my test garden.

I have found lots of goodies with the Atpro, but I think I will be able to dig deeper with my MX Sport.

Nice video of the MXS modulated audio at work, i also run one of my detectors in all metal-2 tone as i dig everything above iron, fav mode.
Did you try comparing signals between the etrac and MXS?

It ended up being the unit not the coil.

I played with Bill's properly working replacement a bit.

I would really love to go with a White's. I had been a White's fan for a good 20+ years. If the MX Sport is as good or better than the AT Pro I sure would be happy to convert. How does it compare to the Makro Racer 2?

I always loved the target ID system of the White's from the Eagle Spectrum to the DFX. Is the MX Sport close to that?

I would really love to go with a White's. I had been a White's fan for a good 20+ years. If the MX Sport is as good or better than the AT Pro I sure would be happy to convert. How does it compare to the Makro Racer 2?

I always loved the target ID system of the White's from the Eagle Spectrum to the DFX. Is the MX Sport close to that?

It doesn't have as many tone options (break, frequency) but the ID is a lot tighter. It's the regular White's flavor on ID. 18-20 nickel, zincs mid 50's, coppers/dimes mid 70's, quarter 82-83. The racer is a bit faster recovery but the MXS unmask and works the iron with the best of them. MXS is deeper and has robust all metal and prospecting setting.

I prefer the smooth and rolled AT Pro/AT Gold/Racer tones over the digital MX Sport tones. The MX Sport has a nice bright and big display but I'm not a fan of the thick bezel around the screen. Make it very big head unit. Not BH muffler on a stick but pretty wide. MXS is a bit heavier that ATP but balanced better. Heavier than the Racers too but has the proper and exact grip angle (~110 degrees) like First texas machines, white's old school detectors, etrac/ctx. Not the too obtuse (~120 degrees) one you find on the Racer 2, treasure pro, explorer, safari, etc and not the less obtuse (~100 degrees)one you find on the Racer 1. I never get why some manufacturers have had such an issue with grip angle. Just close your fist, draw two lines and viola! :laughing:

The racers and ATP have better battery life and less batteries. 4aa vs 8aa

I can't speak for water hunting. But the MX Sport is ultra sensitive to the small stuff if you turn up the sens. Maybe more so than the AT Pro but haven't done full testing on this.

I don't know that you ditch an AT Pro for one but if you were on the fence on choosing either there is a lot more detector in the MXS but it's $150 more as well. Personal Preference. I prefer the AT Gold over the AT Pro and the MXS gets the features of both plus more options so that's why right now I would go MXS personally.

Now this is all based off verifying they are potentially fixed. At least new ones in the last couple months.

Will be interesting to see what Garrett has in store with it's new AT detector next spring because it could very easily tip the scale for me back to Garrett in this segment.

If you don't need water proof it's hard to beat a F75 at $599.

Did you try comparing signals between the etrac and MXS?

Not this time on film. I did on a few and sometimes one did better than the other but most of the time they were similar ID and performance. I would definitely lean E-trac on coins, it is the coin king after all, and easily lean MXS and many other detectors for relics. Etrac still has a bit more coin ID depth stock vs stock.

Some examples:

Rusty modern screw
Etrac wanted to call it a coin
MX Sport clearly ignored it as iron

Nickel
Etrac nailed it dead lock like it always does on nickels
MX Sport was not locking on well like can slaw due to adjacent target.

Fresh buried 9" copper penny

Etrac edge of detection at 24 manual sens but was giving good id most of time
MX Sport was only hitting on all metal channel, Sens only at 7.

Back
Top Bottom