20 hour “feeding frenzy”

18kRonin

Forum Supporter

Had a storm go through and strip off most of the light sand and light trash leaving a mixture of gravel and big stones covering heaps of iron but not much in the way of keepers. Then a month or so later went and had a look the day after another storm had been through and found it had replenished a good sized section with heaps and heaps of round crusty things.

After a run of 6 trashy skunks where I was lucky to get 10 coins a hunt, I was feeling REAL hungry :lol:

Shallow coins EVERYWHERE, never had it so good, hardly any non ferrous trash the only downside was where the coins were :lol: most were mixed in with hard packed wet sand, stones and iron. Nearly twisted my ankle a couple of times while trying to kick the scoop in.

When I hit a real dense patch of coins and started to grid, thought it wouldn’t last for long but NO took me 20 hours of feverish digging over 4 hunts in the space of a week to get to the end of it.

The first hunt was as close to the surf as I could go without getting swamped by triple deckers. Only had 4 hours before work so dug like crazy without a break thinking that it might be the one and only chance I’d get.

10mins before I had to go did some cherrypicking in an area at the top of what remained of the slope. Was painful hitting coins and not digging them but no time, gave in to a couple of good sounding mid tone coins then hit this sweet mid tone and Yellow!!! to top of a fantastic hunt.

3 silvers, a 2g 18K and 229 coins.

Two days later hit it again before work. Got there super early so I could get 6 hours in. Found the surf was slowly filling in the wet area I had hunted last time so had to move a bit higher up the slope and still heaps of coins in amongst the nulls. Went home with even more crusty coins and silver than the hunt before.

Total for the day
8 pieces of silver including my first silver spoon (found in with the trash while taking the pics) and 416 coins.

The next day woke up before the alarm went off and headed back
giving me 6 hours of hunting time before work. Tried to keep a steady pace but that went out the window :lol: when I hit a white gold 14K ring with a heap of silver :lol:

Then just after the 4 hour mark the clad started to thin out so went for a walk digging the odd target as I went looking for another good patch. Was only wearing light dive boots so not a good idea walking a long distance over stones :no: At 5 and a half hours in had to call it quits and rest my battered feet :D

Total for the hunt
11 silvers, a 2.8g 14K and 397 coins.

Had two days off due to yet another storm going through :shock: found most of the area I’d been hunting was closing up fast with heaps more sand and stones filling in the wet area and pull tabs starting to move back in again.
The last storm had taken more sand off the top of the higher section of beach I had been griding so hit that again from another angle scoring even more coins amongst the now partially exposed iron. The Excal wasn’t picking up coins until I’d kicked the sand and small iron around a bit. So spent most of the hunt digging and kicking sand and iron around.
Finished that section and went looking for another patch but found hardly any keepers (my feet weren’t that enthusiastic even with better footwear on :lol:) so called it a day.

Haul for the 4.5 hour hunt 6 silvers and 212 coins.

Total from the 4 hunt 20 hour coin digging frenzy: an 18K, a 14K, 29 pieces of silver and 1,254 coins.
The coins weighing in at 5.6 kg / 12 lb 5.5 oz.

Could be a couple of silver coins in with the clad just haven’t had time to tumble them.

By far the best I’ve ever had it on the clad at any beach and the best I’ve had it at this beach for finding silver and gold in such a short time.
One week I’ll NEVER EVER forget :lol:

Thanks for viewing
HH&GL

:tropical:

A cool find. First one I’ve found from WW2. Was made in 1944 at the Twin Cities Ordnance plant in Minneapolis. Most likely dropped from a fighter or bomber.

Good site for 50 cal head stamp info
http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html

Sweet Merciful Benjamin Button!!!! What a great detailed write up and well set up pics! Outstanding hunt and finds! You put a lot of effort into this hunt and also on setting up this post! Thank you! Beautiful!

WoW!!!........... Just WoW!!! Great Pics, write up, and hunt.
Thanks for taking the time to do such an informative post and congrats on the coin & ring finds. WTG
DL

You Brother are Totally Insane!! That's more targets then I've dug all year!! Congrads on all of the treasure!! Amazing!!

That T&Co Atlas ring is a nice score too! Man, congrats on all that stuff, you definatley found a great area!

I like that gold ring with two diamonds on the ends, unusual.
Sheeeeesh thats a ton of trash you cleaned off the beach:shock: also a boatload of silver and coins!

Yoku yattane!

Now this is a great tale! You have fought a legendary battle, and slayed scores of formidable opponents. Your rewards have been well earned. Your inspirations will live on!

Wow, :shock: awesome job. :yes: Couldn't imagine just picking up that many targets, let alone having to detect, scoop, sift out the goodies and repeat. Helluva job, great timing and a great post :grin:

:dingding: That's for all the gold! :wow: That's for all the coinage!!! AMAZING amount! What's the total in dollars? 6 figures? ;) BTW I am VERY proud of you for achieving your very 1st FELIX penny! :dingding: You get the dinger for that as well! :lol:

AMAZING your stamina first of all, WTG on getting back out there day after day. Aside from the shiny metals you must have KILLED it on spendable clad! Ideas on your take?

Great post nice rings and coin collection.

Thanks Digger :yes:

Sweet Merciful Benjamin Button!!!! What a great detailed write up and well set up pics! Outstanding hunt and finds! You put a lot of effort into this hunt and also on setting up this post! Thank you! Beautiful!

Thanks much appreciated brother :yes: Had some spare time while I was recovering :coolinoff: :D might be the last epic haul I am lucky enough to come across and be in top physical condition (for my age that is :lol:) to get a good ran at it so thought I’d put a bit more time into the post. :yes:

That is one heck of a week! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks mate :yes:

:shock: Crazy haul man! Superb pics! Big time congrats! :cheers:

Thanks Slim, looks like we had similar hunts brother I’m just a bit short on the gold :yes:

WoW!!!........... Just WoW!!! Great Pics, write up, and hunt.
Thanks for taking the time to do such an informative post and congrats on the coin & ring finds. WTG
DL

Thanks DL, would have liked to have seen posts on all the hauls the guys made when detecting first started in the States :wow:

What a great post. Fantastic account and excellent photos!

Thanks TriadHunter :yes:

You Brother are Totally Insane!! That's more targets then I've dug all year!! Congrads on all of the treasure!! Amazing!!

Thanks OBN :yes:
Me knows that brother :laughing: keep telling myself to slow down and listen to what my early 1960’s body is telling me but got no will power when keepers show up :laughing:

WOW... What can you say but... WOW

Thanks Fasteddy :yes:

That T&Co Atlas ring is a nice score too! Man, congrats on all that stuff, you definatley found a great area!

Thanks brother, it’s one of the first beaches I hunted when I started over 8 years ago. Have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on it, 90% of the time it’s a trashy iron skunk hunt with a hand full of coins and a silver if I’m lucky :yes: but given the right conditions it really packs a punch. This is only the second time it’s happened. The first time I spent 10 hours straight getting just over 400 coins and some good silver hunting in the stormy wash :shock:
Usually a storm will drive coins onto its slope then just as fast drag them back into the deep and bury them beyond detector reach again.
This time there was a big bar of a mixture of sand, gravel and large stones built up with a deep trench cut into the slope behind it blocking any coins from escaping. Man what a turkey shoot :lol:

I like that gold ring with two diamonds on the ends, unusual.
Sheeeeesh thats a ton of trash you cleaned off the beach:shock: also a boatload of silver and coins!

Thanks Metaladdict that ring gave me a shock :lol: I told myself it would be a good idea to go cherry picking at the top of the slope just because I was too beat to do anything else :lol: and damn me yellow :shock: :lol:
You should have see the bags of trash I’ve removed from this beach over the years. It would shock me too :laughing:

Awesome post, pics and story. I like that you post pics of all the trash targets to put everything into perspective. Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom