Silver uMax, Toggle switch going bad

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy… well, finally has happened… something has broken on my Silver uMax… seems the toggle switch… no longer will it perform the battery test. Anyone ever have this problem? I’m sure dirt is the most likely culprit. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it themselves without hurting the warranty? Mine was bought brand new back in January of 2010. But hate to have to send it in etc, if it is something I should just tackle myself. I have hit it with compressed air, from the outside only… still no battery test. So far, the AM to DISC mode still seems to work ok. I use the switch frequently… so this is no “dig” to Tesoro or the Silver uMax, really like this machine still. Should I try a spritz of contact cleaner, again from the outside of the switch… I mean I don’t have to have the battery check feature… as long as the other two settings (AM and DISC) still work… not a big deal.

Thanks!

Take the battery out & spray the switch good with contact cleaner, take the two screws out of the faceplate and lift the faceplate up gently just enough to spray the switch on the inside. After you spray the switch inside and out work the switch back and forth several times to get the dirt out of it. Contact cleaner has got lots of stuff working for me, its great stuff. But if you don't feel any resistance when you move the switch to different positions it might be time for a new switch. Steve.

then go down to the local Radio Shack and get a rubber switch cover and put it on there,,,I did not have the smaller one that fits the Tesoro but did have one from a larger switch,,,,I just cut the rubber boot off and put a little black silicone around the bottom and slipped it over the switch. It has held for three weeks now,,,,,an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,,,,,:D

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys... seems if I spray contact cleaner from the outside... it works for a few outings... then, its back to be lousy again.

Might be time to open it up and spray from the inside... will that void my warranty you think? Bought the Silver uMax about a year ago... or will be a year in January. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice guys... seems if I spray contact cleaner from the outside... it works for a few outings... then, its back to be lousy again.

Might be time to open it up and spray from the inside... will that void my warranty you think? Bought the Silver uMax about a year ago... or will be a year in January. Thanks.

Send it back. The first thing they will look for on ANY future returns will be inspection to see wether the machine has been tampered with in any way..And they WILL know...they made it! NOT worth the risk of "having a go yourself".It will probably fail again at a later date and your back to square one. Your very lucky as you live in the same state as Tesoro,
our Tesoro Returns have to go a UK service agent.

Agree

Good point... no need to try and get the warranty voided I guess. Wonder if I could just bring it back to the shop I bought it from and swap for another? It will be a year around the end of January.

Isn't the reason we have Tesoro's is so that we don't have to fiddle with fixing them and just send them in for repairs? ;)

Update

Ok, figured I'd offer a quick update and another plug for the folks at Tesoro. Drove my detector down to Tesoro in Prescott... figured they may take a few hours to repair or tell me they would send it to me etc... bottom line, no hassle, very friendly and fixed it up good as new... called me within the hour after dropping it off said it was all set. These folks rock!

Really appreciate it from the folks at Tesoro. And of course thanks to all you folks for the advice etc... now, I just need to figure out a good way to prevent it from happening again... I think someone said they put a little rubber boot around their toggle... anyone have a photo? I was thinking of taking a piece of rubber and cutting a slit into it and sliding it down the toggle? Any other ideas?

Thanks again to all.

take it to Radio Shack and tell them what you want ,,,they will have a rubber booty for it that you just screw on

No luck at the shack

Hmmm, went to the local radio shack... kid there said he knew what I was talking about... but that they didn't sell 'em. Suggested I hit a guitar store... I'm with you though... they have to have them I would think. I may try calling a few more shacks tomorrow and see if any pop up.

Gotta be some way to dirt proof this thing. Lol.

Hmmm, went to the local radio shack... kid there said he knew what I was talking about... but that they didn't sell 'em. Suggested I hit a guitar store... I'm with you though... they have to have them I would think. I may try calling a few more shacks tomorrow and see if any pop up.

Holy cow the big surprise is not that the Shack didn't have what you wanted but I am amazed that the kid knew what you were talking about, must have alot brighter Shack workers in your area than mine, I would probably have to draw them a picture of a double A battery if I wanted to get one :roll::lol::lol::lol:.

You can get one of these like in the picture, actually two of them that way you and your detector would be dirt proof and water proof :lol::lol::lol:.

Attachments

• OldManWalMartBag.jpg
    OldManWalMartBag.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 551
Size?

Howdy... anyone know the size of the nut that holds the toggle switch on? I am thinking of ordering one on line and want to see if I can get the right size. So booty/nut size is what I am seeking. I have jury rigged something for now. You know the small door stoppers, they have a small rubber end... I cut a slit and placed it over the toggle. But would rather get the screw on booty if I can. Just need the size. Is it quarter inch?

Thanks!

you cold call Tesoro and be sure or just order the one you think it is and one bigger and one smaller,,,,,

How about this...

Ok, found an old eye dropper bottle, have pulled the rubber dropper thingamajig off... plan on gluing that over the toggle... almost the perfect size... wonder if that will void the warranty though if I do that?

If I was Tesoro, I would encourage that though, just saves them from having to replace the toggle switch. They are good people there... hope they won't care.

fantastic

Howdy. Figured I would provide an update. Used the silicone with that rubber eye dropper top. That was way back when. One of the best things I have done for This little machine. Still holding up perfectly! Rubber thing on. If toggle switch is still like I Just put it on and that switch is still like brand new the way it switches. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom