Are older White's detectors worth buying? Are they inferior?

china-clipper

I have a Classic III and my friend has an older 6000/DI sitting in his house. It was his fathers (he passed away) and my friend has NO interest in detecting. How do the older units like this one compare with what I have now? Can they detect as deep and are they as sensitive. Can anybody weigh in on whether this detector would be worth investing in, or should I just let the deal slide? I haven't suggested a price yet, but would like to know if compared to my Classic if it would be inferior as a backup to my Classic. I don't want to not end up bringing it anywhere.
Thanks~

Inferior? I don't think so! I'd rather have the 6000 than a Classic anyday. I would get the 6000 and sell the classic. :yes: It will go as deep as any,period. OK, you have a detector. Any signal that is good you are going to dig,right? No mater if it's 3in or 8 in. The only reason I got a Prizm as my arm can't support an older Whites any more. 2cents
pop

C -clipper,
If it is the 6000 di pro sl, that it one great detector, I just got rid of one, the only reason I sold mine was the weight of it, i have a bad back and could not swing it very long. There is a learning curve to this machine, so I can not express if you get this, you need to read the manual several times.and take some time learning it, for it is one of the best coin machine ever made, that is what I have read. Hope this helps.
Greg

I for one wouldn't discount any of the older machines. The guy I sold my old Garrett ADS-7 loves the thing, and is making some good finds, when he is able to get out that is.

I have a 6000 DI series 3 that I believe was made in 1985. I runs alot smoother than my MXT. It is heavier and can't use the newer coils so I'm limited to the 8" coil. It works fine and has found alot of coins. Check Ebay for what they are bringing. Rob

Hey Rob, my DFX gets kinda heavy after a few hours of hunting. My daughter bought me a sling for it this christmas, and I have tried it out and think it will take some of the fatgue out of those long hunting days. It will take a little getting used to, but nothing I can't get around. Might want to look into one for yourself. One advantage is, you don't have to set the machine down, it just hangs off the side. :yes:

If its the original Di with the meter flat on the box I would avoid it. All metal was deep but the motion side lets it down today. By the time you got to the Pro SL things had improved all round. If its got a black box grab it , blue box only if its a very good price and even then I would be inclined to send your Classic off to Mr.Bill for the upgrade. Makes an underestimated machine even better.

Well, I checked out the 6000/DI, it's an SL Pro. It has a black box and an analog meter on the handle; it also has auto GEB. Any idea what I should pay MAXIMUM? I guess It could be cheaper than a comparable new White's unit. What is the closest unit White's makes now that compares with this?
Thanks,

6000dipro

I shouldn,t be telling this as I would Like to Buy a 6000,but on Ebay, 200$on up.I have been looking for several weeks.
A little high for my pocket right now

Re: Are older White's detectors worth buying? Are they infer

china-clipper said:
I have a Classic III and my friend has an older 6000/DI sitting in his house. It was his fathers (he passed away) and my friend has NO interest in detecting. How do the older units like this one compare with what I have now? Can they detect as deep and are they as sensitive. Can anybody weigh in on whether this detector would be worth investing in, or should I just let the deal slide? I haven't suggested a price yet, but would like to know if compared to my Classic if it would be inferior as a backup to my Classic. I don't want to not end up bringing it anywhere.
Thanks~

The 6000 di detector is far superior to the classic iii. it is a much more powerful and versitile detector. sold for around 699.00 the classic 3 has been discontinued and has been replaced by the white's prizm series. if the 6000 di works i would recommend using it over the classic iii

MAC IN EUGENE

6000/Di PRO SL verses XL PRO

Macdaddy, I picked up a 6000/Di PRO SL for $220. I was looking for an XL PRO, but they run considerably more. How does the PRO SL stack up against the XL PRO? Anybody else want to weigh in here? I think the SL has pretty much the same options as the XL, the only differance seems to be it uses smaller batteries and is a little lighter in weight.
Comments?

Older White's MDs

Hi,

I just found this site today and I love it! When I read the string about older White's MDs, I had to join this forum. Back in September I bought
a Coinmaster 4000D Series 2 for $57 on e-bay. Spent $48 I think on battery and charger, and another $77 to get it working. Did I do O.K.
for under $180? Also, I have copied the pertinent parts of the manual from the White's site. I'm new to the hobby (although I have worshipped
White's since I got my first brochure in the early 80's) and I have one or two promising locations to investigate (untouched as far as I know--I know the land owners) that date to the middle 18th century. In Illinois!
Wish me luck. Any comments on the MD would be appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Welcome to the forum. Don't know specifically on the 4000 but do know about older Coinmasters and one thing for sure, they work and will do the mission. At $180, thats kinda on the top end but with new bats and charger, you are good to go. Sure you could have gotten a new Prizm or Garretts for that but it still would not be a Coinmaster and pride of ownership in what you want counts too. That machine will do fine and probably after you get used to it and learn what it's telling you, you may want to get a new one later on after you hit it big :yes: Good hunting and keep posting. That 4000 could smoke them all. :grin:
pop

I have a Whites 5900 DiPro SL and always wondered how it stacked up against the newer detectors. I got it on Ebay about 8 years ago for $230
It has always worked great for me but the question of 'could I be finding more with a newer machine' has been in the back of my mind. From a depth stand point I think it can keep up with the majority of machines. I think the big differnce is the 4900, 5900, and 6000 are "analog" machines and the new machines are "digitial" with lots more bells and whistles. You need to flip switches and knobs to change modes on the oldies while you can program custom modes on the newbies. The new machines are also much lighter! My 5900 uses 4 C batteries but I found C cell "shells" that accept AA NiMh recharables. That should lighten the laod a bit.

All too often it is easy to fall into the "bigger (read 'more expensive') is better". Remember the most expensive detector won't find anything unless it is out in the field! Right now, for how much detecting I do, the old 5900 is doing well! I did get an ACE250 for my daughter as she took and intrest last summer. Got it jsut B4 winter so we have not played with it all that much but looking forward to getting out with it!

I've got an old White's Gold Master, and recently took it to an old gold mining town, and on the dirt road detected a 9ct gold ring, which I wear today. Just when I was about to sell the detector too. Gave me second thoughts!
HH Angela :grin:

I'm glad to hear such good reports on the 6000 di pro. I just bought one but still waiting for usps to deliver it 8 days later.. :mad: thank you much, dirtmover

Haaa! those were the days and that was the detector ! ;)

When you get it, start your own thread and post pictures of it and give us a couple of air test on some general targets, make yourself a test garden when your ground permits.

Congratulations on a nice buy!

I am pretty much a Tesoro user but one of the best detectors I have ever had was an older White's Eagle II (black box). Steve.

Back
Top Bottom