• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How many of you buy silver or gold to stockpile

The thing about stocks and bonds - POOF! And, it's gone. Not so with PM's. If you don't hold it...you don't own it.

A close friend of mine bought a 100 ounce bar of silver for $4800 back when silver and gold was all the rage. It has gone nowhere but down hill since he bought it.

When my grandfather died in 2012 I purchased some silver of his from the estate and I think it was around $28.00 per ounce then and has gone down since. That is stuff I bought to keep not as an investment.

The thing about stocks and bonds - POOF! And, it's gone. Not so with PM's. If you don't hold it...you don't own it.

PM prices can and do swing wildly and in the meantime don't generate a positive cash flow. Indeed the cash flow could be negative, if you pay rental on a bank safety deposit box, to store it.

If you stick to high quality stocks (not one, but a few), chances are very good they won't go "POOF", unless the whole country goes POOF. Stock prices will fluctuate over the course of a year and they will even undergo a correction of around 20% once i a while. If you choose high quality dividend paying stocks, you can let the power of compounding grow your wealth by reinvesting the dividends.

Yeah...I like coins...Since I started detecting and joined the local Numismatic Club, I have found myself thinking of everyday purchases in terms of the price of Silver...? Thats sort of odd I guess?

IE: one Burger King Value mean equals a BF Half! A Snickers bar or a can of soda is a Merc dime! I would NEVER spend a BF half or a Merc dime on that!

When a guy hits a totter and pulls a fast 3.50 clad kicking through the chips, Hey! That there was a damned old SLQ!

I still smoke, and lately thats a habit I'm trying to deal with...pissing away a Walker Half everyday on a pack of ready rolls makes a guy feel guilty...We all know how hard it is to find one of those!:laughing: DAMN! I'd have 365 Walker halfs/yr if I could give this up! Now THATS a stack!
Mud
Me too! I think of all purchases in terms of silver now. Thinking of things in terms of silver really helps to kick bad habits.

I went to the Local Coin Shop Monday to do a little trading and jaw jacking...the guy said that right now, everybody is selling, not buying...He was in a foul mood...FWIW...He had a pretty heavy inventory......Any reports from other areas at the LCS street level?? Seeing more selling than buying? Might just be 'Holiday Springback?' Anyway, a guy can talk down the spot+ in these cases...
Mud

:lol:
I went to the Local Coin Shop Monday to do a little trading and jaw jacking...the guy said that right now, everybody is selling, not buying...He was in a foul mood...FWIW...He had a pretty heavy inventory......Any reports from other areas at the LCS street level?? Seeing more selling than buying? Might just be 'Holiday Springback?' Anyway, a guy can talk down the spot+ in these cases...
Mud
My LCS never has inventory of silver, and I've been in there since 2008. It always gets snatched up.
Must be folks are selling because stawks are hot right now! I didn't buy my PM's to make money. Stocks are considered investments, metals are insurance against paper investments.

My LCS never has inventory of silver, and I've been in there since 2008. It always gets snatched up.
Must be folk are selling because stawks are hot right now! I didn't buy my PM's to make money. Stawks are considered investments, metals are insurance.

Yeah right? Thats generally the case here too...The guy had some pretty heavy inventory...said he was doing 'OK' on internet coin sales, just that the walk in buyers were weak and the seller traffic was strong...
Mud

Yeah right? Thats generally the case here too...The guy had some pretty heavy inventory...said he was doing 'OK' on internet coin sales, just that the walk in buyers were weak and the seller traffic was strong...
Mud
Generally low-ball offers. Just imagine if one could intercept his customers.

Generally low-ball offers. Just imagine if one could intercept his customers.

Oh yeah, he is one notorious Lowballer! Shameful! 'Interception' is the strategy...Difficult though...probably easier to CRH...

On that note, I just got back from the local StopNRob...I handed the guy a roll of Q's to complete my transaction. He Said that for some reason, He has gotten a huge amount of rolls of coins in the past week...so maybe its just one of those things...People are cleaning out their clad/coins? Anyway, I'll stop by a few banks and ask if they are getting a lot of home rolled coins in, and perhaps buy some to hunt since the sleet is coming down..
Mud

Last edited:
Oh yeah, he is one notorious Lowballer! Shameful! 'Interception' is the strategy...Difficult though...probably easier to CRH...

On that note, I just got back from the local StopNRob...I handed the guy a roll of Q's to complete my transaction. He Said that for some reason, He has gotten a huge amount of rolls of coins in the past week...so maybe its just one of those things...People are cleaning out their clad/coins? Anyway, I'll stop by a few banks and ask if they are getting a lot of home rolled coins in, and perhaps buy some to hunt since the sleet is coming down..
Mud
Ask 'em if they have any 'funny' coins...I've never done this but others have and scored. :cool:

I bought this 1886-S five Dollar "Half Eagle" this past weekend at a coin show.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 213
I have a few silver dollars stashed away for when tshtf .. I figured it would be easier to buy a tank full of fuel with a $25 coin vs a $500 gold coin..

I have a few silver dollars stashed away for when tshtf .. I figured it would be easier to buy a tank full of fuel with a $25 coin vs a $500 gold coin..
Thats right. Save the gold coin for purchasing a side of beef, or medical supplies. When prepping, it's not usually either/or. Hopefully, if or when tshtf, someone will take a gold or silver coin in trade for those items. I somewhat doubt it.

Thats right. Save the gold coin for purchasing a side of beef, or medical supplies. When prepping, it's not usually either/or. Hopefully, if or when tshtf, someone will take a gold or silver coin in trade for those items. I somewhat doubt it.

James Woolsey, the Former director of the CIA is one hell of a Prepper! The damn guy is pretty much off the grid...I wonder why? Does he know something?

Anyway...I dont know nothing...I just sort of thought it was interesting why a guy this connected felt compelled....It could be a hobby..it is sort of fun to learn new things like generating electricity, water ram pumps, all sorts of stuff....

PM prices can and do swing wildly and in the meantime don't generate a positive cash flow. Indeed the cash flow could be negative, if you pay rental on a bank safety deposit box, to store it.

If you stick to high quality stocks (not one, but a few), chances are very good they won't go "POOF", unless the whole country goes POOF. Stock prices will fluctuate over the course of a year and they will even undergo a correction of around 20% once i a while. If you choose high quality dividend paying stocks, you can let the power of compounding grow your wealth by reinvesting the dividends.
you are wise my friend . i've noticed this theory to be true when gold and silver were at all time highs I bought a lot of silver thinking it was a good investment I also came into about 10,000 dollars at about this time I invested in my tsp at work, since then my tsp investment has doubled as my precious metal investment has been stagnant cant wait for a significant rise so I can unload this commodity compounding interest is the key. the only precious metal worth while to me is the one I get for free

Mud
When people are selling that's the time to buy and vice versa.

You made a mistake buying PM's as an investment.
One holds PM's to preserve wealth, especially after, or in case, SHTF.

Back
Top Bottom