Why I like Friendly Metal Detecting Forum better: Some thoughts...

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Not too long ago, I left another forum. The reasons weren't widely understood there, but it's sufficient to say that I was unhappy with the body of people posting, and how they were treating others. Basically, if I'm showing up to club meetings and every time I do, I get insulted, why would I keep going? So I left. And I will never go back. That's something they apparently didn't believe, because I was searching for something over the weekend, and clicked a link that apparently directed me to that forum (without realizing it). Up popped a message that I'd been banned for deleting my posts when I left (which, is fine if they wanted to do that, btw, it's their site). The ban note was 6 weeks old at that point. I had no idea I'd been banned. Why? I'd never gone back. I don't intend to, either. It was only an accident that I hit their site. I don't know what the outcome of my final post was, and I don't care. They either learned from it, or they didn't.

One thing was certain, though. After being a part of the forum for 2+ years, and making 6000+ posts, not a single mod reached out to me to say, "sorry to see you go," or "what can we do better?" In fact, if I were to guess, based on the behaviors I saw BEFORE I left, I suspect I was publicly ridiculed upon leaving. I don't know that, of course, but it's what I perceive would have happened, and again... it's why I left.

This is where my active involvement in Friendly Metal Detecting Forum came in.

Here's the odd thing... I heard multiple times in that forum, by their mods, that their site was better moderated than the Friendly forum, (usually indicated by just calling it "Friendlier" forum (since rules there don't allow direct reference)). Of course, the insinuation was that there was rampant insults going on over here, and people here were "worse." THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAVE FOUND!

My experience here has been anything BUT worse. In fact, I've now been carefully monitoring responses of people's finds and posts, and I don't see ANY of the garbage that I'd come to expect in the previous place here. People here are kind, polite, and definitely FRIENDLY. There's not the set of standard "forum trolls" that I saw pop up in the threads there. I'm not sure the reason, but I like it. This is what a clubhouse should be. A place to come, share your finds, learn something new, and enjoy the company of other hobbiests.

The drama here is much less, information sharing is just as free, and I've really appreciated the fact that the body of forum members here aren't "preachy" to other members on how they should behave and especially don't insinuate what someone should be doing with their finds. It's just approval and appreciation for the hobby, and encouragement to follow the rule of law. Friendly Metal Detecting Forum is exactly what I'm expecting a club should be.

I've made a couple of donations now to the site, and will continue to do so. If you like the forum, too, help keep the club going strong by clicking that green Donate button. This place is great.

Thanks for being such a great place, and thanks everyone for being my new clubhouse.

Cheers!

Skippy

<SNIP>
Here's the odd thing... I heard multiple times in that forum, by their mods, that their site was better moderated than the Friendly forum, (usually indicated by just calling it "Friendlier" forum (since rules there don't allow direct reference)). Of course, the insinuation was that there was rampant insults going on over here, and people here were "worse." THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAVE FOUND!
<SNIP>

Hello Skippy,

Glad to have you!

In our view, the best moderation is one where our members never see it happening. Of course, that is an ideal and sometimes our moderation becomes visible to others.

I have to second that emotion Skippy. I've been a member of multiple forums covering differing subjects and I have to say your right. Some forums are run by (euphemism for backside :D) and as a result that attitude pervades the forum and attracts those kind of members. I am happy to say that everyone here seems to epitomize the Friendly in the title. In fact I joined because the forums title let you know it was a place for the "nicer sort" of us out there.

Over the years I have joined many detecting forums. This is the one I spend most of my time at. Before the forum days, there was a detecting IRC channel that several people would get on each evening and talk treasure. That was like the turn of the century...I feel old now.

Hello Skippy,

Glad to have you!

In our view, the best moderation is one where our members never see it happening. Of course, that is an ideal and sometimes our moderation becomes visible to others.

Well, I certainly haven't seen any (other than the few comments from Mods, privately, and appropriately, to me through Private Messaging). I think you all have a great place here, and if it's due to behind the scenes work, even better. :)

Thanks!

Skippy

FMDF is the place to be! :cheers: I too used to post on other forums.. Treasure Depot, Treasure Net, and a few others. Heck its been so long ago I can't even remember the names. I never had any problems with any of the members or mods on those other sites but I like the way this one is organized much better.

The main thing that convinced me to register here was the forum software. I'm very familiar with vBulletin and much prefer it over the old 90s style threaded view which is still being used on some other MD forums.

After spending some time here I've noticed that the folks are friendly and the place is moderated very professionally.

Since finding this place I just haven't seen any need to go anywhere else. :shrug:

FMDF is the place to be! :cheers: I too used to post on other forums.. Treasure Depot, Treasure Net, and a few others. Heck its been so long ago I can't even remember the names. I never had any problems with any of the members or mods on those other sites but I like the way this one is organized much better.

The main thing that convinced me to register here was the forum software. I'm very familiar with vBulletin and much prefer it over the old 90s style threaded view which is still being used on some other MD forums.

After spending some time here I've noticed that the folks are friendly and the place is moderated very professionally.

Since finding this place I just haven't seen any need to go anywhere else. :shrug:
Well stated. :)

Over the years I have joined many detecting forums. This is the one I spend most of my time at. Before the forum days, there was a detecting IRC channel that several people would get on each evening and talk treasure. That was like the turn of the century...I feel old now.

Reminded me of the days when the internet ONLY had typed words, no pictures or graphics, I used to discuss topics on the Prodigy bulletin boards they had back then. That was back in the days of the dot-matrix printers :lol:

Don't feel old, just more experienced :lol:

Well, I certainly haven't seen any (other than the few comments from Mods, privately, and appropriately, to me through Private Messaging). I think you all have a great place here, and if it's due to behind the scenes work, even better. :)

Thanks!

Skippy

Yep, this place is named correctly "Friendly", it is usually very very rare to see harsh disagreements, and the rare times they do happen the mods do a good job in quickly nipping it in the bud.

I agree with what you say. I too went poking around the different forums but didn't like what I read so I kept poking till I found FMDF. I met and have gone out with CellrDwellr and I'm sure I'll meet up with BottleCapKing sooner or later this year. CD let me follow along with no earphones on the machine for about an hour and listen to what what going on, explaining all the sounds, and it was a great learning experience for someone new. I donated to the site because I believe it's worth it.

Thanks to the Mods and the owners for doing a great job here.

My senior year of high school was in 1984, we had vic comador 20's for computers, In computer math class we had to come up with questions to ask a college in California, dial the number on a old style Bell telephone and set the receiver on the modem and wait till the 300 baud modem made connection. It was all text. Those were the days. Every thing was line by line basic. No mouse, just if, then, for, next,goto,cls,etc,etc.

My senior year of high school was in 1984, we had vic comador 20's for computers, In computer math class we had to come up with questions to ask a college in California, dial the number on a old style Bell telephone and set the receiver on the modem and wait till the 300 baud modem made connection. It was all text. Those were the days. Every thing was line by line basic. No mouse, just if, then, for, next,goto,cls,etc,etc.

Yep, I remember having those slow (compared to today) low baud rate modems, it tied up your telephone land line so you couldn't talk on the phone and be online at the same time :lol:

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Won't you be my neighbor?

serveimage

I feel friendly. :friends: Ha ha! Hee hee! Come metal detect with me! :crazy:

I agree, and just want to thank all here also. I am new to this forum, and lurked here a bit before joining. Everyone here is helpful, and I haven't personally seen a negative comment. joe

So far I've only met one forum member in person. We met at a restaurant and talked for hours. It was remarkable how alike we are in our interests. Very odd, but as they say, birds of a feather flock together. I suspect that the members here are probably more like each other than different. Well, except for those beach-combing coasties, those folks are just spoiled! :lol:

this was the first site I joined. I was very familiar with plumbing forums before this hobby. drain cleaning forum was ruined by 2 members and the moderators. plumbing zone was ruined by the moderators. phac me.com forum is the only good one left with low responses but great mods and members. this forum reminds me of it except for the response thing. I feel like I sort of belong here. this place and its members and mods are great.

The one thing that I've always wanted more than anything else from a forum is the exchange of information and ideas that makes me a "better" hunter. Information is king! There is a level of "tech talk" that many can understand, but when it comes to going out to your site to detect....what have I learned that I can utilize to increase my chances of finding what I am looking for? That's always my question, and many other accomplished hunters over the years have made ME a better hunter. Whether it's research, ideas on machine settings, what have you...this forum, overall, has helped me the most to accomplish my goals on an ongoing basis. I hope that one day, any of my contributions will be of use to someone just starting out, or someone having trouble with a specific problem.
It's always cool to see spectacular finds...and to learn how to increase my chances of finding the same.
I agree Skippy, this is the one I come to the most to avoid the trolls and any butt crack nonsense I sometimes have found elsewhere...

Approaching 10,000 posts over the past several years.
I have probably met 50+ people face to face as a result of this forum and each and every one has been a real gentleman.
I have never been on any other sites and probably never will.
There used to be some rather outlandish characters on here in years past, but the mods really do a fantasxtic job of keeping the flare-ups under control.

Back
Top Bottom