• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looking for a good gold prospecting and coin detector

WarriorPrincess

I am interested in finding a good to fair gold prospecting and coin detector. I will be in the rocks and shallow water of rivers and streams looking for placer gold in the foothills around northern CA.

I am looking towards a Minelab Eureka Metal Detector becasue it has a 6.4kHz, 20kHz, and 60kHz selections.

What do you guys think.

I am interested in finding a good to fair gold prospecting and coin detector. I will be in the rocks and shallow water of rivers and streams looking for placer gold in the foothills around northern CA.

I am looking towards a Minelab Eureka Metal Detector becasue it has a 6.4kHz, 20kHz, and 60kHz selections.

What do you guys think.

Excellent choice , one of the best gold detectors on the market.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help .

Andrew

You may want to read up on the Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold Bug Pro. I've not used mine for prospecting yet, but it is a great coin hunter. Most of the sponsors that post or advertise here can sell for less than the prices they are required to show on there sites. But you have to call them. I got mine from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. He is easy to get a hold of and gets your order to you Quick.

My vote as RRW said would be G2 or GB Pro. Very good gold and coin machine. Run super quiet too!! Any questions feel free to email or call me! Bart

Well as I am seeing maybe the GB2 might be a good one. How is the GB Pro is that a good one too. I understand you need to become one with your MD but I really dont want to have to become one with several different MDs so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Gold Bug Pro is the newest and greatest gold bug out. It does really well with gold or coins. Its main advantage is that it has two processors and hunts in iron and trash VERY well! There is no ONE perfect detector though. Any questions holler.

The Minelab Euraka is a good gold machine. One thing though, it is as heavy as a White's MXT. It DOES have the contol box option. For half the price of the Euraka, you can get a Fisher Gold Bug......

Dusty

Gold Bug

Gold Bug blows away the Eureka
More features and performance, finds smaller targets, better warranty, less money, more versatile, more target info, more ground info, lighter, better balanced, 2010 Technology as opposed to decade old ML technology made and US owned instead of Malaysia made and Ausi owned means $ stays in US economy instead of Malaysia and Australia.

There is more-do your research.

Mike

Gold Bug blows away the Eureka
More features and performance, finds smaller targets, better warranty, less money, more versatile, more target info, more ground info, lighter, better balanced, 2010 Technology as opposed to decade old ML technology made and US owned instead of Malaysia made and Ausi owned means $ stays in US economy instead of Malaysia and Australia.

There is more-do your research.

Mike

Are you referring to the GB2 or the GB Pro?

I am a little interested in the Minelab Eureka Gold becasue of its features. My only concern is if it can handle the water along the edges of the rivers, lets say only about 1 foot deep. I am seeing a lot of info on it is not waterproof and it is. Anyone know the story regarding the Eureka's ability to handle water.

Thanks

Found my answer:

That puts me back to my original question, which is best for gold and coin hunting.

I think one with a muti-frequency is best (Eureka with 3 frequencies) becasue a high freq is good for small gold and a low-middle freq is good for coins. It would be nice if it was waterproof. Cost is not so much a requirement. I just want a good MD for my hunting. Maybe a Gold Bug 2, what do you guys think.

Any ideas and what expirence have you had with it?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I'm new to this...I'm a gold miner, but...

Ok, I live in Alaska and have a river infront of me that has gold, but, the old miners said to get a gold detector and use that first to detect for gold in the river and creeks...

I we have about 2 ft of water in most of the river, LOTS OF ROCKS and gravel....then I'll be walking teh banks and the old creeks....

Money is a problem, I can buy my dredge for $2500, so, don't want to spend that much just on the detector...

Can I get something for around $700?

And do these work well in a river???? I was told the coils are water proof, but, how deep can a detector find a gold paystreak under water adn under rocks?

If you guys have never checked out the Nome, Ak beach, lots of gold dredging there, you just gotta be young!

I was told that White labs had a good detector for what I was doing at a moderate price????

comparing fishers...

ok, i'll be in water, why not a water proof Fisher 1280x instead of the Fisher GB2??? Almost the same price...

Will one out perform the other for detecting gold pay streaks at a deeper level in rocks/gravel? Under 2 ft of water?.....

For the price, is there anything better for working water and land?

Would think in any case a small coil a must.

Teknetics G2 or Fisher gold bug you'll get that 2' of water plus slammer for land. Get a 5-6" coil to match, That will hammer the ground area and dont forget the pinpointer, some are water proof.

Try watching youtube or yahoo for videos.

Gold Bug DP

go with the Gold Bug DP,its the same as the gold bug Pro but with the 11dd coil,you can't go wrong Big Boy hobbies will give you a deal-forum discount :D,keep us posted on your Gold finds,good luck Earl:D

Gold Bug 2

This is a Gold machine,High Freq detector,for coins & Gold,the Gold Bug Pro,or Dp was the choice,now you need a coin hunting machine,good luck nugget hunting with the Gold bug 2,i have herd the settings,and stability of the machine are harder to get used to GOOD LUCK Earl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom