Coffee

That's like saying every steak tastes like a steak or every chocolate shake tastes like a chocolate shake. There's lousy coffee, there's decent coffee and there's great coffee. I drink gallons of our quick stop type place's coffee, because it's there, it's easy and it's not bad. When I do have a chance to get a really good coffee, say at Booskerdoo or Rook, I do. There's no comparison. If you love coffee, you know the difference. It's Walmart steak versus a fine, grain fed, dry aged sirloin. Big difference.

When I was stationed in Rota Spain I lived over a bodega where I could get an espresso for .25 cents went back a few years ago it's now .75 cents. Wish I was there now.

When I was stationed in Rota Spain I lived over a bodega where I could get an espresso for .25 cents went back a few years ago it's now .75 cents. Wish I was there now.

I had a 2 week layover in Rota back in 1970 (I think) on my way to catch my ship in Greece (USS Saratoga) but we were not allowed to leave the base from what I remember.

I remember in Greece getting a Gyro sub sandwich for the equivalent of about 25 cents :lol:

I was in Rota for 3 years due to the size of the ship pulling into port was the factor if there was liberty in town. Things sure changed since then and now it's a tourist area and the town is building up fast.

I remember my first experience with Coffee!...it was 1979...I was 20yrs old...ya see, both my Mother and Father were Old School Pennsylvania Quakers, and we didnt go in for this fancy stuff, we ate oatmeal without sugar, no milk either, no salt of course, an efficient and curious lifestyle...American Gothic, buttoned up to the collar! Think two levels down from Amish, three down from Mennonites, and you get the idea...

Anyway, during my Rumspringa, I was working at an English Factory, and the boss man wanted volunteers to work Easter Sunday Weekend...paying triple time, and I succumbed to financial greed...

Like any good drug dealer, he had arranged to have a big table set out in the shop, with Donuts and Coffee for Free! And I fell!

Lord Almighty! I was swinging off the rafters! He told me what he wanted me to do and I did it! I moved and set up a 60' LeBlond Lathe singlehandedly! Wired the damn thing back in with the power on! :laughing:

I remember thinking to myself, "this stuff is legal?" Damn! Yeah, Coffee is something...As any Addict will tell you, its effects have worn off a bit, and it requires a larger dose to produce the desired outcome..but still, in keeping with my heritage, I dont eat no sugary donuts or drink milk to this day....I do drink beer, and remember my first experience there as well, but thats a different story...:laughing:

Last edited:
I gotta have cream and sugar in my coffee otherwise its trash....prefer lightroast. Dark tastes like burned ciggerettes.:lol:

Reminded me of the days of 10 cent cups of coffee back in the 60's.....

Before he was killed in Vietnam, I had a friend who was the manager for a fast food place. He said that they made most of their money from soft drinks. With added ice it was almost all profit. As for coffee, I never drink it. I watched them make it in the Army.

I buy bags of Peet’s ground, pour hot water over it into a large mug and enjoy. It’s dark, and better than $tarbuck$ by a mile or ten. No need for cream or sugar, blech :lol:

Dirty Kneese. You need to get out some more.

When my wife and I were staying in Makati, we were finding some nice local grown whole and ground beans in the SM store in our building.

Also found a small coffee shop outside of Clark near my friend's place. I think that they had some beans from Benguet. Very nice.

Pretty soo we will need a PHD to order a coffee. My dog always trys to get at my coffee cup...being a german shepherd it is hyper enough to start with.

Attachments

• 029_zpsbcfzkzvj.jpg
    029_zpsbcfzkzvj.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 57
Drinking coffee the way it was meant to be is usually an acquired taste. Those of us who actually like coffee normally drink it black ,....some is better than others , but even if its been sitting in the pot for a while and is strong , bitter and maybe a little burnt it will do. But being a former Air Force mechanic and a former truck driver , and someone who has worked nights for 20 years I suppose I developed my taste for it out of necessity. People who don't drink it without a lot of sugar cream or flavoring in it don't really like coffee and might as well be drinking hot chocolate or mountain dew. :lol:

Drinking coffee the way it was meant to be is usually an acquired taste. Those of us who actually like coffee normally drink it black ,....some is better than others , but even if its been sitting in the pot for a while and is strong , bitter and maybe a little burnt it will do. But being a former Air Force mechanic and a former truck driver , and someone who has worked nights for 20 years I suppose I developed my taste for it out of necessity. People who don't drink it without a lot of sugar cream or flavoring in it don't really like coffee and might as well be drinking hot chocolate or mountain dew. :lol:

I started drinking it aboard an aircraft carrier working 12 hour shifts, and always only drank it black, and I seem to remember them saying to never ever clean out the coffee urn as it would ruin the taste :lol:

coffeemaker.jpg

Back
Top Bottom