• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Nox 800 coil cover issues

KOB

Forum Supporter
So I've had the 15" coil for about 3 months now. Strictly for beach hunting. I take the cover off and rinse after each use. I am certain that the cover is all snapped in properly before each hunt. It just seems that it doesn't seal the water/sand out very well.

I have noticed while on the beach after a half hour , that tilting the coil from side to side a foot off the ground that I get a falsing signal. Anybody have this issue ? It's filled with sand and some water. Yet the cover is on snug. Same false signal at the end of each swing.

I thought of applying a small bead of silicone at the edges to seal it. Or a bedliner spray. I could take this off when needed with a little work. Or possibly no cover , with a bedliner spray , making it more permanent. Have any of you tried this ? Had similar issues ? Any solutions ? Or do I just have a bad coil and cover ? It works great until this happens, then it's falsing along with mixed vdi numbers.

You probably need to lower the sensitivity. Could be your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think coil covers were ever meant to keep out sand and water for beach hunters. It's purpose is to protect the coil from scratches by dirt hunters.

I think the silicon trick will keep the sand out for beach hunters.

I don't think coil covers were ever meant to keep out sand and water for beach hunters. It's purpose is to protect the coil from scratches by dirt hunters.

I think the silicon trick will keep the sand out for beach hunters.
Thx Robo. I was thinking kinda the same. Covers were more for dirt. Otherwise they would have made it all inclosed.

They are definitely designed for us dirt diggers. It’s to protect against rocks, dirt clumps etc. sand is abrasive but once in the cover it doesn’t move as much.

Sorry to hear it gets in so easy though. Silicone is not a bad idea but make it perfect. Would suck to have 1 tiny hole just big enough for it to still get in.

This is a xcalibur coil n coil cover,

I filled the coil cover 1/3 full of a two part epoxy then set the coil into..lt comes gushing out but nothing gets in there now. xcalibur coils are famous for separating and letting water into the insides.

I filled the coil cover 1/3 full of a two part epoxy then set the coil into..lt comes gushing out but nothing gets in there now. xcalibur coils are famous for separating and letting water into the insides.
Obviously this is permanent. So when the coil eventually goes bad you just buy a new one. I was thinking spraying the bottom of coil ( without the cover) with bedliner. Basically the same thing.

Coil flip causes falsing....especially with a sensitive machine.

I will have to try tilting my coil at the beach before I get it wet. See if it falses before it gets sand in it. Thanks

Obviously this is permanent. So when the coil eventually goes bad you just buy a new one. I was thinking spraying the bottom of coil ( without the cover) with bedliner. Basically the same thing.

Bed Liner won't last long enough... wears out after a week or so.. I epoxy all my coils inside the coil covers because I am a scrubber when I swing when I wear out the cover I just add another one and epoxy it in.. saves my coils from any wear... they may not look pretty but it works.

Ok guys. Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'm gonna glue that sucker on. Silicone probably won't last either.

Bed Liner won't last long enough... wears out after a week or so.. I epoxy all my coils inside the coil covers because I am a scrubber when I swing when I wear out the cover I just add another one and epoxy it in.. saves my coils from any wear... they may not look pretty but it works.

Craig, how do you get the old cover off if it's epoxied on?

Craig, how do you get the old cover off if it's epoxied on?

I don't... its so worn off all I do is push a new one on and epoxy it... I scrub the rocks... when its ready to be replaced only part of old coil cover that is left is a little on the bottom the sides all fall off.. my coil is constantly bumping into rocks and things so the sides are usually first to go...

Okay, got it. I was thinking that the epoxy sealed all around the vertical sides/edges, which would be a b**h to get off. Thanks.

I wonder after 5 years if that coil is about 4 inches thick !

I wonder after 5 years if that coil is about 4 inches thick !

No :lol: is it a little heavier sure... but in the water I don't notice.. no detector is heavy to me I swing 17 pound hedge trimmers over my head so a little extra weight on a detector is nothing to me.

No :lol: is it a little heavier sure... but in the water I don't notice.. no detector is heavy to me I swing 17 pound hedge trimmers over my head so a little extra weight on a detector is nothing to me.
You stud ! To the average lay person , 17 lbs would appear to be child's play. But that kind of weight , arms extended , overhead for a few hours , will leave most mortals in tears.....

You stud ! To the average lay person , 17 lbs would appear to be child's play. But that kind of weight , arms extended , overhead for a few hours , will leave most mortals in tears.....

So true, wanna find out how hard it is? Take a can food (green beans, chili etc) and hold your arm straight out. Time it, you won’t last long even if you’re a weight lifter. It’s no joke doing that kind of work.

So I've had the 15" coil for about 3 months now. Strictly for beach hunting. I take the cover off and rinse after each use. I am certain that the cover is all snapped in properly before each hunt. It just seems that it doesn't seal the water/sand out very well.

I have noticed while on the beach after a half hour , that tilting the coil from side to side a foot off the ground that I get a falsing signal. Anybody have this issue ? It's filled with sand and some water. Yet the cover is on snug. Same false signal at the end of each swing.

I thought of applying a small bead of silicone at the edges to seal it. Or a bedliner spray. I could take this off when needed with a little work. Or possibly no cover , with a bedliner spray , making it more permanent. Have any of you tried this ? Had similar issues ? Any solutions ? Or do I just have a bad coil and cover ? It works great until this happens, then it's falsing along with mixed vdi numbers.

I saw one of Tony Eisenhower’s videos and he was having the issue with his coil cover filling with sand. He just removed the cover and epoxied the whole bottom of his coil. He says it works fine. No issues.

Been doing it for 30 years... ;) I love working outside.

Back
Top Bottom