Older TV Parts repurpose uses???

T-Man

Elite Member
Just a quick question to toss out there. I have an older 27 inch analog tv, probably around 15 years old that the color has pretty much gone out on and it's on it's way to the dump here soon. My question is if there is any type of electronic components inside that I may be able to repurpose for something. Maybe a transformer for an electrolysis setup or something else along those lines. I read on here awhile back where someone snatched some magnets or something like that out of an old microwave right after I tossed one and kicked myself for not having the foresight to rip it apart first. I'm not really and electronics guy so don't need to be soldering out every resister or microswitch off the thing but if there is something that may be useful I'd prefer to strip it down before it makes it's way to the curb.

Thanks

Just a quick question to toss out there. I have an older 27 inch analog tv, probably around 15 years old that the color has pretty much gone out on and it's on it's way to the dump here soon. My question is if there is any type of electronic components inside that I may be able to repurpose for something. Maybe a transformer for an electrolysis setup or something else along those lines. I read on here awhile back where someone snatched some magnets or something like that out of an old microwave right after I tossed one and kicked myself for not having the foresight to rip it apart first. I'm not really and electronics guy so don't need to be soldering out every resister or microswitch off the thing but if there is something that may be useful I'd prefer to strip it down before it makes it's way to the curb.

Thanks

Just remember there is something in old TVs that stays charged up and can kill you when discharged. I still remember my dad when I was a kid reached in the back of our old one that was broke for like two years and he goes slamming into a wall after he touched something inside. He was okay after a bit. But never opened up another TV:shock:

Just remember there is something in old TVs that stays charged up and can kill you when discharged. I still remember my dad when I was a kid reached in the back of our old one that was broke for like two years and he goes slamming into a wall after he touched something inside. He was okay after a bit. But never opened up another TV:shock:

Not an electronics guys but did spend a number of years as a mechanic and am quite familiar with capacitors. I do know enough to use extra care around them, we did used to charge those up and then throw them at each other when the other person wasn't expecting it, that was a hoot, after awhile you learn to dodge, not catch. Thanks for the warning though.

Not an electronics guys but did spend a number of years as a mechanic and am quite familiar with capacitors. I do know enough to use extra care around them, we did used to charge those up and then throw them at each other when the other person wasn't expecting it, that was a hoot, after awhile you learn to dodge, not catch. Thanks for the warning though.

Yeah my dad was a mechanic and nailed me once by throwing one I caught:lol: I also remember his story about holding a plug wire and asked my grandpa to hand him a wrench. When my grandpa grounded out he spit out his dentures and tried to beat my dad with the wrench:laughing:

Forgot to add. I use some old boards to practice unsoldering and soldering right before I repair a detector. No different than a kicker practicing field goals. You go for the real deal you are in tune. I take apart old VCRs. Still looking for some electronics that use the same potentiometer as the minelab Excalibur. No luck yet.

The residual charge comes from the CRT acting as a capacitor. You can bleed any charge off by grounding an insulated wire at one end and shoving the other end up under the suction cup going into the back of the CRT. Although if the set has been sitting for a year or more there should be little to no charge left.

The yoke on the back of the CRT contains many yards of fine copper wire, I've used some of that to wind coils.

Taking things apart is fun! Its amazing to take something apart to see how it works..this is what kids used to do for entertainment, go down to the town dump and bring something home thats curious...take it apart to see how it works! also, it helped develop an analytical mind...

Ask any kid now a days how a bread toaster works? How does it know when to pop up the bread? Thats a simple one, but just ask and see what they say? No frigging clue!

I have to believe the greatest fabricated item that shows off Mankinds pinnacle of skill is a clock or watch of any sort...gears, springs, and its all gotta act in accordance to a 60sec minute? just try making a gear once, or tempering a spring? Making tiny little components and screws? Getting everything to line up and work? I doubt theres a soul alive on the Planet that could do this by hand anymore...

I have to believe the greatest fabricated item that shows off Mankinds pinnacle of skill is a clock or watch of any sort...gears, springs, and its all gotta act in accordance to a 60sec minute? just try making a gear once, or tempering a spring? Making tiny little components and screws? Getting everything to line up and work? I doubt theres a soul alive on the Planet that could do this by hand anymore...

I could build a clock, but I'm not a kid.

Back
Top Bottom