• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Maxx.........

BlackRain

Elite Member
Seems like a lot of these AT Max units are already hitting the second hand market. Sounds like another recreation of previous models with little to no innovation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It always happens regardless of the model. People buy the latest and sell it soon after. It will happen with the Equinox too.

The Max seems way more like a re-tread than most lines of detectors would ever do. In two or three years of development they pretty much just cloned the ATP/GOLD and added a twist or two

The garrett AT line of detectors are not hurting for being bought or sold. Right now on ebay there is not one at maxx for sale but there is several Pros and Golds for sale in the 400 to 500 hundred range with bids on them. I just sold an at gold, took one day for a responce. Hype of the Equinox is big on the forums but I would say the forums only make up no more than 20% of the detecting community at best. YouTube followers of big Garret users like Aquachigger, nugget noggin and the likes with close to a million followers each pushing garrett at detectors detectors is where the money is at. The guy I sold the gold to hadn't even heard of the Equinox but was thrilled to get the garrett. To many new detectorists that watch YouTube but don't come to the forums.

Well,

When Equinox becomes available and the great stories or bad ones start to materialize from users, then we will see.

If the Equinox IDs deeper.
If it hunts in the iron better coil size for coil size.
If it is just plain deeper on nonferrous coin sized targets.
If it's Hotter on smaller gold and more stable in salt water.
Detector is waterproof.
Ergonomics of Equinox a big thing for folks to consider.

What $649 list for 600 model.

Too early to tell yet exactly how the detecting public will actually react.

Does anyone in their right mind, not think other manufacturers' sales haven't already been impacted,,,with just the waiting on the release of Equinox??

I don't think all metal function on a Vlf detector will ever be a strong reason for detecting public (as a whole) to buy any certain model detector.

Btw,
Who do we have to thank for Equinox?
IMO Garrett and XP.

So thank you Xp and Garrett.

One thing I am watching.

This is, how much do the smart coils cost for Equinox?
No list prices released yet.

And it will be interesting to see how these coils for Equinox compare to coils for CTX.

I mean one would think they would be similar priced right???
But look what a coil for CTX cost.

Could CTX smart coils prices be reduced due to Equinox???

Maybe.

Look here.
6" coil for CTX list about half it seems what a model 600 Equinox entire detector does.
https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-ctx-06-smart-coil

So, depending on how much the actual coils for Equinox costs, it may indeed be a good market strategy to offer the model 600 Equinox with either the stock or small coil, with Equinox 600 with smaller coil for a cheaper price than one with stock coil setup.

I could see some folks buying the model 800 Equinox with stock coil, and buy the model 600 with a small coil setup for a back up detector just so in the long run get the smaller coil.

These smart coils IMO will be the weak link for Equinox.
Unless of course they are priced very reasonable and Minelab does indeed come out with some other sizes of coils.

This is the reason I feel a lot of folks went back or stayed with Etrac vs CTX.
Limited coil selection as well as the steeper prices for coils.

I don't think a lot of folks have put much thought into the above, not yet anyways.

CTX smart coils really should cost no more to make than a Equinox smart coil.

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head with the coil cost. I would imagine the minelab coils for the EQ will be in the 300 to 400 dollar range. Most of the minelab coils like gpx and ctx are priced way higher than aftermarket coils and bet they won't let aftermarket manufacturers like nel and detech make coils for it anytime soon. I figured it would run me 1200 to 1300 to get an EQ with a small coil to fill my needs. I am holding off until reviewers say there is a real performance increase over my Deus with 6 x 9 elliptical and CTX with 6in coil to pull the trigger.

Coils from XP deus, Minelab CTX are only made by their respective manufacturers except the CTX that has an aggrement with coiltek. Which is why you don't see Nel or Detech Deus or ctx coils.

Coils from XP deus, Minelab CTX are only made by their respective manufacturers except the CTX that has an aggrement with coiltek. Which is why you don't see Nel or Detech Deus or ctx coils.

That could be due to many details including patent infringement - if the technology is actually in the coil such as the Deus, in cases like that they would need permission....which could be the case with the Equinox since the coil can run multifrequencies. Demand is another detail. Agreements can be made, but that would have no obligation on any other manufacturer to create coils or not for those companies not involved in that agreement. I'd suspect cost (profit) vs demand would be the ultimate influence though.

Where's Tom at when you need him, since we're talking about permissions and such! :laughing:

Well,

One thing I am watching.

This is, how much do the smart coils cost for Equinox?
No list prices released yet.

And it will be interesting to see how these coils for Equinox compare to coils for CTX.

I mean one would think they would be similar priced right???
But look what a coil for CTX cost.

And look at the cost of a CTX! It's much easier to justify a $300-$400 coil on a roughly $2500 detector, but on a $650 machine like the 600 is expected to be (which will come stock with one of those new EQ smart coils), that kind of cost raises eyebrows. If that price speculation is accurate, my real worry then becomes this: the rest of the EQ600 would essentially be a $250-$300 machine with a really expensive coil attached. As a person who believes that "you get what you pay for", that pricing would make me very skeptical of build quality and/or performance of the rest of the machine. The differential only looks marginally better on an EQ800. Like the old adage says: You can pick any two out of Quality, Performance, and Low Price, but you can never have all three.

Hopefully it's the coil cost speculation that's wrong, and the EQ's smart coils pricing will be more in line with the overall detector cost. And maybe TN is right - perhaps the CTX coil prices will shift downward as a result.

I'm strongly considering one of the EQ models as my next detector (pending release reviews), but coil cost is a big question mark for me and a real concern, partially because of the cash outlay for a second coil, but mainly for what it could mean for the overall value of the rest of the detector.

Only time will tell, and I'm a patient man :grin:

Coming from the ATpro and Running the Nokta Impact, My Atmax is doing well! I have only used it twice but my hunting buddy loves it. He is an ATpro wizard and has found more than I on recent hunts. We both find the goods....

Quite a few pre-buyers got frustrated and cancelled orders because of pushing forward the release date and then the announce of the EQ coming. I'd imagine some are trying to recoup costs to try the EQ, but many seem satisfied with their purchase of the Max. Many say it's much different than what they expected building up and coming off the Pro, way different. From reviews it doesn't sound like it's repackaged.

Its more of a repackage gold than at pro....
Quite a few pre-buyers got frustrated and cancelled orders because of pushing forward the release date and then the announce of the EQ coming. I'd imagine some are trying to recoup costs to try the EQ, but many seem satisfied with their purchase of the Max. Many say it's much different than what they expected building up and coming off the Pro, way different. From reviews it doesn't sound like it's repackaged.

My ATmax is super deep here in the Nor'east dirt. I mean Super deep! It's not a re-badged detector and has a lot of features lacking in the AT line. I let my ATpro Wizard buddy use mine all the time we hunt together and he has found stuff at over a foot deep consistantly. I ran it for the last 2 weekends and dug a target at 15 inches, it was an Ox knob that was really old. ATmax has my respect for sure. I ran ATpro before my Impact and the Max is way better than the Pro in a lot of areas. Vol adjust, backlight, wireless, all metal, just to name a few. Fantastic machine!

Seems like a lot of these AT Max units are already hitting the second hand market. Sounds like another recreation of previous models with little to no innovation.

Mine is one of them. Pre ordered a Minelab Equinox. But the Equinox is no the reason for sale. I have had an AT PRO, and An AT Gold. Was more than happy with them. But the Max is a super big let down. Selling my AT Max with every thing as new. Also included is a NEL Thunder coil and cover. Plus a Pair of new never used Gray Ghost Amphibian head phones. All for 725.00 free shipping Pay Pal only and sales to the US only.

Your gonna have them days when you just find everything,regardless of the machine you use.Its the best thing since sliced bread when that happens.Then you’ll hav those days when even a zlink penny seem to be hard to find,the dog days of any hobbie.
Nothing wrong with the at max.Im guilty myself of getting a new machine,taking it to the most beat to death area I know,,and when I find nothing I get discouraged.Well,no kidding,those types of places hold nothing,or it’s just the luck of the swing if you do happen to hit it.
All machines are good,just the location and driver that makes em shine.

Is the max deeper than your impact??? Do you like the audio of the max in iron? Is the audio as good as the impact?
My ATmax is super deep here in the Nor'east dirt. I mean Super deep! It's not a re-badged detector and has a lot of features lacking in the AT line. I let my ATpro Wizard buddy use mine all the time we hunt together and he has found stuff at over a foot deep consistantly. I ran it for the last 2 weekends and dug a target at 15 inches, it was an Ox knob that was really old. ATmax has my respect for sure. I ran ATpro before my Impact and the Max is way better than the Pro in a lot of areas. Vol adjust, backlight, wireless, all metal, just to name a few. Fantastic machine!

Back
Top Bottom