Does anyone know about the 1958 Silver penny?

i have posted a blurry pic a while back! its in my album with 2 other wheats.i haven't done anything a with it. ill have my gfriend bring her camera over and post pics of the coin sat.i want to show you the edge its not straight. i don't know how to transfer pic from my album and that pic might not even be worth looking at. probably coated with something shiney for a charm or something.

I agree with the earlier post about a mercury coated penny. It used to be a pretty common high school experiment to coat a penny with mercury.

i found this one once, look like yours? i think it just came it contact with an element (said mercury)

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,996
What you have there is a penny that is missing the copper clad coating. I've found 2 of them while sorting pennies.

thanks for telling me that! that makes this coin soooo much more special to me now! even if its not worth anything, i appreciate it more.:D:D:D:D:D

Sometimes during the production of coins, some planchet are stuck in bins, machinery and other problems. They come loose and are not the correct planchet for what is being run at the time. I have seen many coins that have been stamped on the wrong planchet. The 1943 copper cent (Correct planchet was steel and coated with Zinc)is one that can be worth in $100,000.00 range or more. I hope this will help. (:-O)

I was just researching this topic and landed on one of my favorite websites! :)

I have a 1958-D wheat penny (machine doubling on the front, especially by the mint mark & 8) with a 2/3 silver looking wheat reverse. (The obverse is normal except for the machine doubling...the edge is also copper, so it's obviously not genuine silver.)

This coin is 100% uncirculated. Any thoughts?

I remember my dad saying they use to coat pennies with mercury to try to pass them off as dimes. He said store owners would either just notice the color and take it as a dime or look at it real funny and think they had a very special penny.

To touch on father/son/ohio's coin, I would lean more towards corrosion than missing a copper plating. But I don't know anything about that.

i have also found a 1958 silver metal penny its stamped weird like it was a mistak the outside rim resembles wat would be on a nickel ive never seen one wat is it

What you have is probably a copper penny that has been coated with mercury. Before mercury was found to be hazardous, we used to rub it on pennies and turn them silver when we were kids.

I found a 1958 silver wheat penny this morning, and I've never seen one like it before. It is stamped from Delaware and the edges are raised up. They are also smooth. Has anyone found one of these before, or have any information about it?

well, the thread is only 3 years old, so I am guessing a pic is out of the question.............

It's not even April yet....getting people all worked up....why did you blow it beerdoodle....I wanted to see how people asked for pics....!

Back
Top Bottom