Thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71

That says a lot! Thanks TNSS!

To clarify the whys I think the Rutus trumps Deus in sites like this.

Rutus IDs deeper more accurately on average.
Rutus allows for normalization to 6khz (key setting btw) and still use any frequency on Rutus,,even the higher freqs,,,higher freqs tend to help with separation,,especially in a site with mixed modern trash and nails.
The 6khz normalization here keeps the spread of higher conductors and junk wider.
And keeps the spread of nickels and tabs and junk aluminum wider on average.
Rutus recovery speed is fantastic,,very Deus like.

Tones on Rutus can be set by individual TID numbers,,or blocks,,as a user sees fit.
Deus here you are having to use like 4 tones or 5 tones with blocks only selected.

Rutus GB is very forgiving too on medium and milder minerlized ground.

If I Could talk to the Rutus folks and give a recommendation,,,it would be allow a zero setting for any and all TID number spots.
The way it is,,a user can only select lower sounding tone for the undesirable TID producing targets.

The site today,,I had never been in this portion,,,I know some who have and know what detectors and coils they run.

So I got a very good idea on how the Rutus was humming in this site.

A couple tidbits as far as recognizing targets using tone,,numbers in screen and hodograph.

If tone is clear as one walks around target,,hodograph behavior as far as what it is telling a person more believable.
It tone isn't consistent as one pivots around target yet hodograph shows a no dig decision,,,watch out,don't put as much stock in here.

Aluminum twist caps,,,the hodograph will point these out with signature getting worse as you pivot around target--- you will get a zincoln id or real close.

Bottle caps,,,on real shallow raise coil about 3" or so,,watch hodograph paint the backwards C or a partial backwards Letter C.
Tone will be wishy washy as you switch directions when sweeping over caps.
Generally you will see higher TID readings like 102-105 in the window.
If on a real shallow cap,,you sweep,,hodograph likely will paint a correct to more correct signature like a silver or clad dime will provide.

I went to another site,,old house site,,even in reactive level 4 running 18.4khz, Rutus alerted on a Garrett pinpointer deep target made of copper and beleive it or it gave correct ID( airtest was done btw after recovery).

On deeper targets (a person will start to recognize by the tone here,,,watch out for the hodograph data,,put less and less stock into it.
The 9" deep target,,,hodograph signature reflected moreso iron,,but the tone was just too repetitive,,even when pivoting.
This ground in this site is pretty high in minerals too,,,a high 4 bars on a F75 detector.

Rutus needs some dealers in the USA.
I can understand why the folks across the pond like this detector.
It is also smoking hot (for coil size) on smaller items,,both airtest and undisturbed in the ground.
Based on my use,,I can see it doing extremely well on hammered coins.

Detector will run to the high side on deeper targets ( reactive setting can affect),,,but not as bad as Deus here.

Last edited:
Tnss, you can always notch out any of the 120 segments if you don't want a tone.
I'm heading to the beach for a few days break, i'll let you all know how it fairs on the sand.

'If I Could talk to the Rutus folks and give a recommendation,,,it would be allow a zero setting for any and all TID number spots.
The way it is,,a user can only select lower sounding tone for the undesirable TID producing targets'

Sounds like one of the best detectors to me,adjustable everything,great unmasking,depth and

ergonomic.
Also not overpriced!!!

Took Rutus unit to a modern trash site today,had some iron as well.
This unit comparing to other units I have ran,,for these type of sites,,,this unit gets top marks.

Really does give a lot of info,,multi- dimensional info to make decisions to dig or not.
Handles bottle caps well,,and even gives clues differentiating zincolns from aluminum twist caps.

Lightning fast,,11" coil in reactive 4 has an eagle eye here in the trash for higher conductive items.

Super impressed today with unit.
Would take over a Deus wearing any sized coil in this type of site.

Nickel window can be established with detector,,with appropriate tone assigned.

This detector for whatever reason seems even via tone nuance (along with ID) a nickel killer.

Would use this unit hunting beside anyone running a Minelab CTX any day of the week in sites loaded with modern trash using 11" coils on both.

What do think of the Rutus compared to the Impact in sites like this? Which unmasks better around modern trash? Like a pulltab next to, under or over a quarter or dime or silver?

What do think of the Rutus compared to the Impact in sites like this? Which unmasks better around modern trash? Like a pulltab next to, under or over a quarter or dime or silver?

I had rather run an Impact in these type of sites vs Deus.
Why?
Impact detector when running 5khz is not like Deus using 4khz, where the Deus is tied to tx power level 3.

Impact offers real ID as far as frequency used as well as normalized to 14khz.
Deus offers real as far as frequency used as well as normalized to 18khz.

Comparing Rutus to Impact.
I can see each having advantages,,,with the elliptical 7x11" coil vs Rutus round 11" coil,,,Impact on some detecting scenarios could have advantage.

Rutus with its round 11" dd coil,,it too could have advantage over Impact,,with what I call reach around affect as far as detecting nonferrous.

Rutus seems a bit quicker than Impact with some reactive settings.

Rutus is layed out nice with tone options, notch, recovery speed options, and with being able to normalize to 6khz.

For modern trash sites wearing stock sized coils,,my first choice Rutus, then Impact, then Deus.
This ranking here doesn't consider any other model detectors.
If we include some of them obviously this order likely to change somewhat.

Impact's audio vs Rutus is I think more digital sounding,,sweeter.

I have done very few head to heads comparing Rutus to Impact.
Have done more comparing Deus to Rutus.

I had rather run an Impact in these type of sites vs Deus.
Why?
Impact detector when running 5khz is not like Deus using 4khz, where the Deus is tied to tx power level 3.

Impact offers real ID as far as frequency used as well as normalized to 14khz.
Deus offers real as far as frequency used as well as normalized to 18khz.

Comparing Rutus to Impact.
I can see each having advantages,,,with the elliptical 7x11" coil vs Rutus round 11" coil,,,Impact on some detecting scenarios could have advantage.

Rutus with its round 11" dd coil,,it too could have advantage over Impact,,with what I call reach around affect as far as detecting nonferrous.

Rutus seems a bit quicker than Impact with some reactive settings.

Rutus is layed out nice with tone options, notch, recovery speed options, and with being able to normalize to 6khz.

For modern trash sites wearing stock sized coils,,my first choice Rutus, then Impact, then Deus.
This ranking here doesn't consider any other model detectors.
If we include some of them obviously this order likely to change somewhat.

Impact's audio vs Rutus is I think more digital sounding,,sweeter.

I have done very few head to heads comparing Rutus to Impact.
Have done more comparing Deus to Rutus.

Thanks TNSS, nice explanations! Too bad a small DD sniper coil isn't available for the Rutus.

Headed down the beach to try the Rutus, but Sean Bean was there with a film crew doing a scene for the Frankenstein Chronicles!
Seems we're a popular county for films, the current Star Wars film was shot here as is the series the Game of Thrones.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2017-06-03 12.45.48.jpg
    2017-06-03 12.45.48.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 702
Tomorrow I will have a go again with the Rutus Alter alongside the riverbanks here. Waterlevel is quite low so more space to detect. :cool:
My main detectors are the Deeptech Vista Smart and Rutus Alter 71
Both top machines but very different. The Vista Smart is a bleep and dig machine. Acts very direct, both fast and deep, feels agressive in your hands. It gives the confidence that you won't miss a thing. Still my no#1 machine when I only have one shot at a certain location, or where I want to dig every crack above iron (mediëval or roman sites)
The riverbanks are a different story though with all that modern trash and changing conditions. Here the Rutus Alter 71 shines because it is so adaptable and versatile.
Now I can actually avoid a lot of the trash because the Rutus gives me so much more info through audio and visual display (VDI and hodograph).
It makes searching more pleasant and fun. Glad I have my Rutus. I can set it to go faster than my Vista Smart, and I can set it to go deeper.
But.. not both at the same time!
If I set the Rutus to go faster then my Vista, it will loose on depth. If I set the Rutus to go deeper than the Vista Smart I will need a (very) slow swingspeed.
So when it only comes to rough power with both speed and depth in one go, the Vista wins.
In all the other divisions (discrimination, quality of audio, visual information, build quality, versatility and being able to tune your detector to match the circumstances, the Rutus wins, hands down.
All IMHO, ofcourse.
Hopefully some goodies for me tomorrow!:lol:

Tomorrow I will have a go again with the Rutus Alter alongside the riverbanks here. Waterlevel is quite low so more space to detect. :cool:
My main detectors are the Deeptech Vista Smart and Rutus Alter 71
Both top machines but very different. The Vista Smart is a bleep and dig machine. Acts very direct, both fast and deep, feels agressive in your hands. It gives the confidence that you won't miss a thing. Still my no#1 machine when I only have one shot at a certain location, or where I want to dig every crack above iron (mediëval or roman sites)
The riverbanks are a different story though with all that modern trash and changing conditions. Here the Rutus Alter 71 shines because it is so adaptable and versatile.
Now I can actually avoid a lot of the trash because the Rutus gives me so much more info through audio and visual display (VDI and hodograph).
It makes searching more pleasant and fun. Glad I have my Rutus. I can set it to go faster than my Vista Smart, and I can set it to go deeper.
But.. not both at the same time!
If I set the Rutus to go faster then my Vista, it will loose on depth. If I set the Rutus to go deeper than the Vista Smart I will need a (very) slow swingspeed.
So when it only comes to rough power with both speed and depth in one go, the Vista wins.
In all the other divisions (discrimination, quality of audio, visual information, build quality, versatility and being able to tune your detector to match the circumstances, the Rutus wins, hands down.
All IMHO, ofcourse.
Hopefully some goodies for me tomorrow!:lol:
Thanks for a great comparison post!! These are the two detectors I've been looking at should I upgrade in the future. Is it true you can only discriminate up to foil on the Vista? I like the simplicity of the Deeptech machines, but in most of the places I hunt, with all the modern trash, I would be digging a lot of junk.

Thanks for a great comparison post!! These are the two detectors I've been looking at should I upgrade in the future. Is it true you can only discriminate up to foil on the Vista? I like the simplicity of the Deeptech machines, but in most of the places I hunt, with all the modern trash, I would be digging a lot of junk.

True, the Vista Smart discriminates within the iron range only.
Both absolute great machines, but for me the Rutus is more fun to use.
For coinshooting in parks etc.. full of modern trash, Rutus all the way.:yes:

Eventually got to play with the Rutus for a short time on the sand.
This beach is dead clean, hardly a bit of alu, coin or foil, so nothing interesting found, even had to bury a coin to test!
Dry fluffy sand, no problem,
At the shoreline, no good,
Halfway between fluffy sand and shoreline, average.
I could run high khz in the fluffy sand, got deep no issue, the further i ventured down towards the shoreline i had to drop khz, and the killer was having to re-ground balance.
I also tried the F19, i ran it in all metal as it gave realtime GB info, just a quick 2 pumps on the ground grab, and keep detecting, not anywhere near as deep in the fluffy sand as the Rutus, but it ran better closer to the shoreline than the Rutus.
Rutus GB anywhere from -80 in the fulffy sand to -6 near the water.

Went to the river Rhine this afternoon, the Rhine was the Northernmost border of the Roman Empire on Mainland Europe.
Here my RA71 found its first Roman silver!:aok:
It is a Denarius from Julia Maesa, struck in Rome (221/222 AD)
Came in pretty low 52/53 on the VDI (12 kHz). Approx. 20 cm deep. Same VDI above ground. (reaction 4, mask 3, 12 kHz, sens 80, no disc)

Me happy!:extrahappy:

denarius_rijn.jpg

denarius_kz_rijn.jpg

denarius_limes.jpg

denarius_limes_kz.jpg

Cracking coin Vinnie!

Went to the river Rhine this afternoon, the Rhine was the Northernmost border of the Roman Empire on Mainland Europe.
Here my RA71 found its first Roman silver!:aok:
It is a Denarius from Julia Maesa, struck in Rome (221/222 AD)
Came in pretty low 52/53 on the VDI (12 kHz). Approx. 20 cm deep. Same VDI above ground. (reaction 4, mask 3, 12 kHz, sens 80, no disc)

Me happy!:extrahappy:

denarius_rijn.jpg

denarius_kz_rijn.jpg

denarius_limes.jpg

denarius_limes_kz.jpg

That's a great find, Vinnie!

To those of us in the middle of the USA, a coin struck in the 1800s is old. I can't imagine finding one that old!

Any idea what it's worth?

That's a great find, Vinnie!

To those of us in the middle of the USA, a coin struck in the 1800s is old. I can't imagine finding one that old!

Any idea what it's worth?

Not much, the coin is a damaged and not rare. For me there is only historical value, a piece of history from my own region saved.
The oldest coin I have ever found is from the Roman Republic dated 110-112 B.C. Found it 5 years ago using a Golden mask 1+

Not much, the coin is a damaged and not rare. For me there is only historical value, a piece of history from my own region saved.
The oldest coin I have ever found is from the Roman Republic dated 110-112 B.C. Found it 5 years ago using a Golden mask 1+

Looks to me to be in great shape for an 1800 year old coin. What a cool find!!

I wanted to try wireless headphones with the Rutus. The Alter 71 does have wireless capability built in and Rutus sells a receiver that clips to the belt that allows you to use any headphones with a 3.5mm jack. However, there was some question on receiving this module in the US since it hadn't gotten FCC approval.

I decided to go with Garrett's Z-Lynk system since I have an AT-Pro and may add to my arsenal in the future.

It works flawlessly with the Rutus. The cords are easily routed through the covers and the transmitter connects in the space between the cuff and the grip. I can't tell a difference in the sound and the Z-Lynk has no lag.

I'm on vacation next week and hope to have a lot of quality time with the Rutus.

The Rutus module is very similar to the z-link, and it's the type i much prefer, being able to swap out from heavy headphones to ear buds when it gets hot is great!

Attachments

• 2017-05-17 10.44.32.jpg
    2017-05-17 10.44.32.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 565
Most of my permissions are in crop or long grass, but the Rutus still gave a cracking signal (though you can't hear it as i had my wireless headphones on) in the long wet grass, decent depth considering it's as dry as a bone under the sod.
https://youtu.be/SCLqChLdePw

Back
Top Bottom