When is it time to upgrade?

hootyDigz

I've been thinking that upgrading from my BH tk IV would enhance my experience. However, I've been having a good time with the tracker. When do you know it's time to upgrade? I was looking at a Delta 4000, what does something like that model do that the bounty Hunter doesn't? I'm trying to figure out if I actually need to upgrade or if I'm just trying to feel good by making a purchase. Thanks for any advice

I've been thinking that upgrading from my BH tk IV would enhance my experience. However, I've been having a good time with the tracker. When do you know it's time to upgrade? I was looking at a Delta 4000, what does something like that model do that the bounty Hunter doesn't? I'm trying to figure out if I actually need to upgrade or if I'm just trying to feel good by making a purchase. Thanks for any advice

I don't have the Delta 4000 but I do have a Gamma 6000 that I kept that was my first machine and I still love that Machine !! the Teknetics Line is really good ! I "think" one of the differences between the 4000 and 6000 is the ability to Auto Ground balance.

I upgraded only when I thought that the unit i had was quite possibly hindering finds. once that starts to set in, it'll bug ya til you get a better one lol. i started with the f2 and now i run an f5. still not the best unit in the world but it's fun! F70 is my dreamboat i do believe, and i'll upgrade to it when it makes sense. i think it's more of a feel thing. :)

I upgraded only when I thought that the unit i had was quite possibly hindering finds. once that starts to set in, it'll bug ya til you get a better one lol. i started with the f2 and now i run an f5. still not the best unit in the world but it's fun! F70 is my dreamboat i do believe, and i'll upgrade to it when it makes sense. i think it's more of a feel thing. :)

This is exactly what i'm getting worked up about. I have the sinking feeling that my detector is passing right over interesting finds without alerting. I have no idea how much better a different machine works, but i'm starting to get a little paranoid..... :laughing:

SoOregonMd, nice to see another S. Oregonian. If you ever come to Kfalls and want someone to go with let me know :cool3:

When to upgrade

As soon as the wife lets you , but seriously have you tried adding the 4" coil to the one you have , lets you get in closer to play ground equipment and metal fences. Not a very expensive way to add to the unit you have. Never hurts to have a second or third unit and always nice to have one as a back up or to loan to a friend who is interested. I started with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV took it on vacation to the Philippines ,reading the instructions on the plane. Got to a public beach started finding coins right away , had no ideal what I was doing but got hooked. Took the same detector back 2017 that same beach was so trashy wasn't worth detecting. Did hit a private hotel beach and found coins. I took the 4" coil on that trip much better in trashy areas.

As soon as the wife lets you , but seriously have you tried adding the 4" coil to the one you have , lets you get in closer to play ground equipment and metal fences. Not a very expensive way to add to the unit you have. Never hurts to have a second or third unit and always nice to have one as a back up or to loan to a friend who is interested. I started with the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV took it on vacation to the Philippines ,reading the instructions on the plane. Got to a public beach started finding coins right away , had no ideal what I was doing but got hooked. Took the same detector back 2017 that same beach was so trashy wasn't worth detecting. Did hit a private hotel beach and found coins. I took the 4" coil on that trip much better in trashy areas.

Great idea! Didn't realize that was an option. I've seen enough poking around this forum that seems to indicate it's not a terrible machine. Maybe I'll keep using it till I have enough nickels to buy a REALLY nice machine.

4 " coil

Great idea! Didn't realize that was an option. I've seen enough poking around this forum that seems to indicate it's not a terrible machine. Maybe I'll keep using it till I have enough nickels to buy a REALLY nice machine.
Here is a link and picture of the 4" coil made for that machine and the diffrent machines it will work with.
https://www.metaldetector.com/bounty-hunter-4-inch-search-coil Also depending on what you are wanting to spend , I picked up a brand-new Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 on sale at Christmas time last year for $85.00 which is probably cheaper than I payed for my first bounty hunter tracker IV. I haven't had it out to try yet but feature wise it looks to be very similar to my Fisher F4 which at the time I bought it was going close to the $400.00 range. I think it has been replaced by the F44 . On my Fisher F4 I also have a 4" coil that lets me get in closer to fences and play ground equipment. The 4" coil I have for the Tracker IV will also now work on my Discovery 3300. Some times having a extra coil is almost like having a second machine.

I'm not saying to never consider upgrading later if budget restrictions is not a concern, but if you are having fun with the Tracker IV and finding stuff there is no need to rush into a new detector right away (Dave had a good idea about trying a 4" coil though) maybe eventually someone with a higher end model will be in your area to hunt with and you can see if there is enough of a difference or not for the areas you might normally detect.

The BH Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV or maybe just want some extra tips -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

Good stuff. Based on what i've read here, i think i'll keep playing with the BH. I think maybe there's no great reason to upgrade just yet. Thanks all!

I started with the Ace 350. love it, found some good stuff.

first upgrade was a sniper coil.

A few years later, I felt I might be missing stuff in my yard that I constantly hunt, and upgraded to an At Pro.

The features of the At Pro gave more information about a target.

even with the additional info, you have to dig to be 100% sure, unless you can already see the target.

I tried to predict what the target might be based on what information the Machine provided me, and confirmed by digging the target.

The At Pro provided more information about a target than did the Ace 350

Then I upgraded to the 5 x 8 coil for the pro, and quickly learned I liked it better than the stock coil.

Love the Garrett's, but decided to try a detector that claimed to have increased capabilities, so I just bought a Equinox 600.

Time will tell...

Time to upgrade? Depends on sites you have lined up to hunt and budget.

JMPO...I wouldn't upgrade to anything less that a mid range unit with a ground balancing feature, nor would I invest in more accessories to a Bounty Hunter 4. I would suggest waiting until you have at least a $300 budget and shop for a good, used mid range detector. The market has lots of them these days.

You'll enjoy the added depth and the added features.

JMPO...I wouldn't upgrade to anything less that a mid range unit with a ground balancing feature, nor would I invest in more accessories to a Bounty Hunter 4. I would suggest waiting until you have at least a $300 budget and shop for a good, used mid range detector. The market has lots of them these days.

Great advice. I don't do Facebook so I don't see things for sale there, however I'm always looking on Craigslist in my area for those used deals :yes:

Man I know your having fun with your machine. And if that is all someone can afford I understand. But if you could swing about 400.00 I would get at least the Teknetics Omega. It is light years ahead of the one your using. If you cannot go that high at least get the Teknetics eurotek pro. It is a good machine for the money.

( Don't forget to check the for sale area on this site ) FOR SALE OR TRADE
Might find some thing you like a used at a good price .

I look at the for sale forums on each of the three metal detecting sites I frequent, even if I don't need anything. The sponsors will also post about used detectors they have also. I think that Craigslist would likely be a long shot but one thing is for certain...a unit would likely be a steal in certain cases there.

I have been lucky. A few of my friends have had deals and I have bought locally. You will have fun simply watching what is for sale, even if you aren't ready to buy.

used machines

I look at the for sale forums on each of the three metal detecting sites I frequent, even if I don't need anything. The sponsors will also post about used detectors they have also. I think that Craigslist would likely be a long shot but one thing is for certain...a unit would likely be a steal in certain cases there.

I have been lucky. A few of my friends have had deals and I have bought locally. You will have fun simply watching what is for sale, even if you aren't ready to buy.

Don't forget to check Pawn shops some time a bargain will show up.

You cant go wrong with the Garrett ATPro. I like mine a lot and have been using it about a year...……..

accessories

The 4" coil I picked up for my Bounty hunter 4 wasn't very expensive and sure let me get closer to fences and play ground equipment. Also helped in trashy areas , and since I picked up a brand new Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 super cheap last Christmas it should also work on it. I also added a 4" coil for my Fisher F4 which really let me get much closer to fences and play ground equipment that the large stock coil that came with the machine. I have taken the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to the Philippines twice once with the 8 " coil and the last time with the 4 " coil , because the coins are made of diffrent metals than our coins I hunt in all metal mode over there anyway. Seems to me having a couple of size coils is almost like having to diffrent machines. Last year I sent one of the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to one of my wifes nephews in the Philippines as a gift , he became very interested my last trip and asked lots of questions. Now he may be the only one in his area with a detector if he sticks with it.

Back
Top Bottom