View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by z118 View post
Great post! I have been confused about these features on my Sov GT, but I now understand what the threshold hum represents and how the threshold knob differs from the volume knob.
Thanks. That was the intent of my post.

What I can't figure out is why the threshold volume level slowly increases as I hunt without me touching any of the controls; enough so that I need to continue adjusting it down every 20 minutes or so.
It is happening either because of drift in the electronics (changes as it warms up or with time), or as you move around the soil mineralization changes enough that you should re-ground balance. There is a close connection between the threshold volume and the ground balance setting.

What I also don't understand is why the threshold volume goes from inaudible to painfully loud with maybe a 1 degree turn of the knob. Any insight from the Sov users out there?
I'm not a Sov user so I can't answer that one for sure. It may be a case of the electronics being too sensitive to small changes in the setting, or a bad potentiometer (the electrical item the knob is adjusting). Hopefully another Sov user or two will jump in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The one lesson we've learned from history is that
we have not learned any of history's lessons.

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 144051 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!