Kinda disappointed

Semtav

Elite Member
Thought I'd do a simple separation test with my MXT and BH qd 2. The mxt failed miserably. Nothing one way and a low probability the other. At least the qd identified it properly 90 deg to the coins. Cant they mask if they are inches away Would a small coil help the mxt that much to separate objects close together. I notice the qd can get right up to a fence and the mxt has to stay a couple feet away.

5e55e1038a2405cb8ba0f8b59fe178f2.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Small coil always helps, but you will find Whites machines do not perform well in trash. The sport with 7 in coil did better than any I tested ,but still a far cry from a Deus or Impact type performance.

Small coil always helps, but you will find Whites machines do not perform well in trash. The sport with 7 in coil did better than any I tested ,but still a far cry from a Deus or Impact type performance.

I've been pretty fortunate with the with the areas I've hunted to find so much, but now I'm starting to see why I don't find much in the trashy areas. Now at least I can go back over them with the hopes of finding good stuff. Digging every signal is not an option in places other than parks at present, because we haven't had any appreciable moisture since last September and the ground is like a rock.

I would be curious to see the tests with the sport and how they were done, love learning more about my machine. To me it seems that my sport actually does really well in seperation, not sure about the mxt though. The thing I've found with the sport is most crank up the sensitivity too high actually creating problems with masking and seperation. This machine already runs hot naturally without cranking that sensitivity. If you keep it lower it still goes plenty deep and actually does really well in trash with the 7 inch coil. I have never used a dues or impact though.

When I had an MXT Pro, I had good hunts using an SEF 8x6 coil. It performed really good in trashy parks. Just a suggestion.:D

The thing I've found with the sport is most crank up the sensitivity too high actually creating problems with masking and seperation. This machine already runs hot naturally without cranking that sensitivity.

That's one thing Mud Puppy touched on earlier and something I need to experiment more with. I run it pretty high.

One thing, I think the MXT is an excellent "Walk About " machine.
I don't know how many times I've jumped out of my outfit and just kinda wondered around aimlessly and scored right off the bat, only to come back later and spend lots of time and not find anything else.

perhaps I need to just use it to find the good spots and then switch to a different detector when I get to the trashy areas.

When I had an MXT Pro, I had good hunts using an SEF 8x6 coil. It performed really good in trashy parks. Just a suggestion.:D

Thanks ZR, I will probably get a smaller coil at some point. I've never been good at selling anything so I doubt I will part with the MXT

If you would put the 6" eclipse shooter coil on your MXT and try that again, I believe you would be amazed at the difference. Big coils are a very big problem for detectors in trash.

Hunting any trashy area with a big coil is like hunting squirrels with a rocket launcher. You might get that squirrel you want once in a while but you will most definitely get a lot of what you don't want as well.

Hunting any trashy area with a big coil is like hunting squirrels with a rocket launcher. You might get that squirrel you want once in a while but you will most definitely get a lot of what you don't want as well.

Exactly! Best coils i had for whites were the Excellerator 4.5x7 and the 5 inch round one. Sef 8x6 should be better than the stock one by a long shot. When i said Whites was not great at separation in trash i should clarify, when i say trashy,my sites sound like your firing a machine gun when you sweep the coil. I hunt places most people would walk away from and i do not blame them. Slightly trashy spots get a small coil and you will be amazed how much better you do.

Thanks Guys. I really can't complain about the MXT. It has really done me well my first year with the way I hunt and the places I've hunted. Now I'll get to rehunt some of those places I thought just had junk and gave up on.

Maybe you could try a machine with a faster processor like a t2 or f75 those machines are very fast even though I don't care for the tones on them and depth is good too .

Maybe you could try a machine with a faster processor like a t2 or f75 those machines are very fast even though I don't care for the tones on them and depth is good too .

I bought my neighbor a patriot and used it a little. Hadn't got used to the tones in the short hunt to do much good but they are way different than the MXT tones. We will get out some and compare when we get moisture this fall ( I hope). I have a racer and safari coming, that I will test out against the patriot and mxt.

Exactly! Best coils i had for whites were the Excellerator 4.5x7 and the 5 inch round one. Sef 8x6 should be better than the stock one by a long shot. When i said Whites was not great at separation in trash i should clarify, when i say trashy,my sites sound like your firing a machine gun when you sweep the coil. I hunt places most people would walk away from and i do not blame them. Slightly trashy spots get a small coil and you will be amazed how much better you do.

I hunt places like that which make my machine develop a new language. I rock the 7 inch dd and its marvelous in the trash.

This is why I still like the MXT. Got out of my pickup and it homed in on the "only" dime :D:D:D in a hundred yard radius. 53 Rosie 10 seconds in to the hunt. Nothing the next half HR.

26d6e6d9592fe8325c1589ddd722d342.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom