Got my Nox 600, Is it defective, or am I??

DorkyDeric

So, I got my Equinox 600, all excited to play with it, went through the quick start, and all it did was chirp loudly and act erratically. When I am on the detect screen, the numbers just go all over the place, whether the MD is on the ground or in the air and it continues to chirp. Then, when I switch it over to pinpoint mode, it quiets down mostly, but no matter where I set it to the ground (no metal) it hums loudly like it detects something.

I did a factory reset, because it said you should be able to use the MD right out of the box, and I was hoping that resetting it would remedy it, but it didn't. So, I thought, maybe it's the ground balance (as I have no experience with ground balance function) so I tried to adjust that, manually and with the auto function. Nothing. Then, when my partner got home, he helped me with it and we tried the sensitivity. That seemed to help mostly, BUT, according to the manual (which Minelab did not send with the MD and I still do not understand why :?:) a new user should have it at 20, and the highest I can have it at is around 13-14, before it starts acting up.

So, my conclusions are these. Either my brand new Minelab Equinox 600 is defective or the soil and power lines are affecting it's function (possibly?), but I have had no issues with my past two MD's in my yard, or I am just doing something completely wrong and just need to adjust something. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks...

I don't have a 600 (haven't drank the koolaid yet :) ) but have you tried the basics? New batteries (or fully charge them if they're rechargable), make sure the connector for the coil is tight and not cockeyed, and make sure the cable isn't loose around the shaft?

I don't have a 600 (haven't drank the koolaid yet :) ) but have you tried the basics? New batteries (or fully charge them if they're rechargable), make sure the connector for the coil is tight and not cockeyed, and make sure the cable isn't loose around the shaft?

Battery on it is rechargeable and it has a full charge, but that is a good idea, I will try readjusting the cable and check the connector. I appreciate the suggestion!

When I first got the equinox 800 and turned it on, it went into a craze as well. But after fully charging the battery and going out the next day, it ran normal.

Cell phones can cause this so you can put your phone on airplane mode to reduce interference.

Sounds like EMI. Did you do a noise cancel?

Great point

did noise canceling help? did you try single frequencies to see if it was emi while in Multi?

Sounds like EMI and noise canceling and/or switching to single frequencies should help confirm this. Testing in another location would as well.

Sounds like EMI. Did you do a noise cancel?

Great point

did you try single frequencies to see if it was emi while in Multi?

Sounds like EMI and noise canceling and/or switching to single frequencies should help confirm this. Testing in another location would as well.

I haven't tried the noise cancel yet, but that is another great suggestion. I will try that also. I did try switching the frequencies with no luck, but testing the frequencies after working on the noise cancel might help. It stumps me because my other MD's were fine at this location, BUT, this is not my other MDs. So, perhaps seeing what another location is like would be a good idea, like you suggested.

You can down load the full manual and print it from the Minelab web site. The small instruction sheet you got with the detector will help you understand the functions. Make sure your coil is connected properly to the readout. Something is giving you noise ??

A direct answer? It does sound defective to me. If sensitivity set at 13-14 still doesn't fix that problem, and you have done a factory reset once already, it don't sound good to me.

Hello,
It IS NOT DEFECTIVE!
I dealt with this with my 800 and thought the same thing.
Your issue is more than likely the sensitivity setting (EMI present). The machine is a VERY sensitive, high gain machine that will take practice to master. (not claiming I am after 100hrs!)
Find a nice spot and perform a noise cancel IF YOU HAVE TO. Remember a noise cancel is a filter just like the iron bias and recovery speed and will affect detector performance. (worry about these settings later)
Start out in Park 1, default settings.
Perform a noise cancel for now.
Ground balance and run auto tracking.
Keep adjusting the sens setting down until the unit calms down, you may have to set it as low if EMI is present.
When you are out at a spot, keep adjusting the sensitivity setting as high as you can without the machine becoming unstable. Some areas I hunt it can be ran at 25 and some are under 17.
Swing at a 2 to 3 second axis to axis with good coil control.
When you have mastered Park 1 and the settings, then its time for park 2 and field 2 and really open up the machine.
HH!

Before we can say its defective , you have to try it at a different location. Factory reset , noise cancel . and reducing the sensitivity normally are go to moves when diagnosing a problem , but if the EF interference is bad enough none of these may clear it up. Try it at a different location , see how it works there. Make sure cable connector is on properly and sufficiently tightened down.

If it does this at every location then its probably defective , but if it don't then you just happen to have EMI in just the right frequency and strength to be a real pain I that location.

I have an area in my yard where the equinox will go crazy , but my AT pro does fine. There is a school in my area where my AT pro goes crazy and the whole area just drives the pro nuts , but the equinox has no problems.

and no joke, either put your cellphone in Airplane mode or leave it in your car, they REALLY don't play well with cellphones.

If you detect places like I occasionally detect, you'd get another detector instead of leaving your cell phone in the car. 911 at your side is great to have for multiple reasons. I'd be OK with airplane mode.

beephead

I haven't tried the noise cancel yet, but that is another great suggestion. I will try that also. I did try switching the frequencies with no luck, but testing the frequencies after working on the noise cancel might help. It stumps me because my other MD's were fine at this location, BUT, this is not my other MDs. So, perhaps seeing what another location is like would be a good idea, like you suggested.

Any update on this?

Any update on this?

Haven’t had much time to mess with it, due to work and travel, but I’ve tried all of the above, in my front yard, where I am having the most erratic behavior (I have just noticed) and none of it worked. Then, when I go to the back yard, I have a much better result. It’s not perfect, but it is way better. I really need to get it to another location to give it a better test, I just haven’t been able to.

My conclusion thus far: With everyone’s help and suggestions, it seems like EMI and I am not used to such a sensitive machine. So, I need to take a deep breath and work with it a little more. I just got worried when I would see the videos on YouTube when someone would do a factory reset and theirs would sound all nice and I’d think “hey, mine doesn’t sound like that at all!” Once I get it to another location next week, I’ll post my outcome. Thank you again, everybody, I really appreciate it! :D:D:D

If you detect places like I occasionally detect, you'd get another detector instead of leaving your cell phone in the car. 911 at your side is great to have for multiple reasons. I'd be OK with airplane mode.

beephead

If you are hunting in areas where you feel you need a cellphone to potentially call 911 then you either need to get a concealed carry permit or hunt somewhere else. Absolutely no potential treasure is worth a risk to your well-being. Be smart, be safe.

By the time the cops respond they will be calling an abulance to retrieve you. Police response time is to slow.

Haven’t had much time to mess with it, due to work and travel, but I’ve tried all of the above, in my front yard, where I am having the most erratic behavior (I have just noticed) and none of it worked. Then, when I go to the back yard, I have a much better result. It’s not perfect, but it is way better. I really need to get it to another location to give it a better test, I just haven’t been able to.

My conclusion thus far: With everyone’s help and suggestions, it seems like EMI and I am not used to such a sensitive machine. So, I need to take a deep breath and work with it a little more. I just got worried when I would see the videos on YouTube when someone would do a factory reset and theirs would sound all nice and I’d think “hey, mine doesn’t sound like that at all!” Once I get it to another location next week, I’ll post my outcome. Thank you again, everybody, I really appreciate it! :D:D:D

My v3i is completely unusable in my front yard. Underground electric lines is probably the problem.

Back
Top Bottom