Another, "Always check your clad", thread

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I dug about $80 in clad this year so far, which I think is not bad because I haven't got in anywhere near the hunting time in as last year due to life stuff.

That's ok, I just enjoy my time out in the heat and dirt that much more when I do get my chances.

Have dug a few gold rings and some other cool stuff this year so I am a happy camper.

I finally got the urge to start cleaning my real dirty clad last night, and after my first load of pennies and clad in my double tumbler, I took a closer look before dumping them into my clean piles to get ready for rolling.

These three beauties popped out of the pile and put a smile on my face.
Now don't laugh...I don't usually hunt in areas that have all that neat old stuff like you other guys find with your Barbers and standing libs and Indian heads, so when something like these come out of the ground I am thrilled.
I have no idea exactly where I dug these either, they are so covered with hard red dirt sometimes you can't even rub it off in the field.

I do usually check a little closer and do a little cleaning when I bring my coins home at the end of a hunt...but these 3 somehow, I missed.

A 44 wheat penny, a 53 D nickel and a 1947 S nickel, a mint mark that has always been a rare find on my side of the country.

Not a Morgan, Walker, or any silver in the bunch, but these three coins sure did make me smile!

Always check your clad, folks, something good could be hiding under all that dirt and you might not know it!

HH

Attachments

• old coins.jpg
    old coins.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 478
I share your pain on the red dirt. The drought has made the ground so hard you almost need a hammer to drive a shovel into the ground.

His methods are deceptive Sam. He uses a tumbler and then takes a picture using a flash. That's his secret.

I've found lots of wheats doing what Digger said. After every load of coins I tumble I check all the nickels and pennies. So far I've found some older nickels and about 5 or 6 wheaties, mostly 44s. Something about those 44s...

His methods are deceptive Sam. He uses a tumbler and then takes a picture using a flash. That's his secret.

I've found lots of wheats doing what Digger said. After every load of coins I tumble I check all the nickels and pennies. So far I've found some older nickels and about 5 or 6 wheaties, mostly 44s. Something about those 44s...

Ok Mr.Give all my secrets away!
I will have you know it is the light from my eyes, not a flash...

Ok, a little bit of my xenon lamp, but I still have beautiful eyes...the girlfriend told me so!

Back
Top Bottom