Pin pointers... Garrett is all i know... but considering whites trx or minelab profind.

marro

Finally got some cash to pick up a PP. Originally wanted to branch out from Garrett (had the black pro pointer). Oddly had a bad experience with the AT pro but Garrett did come through with good customer service on a few issues i had... the pro pointer did pretty well over the years but gave up... (i guess it owed me nothing). Now im kinda chickening out on trying something different.
Thoughts and comments appreciated

Never used a pf so I can't help with that. I use a trx and a f pulse. The trx is DEEP and it's like a flashlight beam in detection. That makes it much better than any of the others when digging narrow holes. The f pulse and other quality PPs work as good or better (faster) in big holes.

Last edited:
I've tried several different pin-pointers and found that the Garrett Carrot Stick works best for me.

beephead

Never used a pf so I can't help with that. I use a trx and a f pulse. The trx is DEEP and it's like a flashlight beam in detection. That makes it much better than any of the others when digging narrow holes. The f pulse and other quality PPs work as good or better (faster) in big holes.

"I use a trx and a f pulse. The trx is DEEP and it's like a flashlight beam in detection. That makes it much better than any of the others when digging narrow holes. The f pulse and other quality PPs work as good or better (faster) in big holes."

I carry both the TRX and F-pulse also.

I use the Profind and it's a heck of a pinpointer!

For me, the pinpointer is *not* a detector. I honestly don't know why people need them to go "deep." That is what the detector is for. The profind is awesome but you know what? I ran the fisher f-point for many years at first, and even though it only went an inch "deep," I had already done my pinpointing and narrowing while i was on my feet, so i didn't care. By the time i dug i was already within quarter inch of the object; the pinpointer is just supposed to be a helper, not a do everything detector. :D

Just received my bullseye trx today. Looks awesome out the box and air tested great. One striking difference from my Garrett is that it seems a little less rugged than the pro pointer. That thing seemed like you could beat someone over the head with it and do some damage.
Any who cant wait to check it out!
I learned one thing being without a quality pin pointer... depth does matter! As you know sometimes your MD just misses the mark and you just don't have to go either too deep or too shallow.. a quality pin pointer really picks up the slack.

Garrett carrot is one I used for years. But switched to Minelab Prop find 35 when i bought my nox 800.

Main advantage it has over the carrot is you have a plus and minus sensitivity button so you don't have to cycle thru all the sensitivity settings like the carrot just to go back one notch.

also can tell the difference between a non-ferrous and ferrous target by the continuous beep.

Otherwise both are great pin pointers.

I use the profind, too, and absolutely love it. i swear though, sometimes i still miss the f-point i lost. :D so ridiculously simple.

I just received my first non-Garrett pinpointer. I went with the XP MI4. Haven’t had it out yet.

Just received my bullseye trx today. Looks awesome out the box and air tested great. One striking difference from my Garrett is that it seems a little less rugged than the pro pointer. That thing seemed like you could beat someone over the head with it and do some damage.
I learned one thing being without a quality pin pointer... depth does matter! As you know sometimes your MD just misses the mark and you just don't have to go either too deep or too shallow.. a quality pin pointer really picks up the slack.

I think you will like the TRX, the way it detects off the tip really does point to the target once you figure it out. The owners manual is worthless, youtube does a better job.
Turn it on in the air and wait 2 seconds before you hit the hole.
While it's beeping a quick push of the button decreases the power when it's not beeping a quick push increases the power.

Very good choice, The tip only sensing and not up the shaft is the main reason I like it so much. After all the term "pin pointer" to me seems to say that the target is right there and not just in the area. Take time and measure across the tip of the pointer and go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a package of those plastic chair leg tips of that size. This tip protection will keep ur pointer in great shape for years. Good luck.

I have been using a carrot clone and it's not half bad. I debated between the xp pointer and the TRX and decided that, due to the tip sensing that will likely where I end up, at least when my wallet catches up.

Hey RS. FWIW I have an AT (carrot). I'm happy enough, but a friend has the TRX and I am very intrigued by the tip only accuracy. I've often thought it might be the next choice if the AT ever dies. I use a Deus, so have considered the MI6, but with the amount of connection and battery indication issues I've had, I'm hesitant to send XP any more moneys (great machine, but kind of a pain to get repaired, as I was aware of) Just my 2¢. HH and all the best with your decision!

Last edited:
Garrett carrot is one I used for years. But switched to Minelab Prop find 35 when i bought my nox 800.

Main advantage it has over the carrot is you have a plus and minus sensitivity button so you don't have to cycle thru all the sensitivity settings like the carrot just to go back one notch.

also can tell the difference between a non-ferrous and ferrous target by the continuous beep.

Otherwise both are great pin pointers.

I also just purchased a Minelab Pro find 35 to go with my recently purchased Nox600 . I should be getting it today . I also like my Garrett Carrot .The ferrous/non ferrous feature drew me to buying the 35 .I'm looking forward to see how this baby works .

Hey RS. FWIW I have an AT (carrot). I'm happy enough, but a friend has the TRX and I am very intrigued by the tip only accuracy. I've often thought it might be the next choice if the AT ever dies. I use a Deus, so have considered the MI6, but with the amount of connection and battery indication issues I've had, I'm hesitant to send XP any more moneys (great machine, but kind of a pain to get repaired, as I was aware of) Just my 2¢. HH and all the best with your decision!
Thanks. Just sold my flowpan for 70 bucks....only another 80 to go....ouch.

Back
Top Bottom