STERLING, SILVER, a COOL LOCK PLATE, and a WHEAT HARVEST

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Last Saturday as I was waiting to hear back about a neighborhood permission I decided to hit the local park again. I had a promising Sun. permission but didn't want to wait till Sun. Dating back to 1920, this park although well hunted over the years still gives up some goodies. I was digging clad as usual, most hunts give up between 3 and 5 bucks of the dirty stuff. My last 3 trips had produced silver but as the sun went down no shiny had showed up. I finally got a deep repeatable 18-22. About 7in. down I saw a little glint of silver and saw a tiny bent up ring. Ok sterling # 6 fty. I haven't had much luck with jewelry this year. Shortly after I got a solid 12-all directions showing about 4in. down. In this park that's usually the tab part of a pulltab, nickels will jump to 13. Hoping for a Buff I popped a 4in. plug and saw the coin stain flat on the bottom of the plug. In the hole was a pretty smooth nickel. Not a Buff but a 1902 V nickel. Laying flat at 4in. how did that get missed all these years. That is my oldest coin from this park. So almost 5 bucks in clad, the ring and V nickel, not a bad day by any means.

A 50 minute drive to get to my Sun. permission, a farm house circa 1890s I had high hopes for. The first thing I noticed was recent plugs still healing around the house. That kinda took the wind out of my sails a bit. The owner told me the house had sat vacant for a few years before she bought it. Very few deep signals, I did manage a buck or so in clad. Not one wheatie all day. In the afternoon I finally got a high tone that sounded promising 26-27 and out came a worn 1917 Merc. Later a good 39-40 showed a good deep target. Thinking big silver, at a full 8in.down out comes this pretty cool lock plate. Not much after that and not the hunt I had envisioned, Ihps, LCs some seated silvers but I still got shiny #61 fty and the cool lock plate. Lack of signals makes me think this place has been picked over pretty good and although welcome I'm not in a hurry to go back.

I did get the go ahead for the house that is only a 10 min. walk away. I hit that Wed. about noon. A 30s ish house with a postage stamp size front yard on a hard bend close to the road and a side yard that runs uphill. About 20 wide maybe 40 deep. EMI and ground grunt were just about constant and most signals were scratchy. I tried just about everything, single freq. Sensitivity down 10 before the EMI would let up. But the place started giving up Wheaties right away. 27 in all, unfortunately the ground was pretty hard on them, toasty but I was able to get dates off most of them. 40s &50s mainly with a couple from the 30s. In maybe a 5 foot area or so I had 3 nice digs in a row, first was a 3 wheatie spill, then I got a 12-13, up comes a 35 Buff, Turn around and get a sweet 26-27, about 3in. down I see shiny, a nice 42 Merc. Just about every coin I dug there was 3 in or less. My next Merc was a loud 25-26 that I thought was a shallow clad dime but just an inch down under the pine needles was a 44. The only 2 deep signals on the day was 27-28 next to the road and about 7in. down I got an old lock, crusty but cool, and a nickel signal gave up a small button at 6in. with an airplane on it. If anybody can shed some light on that, appreciate it. The great seal button was a loud 19-20 signal, again just under the pine needles and the lead ship maybe 2in. down. It was getting dark when I got another 26-27, it looked to be a clad dime but turned out to be another toasty 44 Merc. Cool, triple silver hunt, (been a while ) a record wheat harvest for me, 2 old buttons,a lock and a lead toy, and a little over 3 bucks in clad. My best hunt in a while, the only thing missing was a token, and I was trying for a war nickel, the best I could do was 39 & 41. Gonna head back there today to see what I missed. AND AGAIN sorry for the long post. HH Mark

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 204
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 242
  • s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 230
Nice work , lot's of nice goodies there ! Congrats and may you have more success on today's trip . I enjoyed the pictures and the commentary .

Awesome mixed bag hunts there! Love the lead ship! I got 2 of those Kiddiegem sterling rings this year. Fun to dig! Curious to learn if that airplane button has any interesting significance.

Awesome group of finds Mark. I think those kiddie brand rings were popular in the 20's and 30's. Congrats on the find including the V and silver.

A very nice week of hunting Mark. Congrats on the Merc's, the Sterling, the "V" and those very neat locks. Weather has put another damper on us Wisconsin boys for a bit. Hope to get out tomorrow again. Trapper

Nice work , lot's of nice goodies there ! Congrats and may you have more success on today's trip . I enjoyed the pictures and the commentary .
SS, Thank you, I did make it back, Pretty good day. HH Mark

Awesome mixed bag hunts there! Love the lead ship! I got 2 of those Kiddiegem sterling rings this year. Fun to dig! Curious to learn if that airplane button has any interesting significance.
Thank you sir, it was one of my better hunts this year and hope to get some info on the button. HH Mark

Awesome group of finds Mark. I think those kiddie brand rings were popular in the 20's and 30's. Congrats on the find including the V and silver.
Jason thank you, going into panic mode around here as the weather is starting to shut us down so trying to get out as much as possible and its been paying off. Soon we'll be thirsting for posts from you left coast guys to get us through winter. lol Good luck Mark
A very nice week of hunting Mark. Congrats on the Merc's, the Sterling, the "V" and those very neat locks. Weather has put another damper on us Wisconsin boys for a bit. Hope to get out tomorrow again. Trapper
Trapper, thank you sir. The ground here is getting stiff also but still doable. I made it out today for a few hours, only one silver but a good one. Good luck tomorrow. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom