Mars MD Universal shaft

choppadude

Forum Supporter
These caught my eye when they first came out solely because I already owned a Deus and the though of being able to set my other units up in the same fashioned appealed to me.
Now the only complaint I have heard about this set up is it requires you to "trim" the mounting post on your AT Pro/Ace series units. I am not positive but believe you may have to also do some modifications to fit a Whites unit to these shafts.
Regardless it was perfectly set for the unit I was using it for.

I purchased a AKA Sorex Pro detector from a forum sponsor. The unit is made in Russia and is a very nice detector with many features and settings that I have only begun to explore. The one thing that I did not like was the lower rod assembly. It has the same twist style clamp many units use such as the AT Pro, but it does not securely fix the lower shaft. I remedied this by applying 2 wraps of electrical tape around the shaft. Not my idea of a good fix but it was OK. The rest of the shaft seemed decent but I have never been a big fan of the S style shafts.

The Mars unit is set so that an AKA model head unit snaps right on as is. Just unsnap from stock rod and snap om Mar MD rod. Easily done in 5 seconds.
Then just affix the correct washers (unit comes with a ton of different size rubber washers) coil and bolt assembly, run the wire up the shaft and connect coil. That's it, ready to detect.
Another thing I like is the shaft locking mechanisms have a replaceable rubber pad that locks down the shaft. They also supply extra rubber pads!
This unit feels a little heavier than the Deus rod assembly but also feels a lot beefier in the handle section.
I paid $120 delivered for my assembly from eBay and I believe it is worth every penny.

This is pretty cool thanks for sharing.

For me it would only work for the ATPro, which I don't really use anymore, but I'd get one for that in a heartbeat, just the increased storage ability is cool enough on its own.

Back
Top Bottom