Sending my Pro-Pointer II for repairs

pan4au

Elite Member
I've been having trouble with my Pro-Pointer II. Sometimes when I turn it on it will not detect even though the LED lights up. I have to turn it of then back on to get it to work. I called Garrett today and got an RMA#. I'm going to drop it in the mail shortly..

Hopefully this goes better than the Pro-pointer I returned a couple of years back.. It would sometimes false.. After reciving it from repairs.. it falsed worse than before it was sent in. I called Garrett and explained the situation and was told that it was no longer covered under the warranty..

I've been having trouble with my Pro-Pointer II. Sometimes when I turn it on it will not detect even though the LED lights up. I have to turn it of then back on to get it to work. I called Garrett today and got an RMA#. I'm going to drop it in the mail shortly..

Hopefully this goes better than the Pro-pointer I returned a couple of years back.. It would sometimes false.. After reciving it from repairs.. it falsed worse than before it was sent in. I called Garrett and explained the situation and was told that it was no longer covered under the warranty..

I'd call them again. That ain't right that is came back from repairs and immediately wasn't fixed. All of my dealings with Garretts tells me another call could/should get that thing fixed. There's usually an inherent warranty on the repairs.

I argued my cased back then to no avail. I wasn't a happy camper after that. I bought a Deteknix XPointer. Then I bought the PP II I like the Garrett better..

Rebuild may not be the problem.

These new breed pin pointers are metal detectors in their own rights. Can not explain why, but sometimes they just dont ground balance out. I am considering going back to my old faithful black garret pp.

Not sure if this is true,but I was told from 2 people that Garrett will rebuild the propointer for 20 bucks,plus shipping.

That would be nice. I have known of at least one owner who got charged $45 though. That was a while back though.

I had a switch go bad, my fault since I tried to take it apart. Admitted it to the rep and he said the repair fee if there was one, would be around $25.

I'll use the old, or the XPointer, as a back up while I wait on the (max 10 business days turn around) BTW.. I had broke the switch in the old one and replaced it my self

I am lucky, it's a 30 minute drive to the factory. Walk it in, walk it out fixed in 30-45 minutes. Nice folks. My Carrot dropped volume and I'll get there before July and have that fixed. Always a place to detect around there anyway.

I got an email from Garrett.. I should have it back tomorrow.. Hopefully I can try it out this weekend.. If my hip & back lets me... Youth is wasted on the young.... I got so old that my everything hurts or my all over is sore..

I received the PP II back today. According to the invoice, the replaced the coil assembly and the case... It looks new.. I hope to use it this week-end

I'm going to have to send this back to Garrett. I used it Thursday and Friday it's still doing the same thing as listed in the first post.. along with that it will de-tune it's self..eg.. while pin pointing the target in the hole.. it will stopped detecting the target.. I have to turn it off then back on to get it to work correctly... (replacing the battery doesn't solve the problem)
I have had good service with Garrett products since the mid 80's with out any problems except for my last two pro-popinters..
So, I'll be calling them Tuesday for a RMA#..

I am lucky, it's a 30 minute drive to the factory. Walk it in, walk it out fixed in 30-45 minutes. Nice folks. My Carrot dropped volume and I'll get there before July and have that fixed. Always a place to detect around there anyway.

I had a friend that lived practically across the street from the factory. I guess he spent a lot of time there. He was able to get me some items at no cost that my local dealer said weren't available.

Is there any metal in proximity while you are turning it on?
Digger blade, keys in pocket, loose change, etc. will cause a detune at turn on. You probably have knowledge of this.. just posting for others with the same prob.
A loose battery connection might also cause this problem.

Is there any metal in proximity while you are turning it on?
Digger blade, keys in pocket, loose change, etc. will cause a detune at turn on. You probably have knowledge of this.. just posting for others with the same prob.
A loose battery connection might also cause this problem.
No. It detunes it's self while pin pointing not when it's turned on.. I can detune it my self when needed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I received the PPII back from Garrett today. It should be a new unit now as the coil, case and PCB were replaced per their packing slip. On the first repair the PCB wasn't replaced.. I shouldn't have any more problems with it... I hope anyway..

ProPointer II owners

Has any other ProPointer II owners had this problem with their PPII?

The reason that I ask is mine is STILL doing this.. It's been returned to Garrett twice.. According to their invoice.... everything has been replaced.. So, basically a new unit was returned to me.. I haven't seen any post where anyone else has had this problem.. That leads me to the conclusion that Garrrett couldn't find the problem and they just put my electronics into a new case and sent it back to me...

The reason that I ask is mine is STILL doing this.. It's been returned to Garrett twice.. According to their invoice.... everything has been replaced.. So, basically a new unit was returned to me.. I haven't seen any post where anyone else has had this problem.. That leads me to the conclusion that Garrrett couldn't find the problem and they just put my electronics into a new case and sent it back to me...

I have one right at 2 years old. I semi-regularly have to turn it off and back on because it will act like it's not on, even though the light is. Sometimes it also just sounds "odd", hard to explain, scratchy/sort of a static. I'm not going to fool with it, once it totally quits, I'll either buy a different brand or go back to not using one.

I was having some problems with mine recently, then it stopped working altogether. I called and got an RMA, but it's out of warranty. I thought "maybe I can open it up and take a peek"
So I did, pulled the guts out, examined them, gently tucked them back in and it now works like NEW!
No problems after two weeks of hunting:D

I have one right at 2 years old. I semi-regularly have to turn it off and back on because it will act like it's not on, even though the light is. Sometimes it also just sounds "odd", hard to explain, scratchy/sort of a static. I'm not going to fool with it, once it totally quits, I'll either buy a different brand or go back to not using one.
Yes, that's one of the problems that I'm having. I also had trouble with the original ProPointer falsing that Garrett got it resolved.
I've been using Garrett products since the 1980's.. I am now done with them..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, that's one of the problems that I'm having. I also had trouble with the original ProPointer falsing that Garrett got it resolved.
I've been using Garrett products since the 1980's.. I am now done with them..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sure sounds like you've had your share of problems with pinpointers. I may try one of the cheap knock-offs next time, at least if it goes a couple years before acting-up, at least I didn't lose as much.

Back
Top Bottom