General Metal Detecting Guide

essentials...

Carry a note pad, and make a note on every signal you get before you dig it. Then dig every target you get. Then you'll start to see the pattern and be able to recognise what each signal is.

Hey SLO, or anyone else who can anwer this. How do you know the pattern of your detection zone? Can this be found in the detector's manual? Also, how do you know the type of zone with the different coils? For instance, in your tutorial you show a cone shaped zone, how do I know my detector has a cone shaped zone? How do the different coils vary? More info on this would be helpful to a noobie like myself. Thanks.

heads up all newbies, including me with three weeks on ace350. i came across city park field supervisor while MD'ing. he was very polite informing i must have permit to MD in the city. he told me i could be cited without permit. i agree with him and i was so glad he told me this. he also told me his patner was observing me in their truck while i was digging. i was relief when he told me i'm doing a good job putting the area i worked in original condition. man! you never know who's watching. he told me who to see for the city permit, without fee. also i told him i'm in the lost stuff organization do volunteer work for community if any person lose their jewelry or something of value. both were very please to hear about our organization volunteer work. now i got the whole city parks to myself to MD without anyone on my back. one more thing, don't carry full size shovel. that will turn off any park supervisor. yes, each MD'er should look into their city rules just to be on the safe side. i will carry the MD's permit in my wallace once i get it from the city clerk. just want to share this, be kind to the city clerk and the park staff. ace350/pro pinpointer

After reading this post, I decided to contact my city parks office to get a copy of park rules and regs...I figured they would have some brochures...but to my surprize, the lady just wanted to read it to me on the phone! :lol::lol:

So I asked her to fax me a copy...so I can read it myself. I will be looking for specific references to the MD hobby. If there are none, then I will know that no permit is required and that no one has any authority to prevent me from using my city parks, if I am acting in a responsible manner...that is filling all holes and cleaning the area as I go. If there are regs or a permit required, then I will get the permit and follow the regs.

I have had no trouble with any city workers, in fact several have been real nice and friendly, they are just doing their job, and me mine! :lol::lol: I did answer one city worker when asked what I was doing...I told her cleaning all the metal out of the playground area...and she was quite happy with that...in fact, she said Ok, carry on! :lol: She actually asked, is that a paid position? and I told her no, I was a volunteer.:D:D It was her conclusion that I was retired and doing it as community service!

Yeah, I leave my Lesch in the truck when doing parks/totlots. Saves a lot of strange looks and my hands work quite well in pea gravel and shredded rubber. I do carry a folding pocket knife for must dig plugs......after two weeks of MDing on city property, still no questions or problems.....This hobby is actually fun again, I don't feel like a sneak thief!!

Dusty

Dusty

I wish I would have found this site before I made my purchase ;)

I have not even fired it up yet beyond inserting batteries but already i wonder if I got the right kind.

Oh well. Everyone has to learn some where right ?
Thank you for the initial post . It may be very simple to some, but for me it was helpful.

Which detector did you get?

I review a lot of detectors and have used quite a few over the years.

Most of the detectors on the market now or really good...as long as you stay away from the under $100 ones. Most of those will find buried metal but lack the depth, discrimination and durability to do the job for anyone wanting to get serious.

But many of the other inexpensive ones like the Garrett Ace 150, 250 and 350, the Fisher F2, even some of the Bounty hunters in the $100 - $200 RANGE will find coins below 6 inches, far enough to find some of the old stuff.

And Once you get used to your detector enough - and this is the key LEARn to use your detector - you will be able to discriminate between trash and treasure.

So give what you got a whirl and take the time to learn with it. Start by passing different objects over the coil with it on and ready to go. A penny, a dime, a quarter, a gold ring, nails, tin foil, etc. And note how the detector detects the good ones and how it trys to filter out the bad ones.

Then go for real!

Hi, I'm new to metal detecting and I'm planning to leave for the beach tomorrow. I would like any help anyone has with detecting in water or wet sand. I can't find info in my manual and when I've tried this before I just get constant beeping. I have an ElDorado by Tesoro that's supposed to be made for water. Thanks!

Introduction

Hi, I'm Cindy from Alabama and I'm new to the forum. I recently became addicted to metal detecting and love to hear stories and tips from others.

Welcome Cindy! If you start a new topic introducing yourself in the General Hobby Discussion forum you will be flooded with welcomes. I have found this to be a very friendly site.

Cheers,
tab

Thanks, good info! I just started 3 weeks ago when I won a Minelab Safari at a gold prospecting club raffle! I am already lucky!

I have been to the beach, but haven't tried parks or grassy areas.....what sort of digging tool do you think is best? I tried a bit in my backyard, but there are alot of surface roots from the trees and shrubs and ground is pretty hard.....used a slim blade shovel, but it was hard to do (found nothing...didn't have the noise cancellation done right).

Thanks,

Mary

Thank you for the very informative post. I have just started detecting and I am loving it. Not that I am finding anything of any real worth but relaxing and enjoyable none the less.

Post worked for me. Just the kind of info I've been looking for...Been all over this site...Good info wherever yo look....

Chief B

Thank you!

I have some metal detectors....have not had a chance to use them yet, and I "forgot" what I had previously learned. Your article was GREAT for newbies like me. Thank You again!

Back
Top Bottom