(Update: Officially a Georgie) It's not just green...It's NEON green

skyblast

Any suggestions for getting this sucker clean? The patina is very thick.

Olive oil?
Vinegar?
Baking Soda?

Have a pro do it? I've dug over 100 wheats and am still searching for my first Indian Head. I don't think it is...but it sure would be sweet if it was.

Attachments

• green coin.jpg
    green coin.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 496
Try baking soda and water paste with a soft toothbrush, also I use to clean my insignia brass with orange drink mix that came in MRE pouches.

I still clean items with a delicate touch, don't want to damage anything.

Then if that does not work try the tumbler.

Looks like an indian to me. Image is facing the wrong way to be a wheat penny. As emfederin said, do you have a picture of the reverse?

Looks like an indian to me. Image is facing the wrong way to be a wheat penny. As emfederin said, do you have a picture of the reverse?

Emfederin here is your obverse

pale rider you are giving me a heart attack. The only problem I see is that my etrac gives a solid 12-43 which for me has always meant standard memorial penny/wheat penny. Hopefuly there is still a chance????

Attachments

• green obverse.jpg
    green obverse.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 430
Maybe???? It kind of looks like there's something going on there??? Honestly I'm really nervous to clean it. I big time screwed up what I thougt was a 1910 wheat penny about two weeks ago.

Attachments

• indian maybe in book.jpg
    indian maybe in book.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 431
Emfederin here is your obverse

"Reverse". Of course, that's assuming your previous pic was "heads" which would make that side the obverse.

Anyway, your 2nd pic revealed nothing further, but thank you for posting it since we all like to see for ourselves. :D

As for your first pic, I still imagine the upper outline and the neck area of a jefferson nickle. But there's 2 things "wrong" with that:
It's too small to be a nickle (though patina and oxidation can diminish both thickness and diameter).
The patina looks like patina. What I mean is that when nickels corrode, they usually develop a brownish coating that looks more like rust than patina (its NOT rust, but it looks kind of like it).

It looks a hair larger than the comparison penny, but that could be as illusory to me as jefferson's head.

So the evidence leans more toward its being a penny than a nickel, but for the life of me I can't "see" an indian head OR a lincoln head in what detail there is.

So I'm stuck... :lol:

"Reverse". Of course, that's assuming your previous pic was "heads" which would make that side the obverse.

Anyway, your 2nd pic revealed nothing further, but thank you for posting it since we all like to see for ourselves. :D

As for your first pic, I still imagine the upper outline and the neck area of a jefferson nickle. But there's 2 things "wrong" with that:
It's too small to be a nickle (though patina and oxidation can diminish both thickness and diameter).
The patina looks like patina. What I mean is that when nickels corrode, they usually develop a brownish coating that looks more like rust than patina (its NOT rust, but it looks kind of like it).

It looks a hair larger than the comparison penny, but that could be as illusory to me as jefferson's head.

So the evidence leans more toward its being a penny than a nickel, but for the life of me I can't "see" an indian head OR a lincoln head in what detail there is.

So I'm stuck... :lol:

Oops. Yes I meant reverse. Yeah I too am stuck on what to do next????

I'm calling old Canadian penny (George on the obverse).

I posted this advice about hydrogen peroxide a few weeks ago:

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

I know you won't like to hear this, but your are better off leaving it alone.

Underneath all that gnarly patina is pitted metal. I have seen people clean very nice looking, but green, IH's and wind up with a coin that looked like garbage.

:research:ok...with how caked that coin is soaking it in some remington gun oil wouldent hurt i have done it befor with old pennys...it is superior to most any metal cleaner and still extreemly gental

I'm calling old Canadian penny (George on the obverse).

I posted this advice about hydrogen peroxide a few weeks ago:

Try microwaving a shot glass of hydrogen peroxide for about 20 seconds and drop your indian head in there. It should start to bubble and fizz a lot. The initial rush of bubbles may even take a lot of the encrusted dirt off. I leave it in until the bubbles subside (usually just a matter of a few minutes) and then work on it gently with a toothpick.

You can reheat the peroxide and repeat as you want. Peroxide will eventually start to pit the coin, so don't overdo it. The indians are pretty robust and I have had good luck with this method. Wheats, not so much.

Thanks for all of your help you guys. I will keep you posted as to how things go. I'm starting to get the same feeling that it is a georgie...

Attachments

• georgie.jpg
    georgie.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 373
WELL IT'S OFFICIAL...iT'S A GEORGIE :no: Oh well. I put it in the tumbler for about an hour and was easily able to identify it.

Thanks all of your help everyone. Just another reason to love detecting. Mysteries sure are fun.

Who knows maybe it's a Type 1, 1937, first year?

I would say hot peroxide, really with a coin that encrusted and if you do not know what it is it's worthless anyway. Unless you can see a key date for sure then i would clean it! a couple hot peroxide baths and finish it off with some olive oil. If that doesn't bring out details then nothing can save this coin.:no:

Back
Top Bottom