what other kinds of relic finds to look out for on CW battlefield

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Of course I am looking for bullets, buttons, breast plates, buckles and shell fragments, but what other items should I learn to recognize and not throw away as junk?

Don't throw out anything til you get it home. Now beer cans & pull tabs can go. You never know. I don't throw anything out til I make sure & even then it rides around in the bed of my truck lol.

There are many relic books out there. Even some of the old books from the 1960s are decent reference books. I've found a number of older civil war books that feature images of soldiers equipment for a dollar or two at used book stores. They will give you an idea of what could be out there.
Actual battle sites are different from camp sites. The things you find can be different. Camp sites had lots of idle time and lots of things were dropped and lost.

Don't miss little things like percussion caps and hat brass. Spurs still elude me and I've hunted known calvary battle sites. I've found bits of cookware at battle sites, but not a lot.
Shell fragments can look odd. Don't toss them out as junk iron!
Sites I've hunted were also farm land before and after the war. Expect to find farm-related iron bits, too.

And can slaw. It still amazes me to find a '70s beer can near and even sometimes deeper than a civil war bullet!

Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max.

I can dig it.

This is a good one.

Attachments

• F8B60E80-46DA-41DE-83EB-2D269B983AF3.jpg
    F8B60E80-46DA-41DE-83EB-2D269B983AF3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 366
Another one.

Attachments

• 4E3D1CFA-B4D6-4925-8403-1693390CFEA9.jpg
    4E3D1CFA-B4D6-4925-8403-1693390CFEA9.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 356
That's a cool book. Haven't seen it before this post!

Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Max.

I can dig it.

I like Crouch’s book better but when I saw where maxxkatt was located, I figured the other would also be good.

Back
Top Bottom