First old coin after 10 years

davemill

So I've been metal detecting for about 10 years. I've found plenty of jewelry, but only one wheat cent and no silver coins. The way I've always rationalized it to myself is that in in California we don't have dozens of colonial coppers and $5 gold pieces per square foot like the East Coast guys.

Anyhow, found this yesterday at a sidewalk tear-out:

V+nickel.jpg

Condition is poor, but the date is visible, and it's 117 years old!

My wife is already wearing the silver ring I found nearby:

green+malachite+ring.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! You deserved it for hanging in that long. Congrats on the V and Sterling!

That's great that you unearth that old coin. The ring looks pretty good as well. Finds like that keep you fired up to search for more. Big Congrats!

beephead

Congrats on the V, i have yet to dig one. Hope it doesnt take another 10 years, but in 10 years I hope i am still digging nickels!

Congrats Steve! Lots of orchards there, I grew up in Sunnyvale. If I were to hunt around there I would hit up Ortega elementary and the surrounding park area....

Congrats!! Isn’t funny how that coin was just sitting there for you to find!!! Is it the man or the machine? Both!
:hat3:

Congradulations on the V .. lol east coast guys with 5 largies and a gold coin per square yard 🙂.
Love it when you west coast guys do that đź‘Ť
Here in fly over country we stay under the radar .
Great save
,Dew

Awesome! Congrats on bagging an oldie - you waited a long time for that coin!

As an East Coast MDer I have found a few largies, but I must keep walking over all the $5 gold pieces - maybe I need to check my discrimination settings. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom