Deep Silver shows as Iron?

I am Shawn

I have come accross a couple of posts/articles/statements sugesting that on some detectors or in some soil that deeper targets of value may ring as iron?

I have certainly seen the opposite to be true with rusty items ringing as coin on my ACE250 but I have not experienced the other.

I pass a lot of iron in the parks because the parks here are old, the soil is hard and rocky, and I just don't want to make a mess.

Can anyone speak to this?

In the water my AT Pro will give out a confused sounding half iron half mid tone on really deep good targets like silver, gold and coins.

I have come to really like getting that tentative sniff signal, I scoop a few inches of sand off the target, scan again and the true tone comes through then.

I have nailed some really, really good targets doing this. Good Luck!!

I have seen deep targets ring at a lower TDI then if it was closer to the coil.

you can test this by air testing. get a silver dime. test it real close, then move the coin farther away when sweeping the coil by it.

you will see the numbers become less reliable.

It seems to me there would be very few people in this hobby that would dig a deep iron signal so if they are missing silver they would never know it.

I myself have found deep silver that gave iron grunts and also silver that gave pull tab and nickel readings.

If you find yourself in a very old site and get deep iron signals, dig a few and see what you get.

I have come accross a couple of posts/articles/statements sugesting that on some detectors or in some soil that deeper targets of value may ring as iron?

I have certainly seen the opposite to be true with rusty items ringing as coin on my ACE250 but I have not experienced the other.

My ACE350 will indicate deep coins on the electronics, but the ringing is all wrong. I've dug down 10 inches to find nothing but rusting steel or iron. After learning the hard way, I no longer will dig these types of targets. I only pinpoint and dig if I get both sources confirming a coin or precious metal.

Back
Top Bottom