Best weekend of detecting EVER! 1861 Double Eagle and lots of BIG silver!

Thanks

Man, this read like a Tom Clancy book, so much excitement! Such a great story, even before page 14! In the 18 pages of this story, you have poured out so much of your life, It sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person. Congratulations!

Thanks

Man, this read like a Tom Clancy book, so much excitement! Such a great story, even before page 14! In the 18 pages of this story, you have poured out so much of your life, It sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person. Congratulations!

Thank you my friend. Much appreciated. :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow! Great story and great finds. That will definitely keep the detecting fire going! You may end up with your wife joining you next time!!!

I just started reading through this thread and got to the update after 3 years...Serious jawdrop heartstopper lol. Man very few people find caches like this, and you've defiantly been blessed to be one of the lucky ones. And all because grandma mentioned the one coin that grandpa found. The finds of us normal people are meager in comparison! Totally jelly of this find(aka jackpot) lol. But still good that it was found and not just sitting in the ground! Congrats there Mr Rattlehead

I just started reading through this thread and got to the update after 3 years...Serious jawdrop heartstopper lol. Man very few people find caches like this, and you've defiantly been blessed to be one of the lucky ones. And all because grandma mentioned the one coin that grandpa found. The finds of us normal people are meager in comparison! Totally jelly of this find(aka jackpot) lol. But still good that it was found and not just sitting in the ground! Congrats there Mr Rattlehead

Thanks for the kind words Silver Saver. :cheers: I was super lucky and blessed to find this one. It'll probably never happen again but that won't stop me from looking. :grin:

Just a techie question here, Rattlehead - what do you see as the advantages of the CTX-3030 over the V3i you were using when you started this thread? And, by the way, I have so enjoyed your thread! My very first find with my Compass XP-Pro (first good detector I ever owned) was a Walking Liberty half that was, literally, RIGHT UNDER where I first put the coil down to test it out after unboxing it. I thought 'geez! This is going to be easy!' After 25 more years of hunting, I have only matched that find twice, and never exceeded it. So to see someone who has lived what we all have only dreamed about (and know that that's really all we can ever do is dream) - well, we all get some vicarious vindication for all those hundreds or thousands of hours spend swinging a detector in all kinds of terrain and weather, fighting snakes, bugs, curious kids and dogs, and exasperated spouses . It's good to know that the impossible dream isn't REALLY impossible. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences.

Just a techie question here, Rattlehead - what do you see as the advantages of the CTX-3030 over the V3i you were using when you started this thread? And, by the way, I have so enjoyed your thread! My very first find with my Compass XP-Pro (first good detector I ever owned) was a Walking Liberty half that was, literally, RIGHT UNDER where I first put the coil down to test it out after unboxing it. I thought 'geez! This is going to be easy!' After 25 more years of hunting, I have only matched that find twice, and never exceeded it. So to see someone who has lived what we all have only dreamed about (and know that that's really all we can ever do is dream) - well, we all get some vicarious vindication for all those hundreds or thousands of hours spend swinging a detector in all kinds of terrain and weather, fighting snakes, bugs, curious kids and dogs, and exasperated spouses . It's good to know that the impossible dream isn't REALLY impossible. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences.
Hey Texaspast! Thanks for the kind words bud! For me, the advantages of the CTX over the V3i are as follows:
1) Really good depth and performance right out of the box. V3i is capable of good depth as well, but requires some tweaking to get the most out of it.
2) Handles EMI better.
3) Much better target ID at depth.
4) IMHO, if swept slowly the CTX/Etrac are able to pick out deeper targets near iron junk better than a lot of other detectors.

Thanks again for the comments. GL & HH! :cheers:

I believe this to be the most amazing thread I have seen on here since I have been a member 7+ years)!
Huge congratulations to you and thanks for sharing too:yes:

Thanks matmit. I appreciate it bud! :cheers:

I was super lucky to find this spot and it was easily one of the most exciting things I've experienced in my lifetime. Heck I still get excited about finding a random Merc though. :D I love this hobby!

I think I've read this thread 10 times, thanks so much for sharing. Amazing, astounding, unbelievable finds.

I don't wanna brag, but my best finds include some clad quarters and a 6' rusty piece of log chain. ;)

dang, get your butt back there and find the rest! there has to be more

I think I've read this thread 10 times, thanks so much for sharing. Amazing, astounding, unbelievable finds.

I don't wanna brag, but my best finds include some clad quarters and a 6' rusty piece of log chain. ;)

Thanks bud! :cheers:

dang, get your butt back there and find the rest! there has to be more

Hehe.. I've been working on that for a few years now.. Still finding a few pieces here and there. :cheers:

As I contemplate my fate this morning with temps in the low 20’s,I am reminded of how this story started...and that it only takes ONE conversation,ONE person saying a few words in fact...and a hoard like this can be uncovered if you deem the information credible. It is IMHO the number one thread about how this can happen,and you’ve made many many great videos and taken perfect pictures along the way. You have kept a lot of people on the reeded edge of their seats DeWayne,and have progressively uncovered one of the most incredible batch of coins we have ever had the privilege of seeing in the U.S.
How many hoards are out there? Nobody can say for sure. Things were done at that time in history by certain people for certain reasons. Some of it is blind chance,some it is following the lead. You were a smart man to listen.
Is that dozer still around? Maybe some coins got stuck in the tracks or up in the undercarriage? Anything’s possible,as you have continued to show us...:grin:

Thanks for the kind words IDX. Honestly after first hearing about how my Grandfather had found a silver dollar on top of the ground I was thinking maybe an old structure had once been there and was just hoping to find a few random coins. Finding a cache never even crossed my mind. I just got really lucky with this one. But you’re right.. they are out there!

As for the dozer, it was long gone before I ever hunted this place. Good possibility that some coins got stuck in the undercarriage though!

As I contemplate my fate this morning with temps in the low 20’s,I am reminded of how this story started...and that it only takes ONE conversation,ONE person saying a few words in fact...and a hoard like this can be uncovered if you deem the information credible. It is IMHO the number one thread about how this can happen,and you’ve made many many great videos and taken perfect pictures along the way. You have kept a lot of people on the reeded edge of their seats DeWayne,and have progressively uncovered one of the most incredible batch of coins we have ever had the privilege of seeing in the U.S.

How many hoards are out there? Nobody can say for sure. Things were done at that time in history by certain people for certain reasons. Some of it is blind chance,some it is following the lead. You were a smart man to listen.

Is that dozer still around? Maybe some coins got stuck in the tracks or up in the undercarriage? Anything’s possible,as you have continued to show us...:grin:

One thing I left out from my find was the amount of time and research that went into it. Right now my neighbors property has a story of the original miner being killed in the 1906 SF earthquake. They found him at the front of his mine dead. The tremors caused a collapse. His family said he would bury his gold on the property but none has been found. Is it a rumor? I don’t think so. I absolutely believe there is at least one jar or can of gold on the property. My last find was due to a sequence of events either told to me or witnessing. With this hobby having an imagination can pay off. There is plenty more of this out there. Just need the right location and some dedication.

Back
Top Bottom