Metal detecting in Croatia

garrett gti Dan

Hi guys. I'm going to Europe soon and was wondering if metal detecting is allowed in Croatia. I was doing some research and one site said that it is allowed with permission, but another site said that it is forbidden. Does anyone know if it is allowed and under what circumstances? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't believe you may detect inlands. I even won't believe someone would.
In former Joegoslavia many mine fields still are there very live. :shock: :shock: :shock:

There are some tourist area's (recreation hunt) where there was no war but i don't know exactly were. There are tourist area's were there was war too.
Wouldn't risk it without knowledge. And permission i think is a must.

Yeah I was planning on asking some locals and will try to avoid war sites that have mines. I was just wondering if it is allowed. Thanks. And I will be mostly detecting on beaches .

Just out of curiosity, do you recommend staying on the beaches because it's not allowed to detect inland or safety reasons, etc? Thanks. I want to know for sure as we are renting a home there and we plan to detect on some fields, etc. It seems to be pretty unsafe inland, but I won't detect too much.

Yeah I realize that, but was just wondering if all inland areas are dangerous, hence my "just out of curiosity" opening. I was simply curious, but do realize that my question was dumb and ignorant, so I apologize. Thanks for the info

Well, I'll try to stay off inland lol. I was reading this blog about some guys experience there and that got me curious, but he must have done a ton of research before going out. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I realize that, but was just wondering if all inland areas are dangerous
Most is dangerous.
You want to gamble? Russian roulette with 4 or 5 bullets? (that's about the risk). And those for sure are not corroded stuck like some ww2's.

Here you can see how divided it was and how many parts had to be protected.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Map_of_war_in_Yugoslavia,_1992.png
Even tourists is to be adviced to not go inland far and stay on trusted ground.
But like i said, they weren't stupid and left some touristic area's alone. so perhaps .... if for sure, whithout gambling .....

Just informing. I assume you're old enough to make the right decisions yourself.

Yeah I'm going to take your advice and not go inland. At first, i was considering going inland due to some other guy's blog, but completely forgot about the war in the 1990's. I'm sorry if my question was ignorant, I just forgot about the 1990 war. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks, never been there before, only to Western Europe and Romania [emoji23]

Last edited:
I spent a few weeks on the Istrian peninsula at a little seaside town back in the early 90's...Drove over the mountains out of Trieste in the middle of the night...no moon, dark as dark....got stopped at a checkpoint, sub machine guns and dogs....Got out of the car, lit up a smoke and looked up at the stars,......Perfect! roughly the same latitude as Michigan so they were all right where I left them! The guards were somewhat interested in an American at this time of the night, and during that time frame, there was some stuff going on in that area... I was polite and gave them a few packs of Marlboros and they let me on my way...I took the time to learn a few Yugoslavian (Croatian) words before I went, the basics, 'please' 'thankyou' 'beer'...etc...

The VERY best prosciutto, breads and cheeses I have ever had come off the Istrian peninsula on account of the dry salt air blowing onshore all the time! I ate cheese prosciutto sandwiches morning noon and night! It was so damn good, I didnt want anything else! I bet I ate a whole hog!

Nice little town...cant remember the name of it, semi/resort fishing village kind of deal...I would go and look at the boats and talk to the fishermen early in the morning...even though there was a language barrier, we all understood wooden boats and because of this, were able to communicate nearly flawlessly! Really cool wooden fishing boats powered by diesel tractor engines...

I remember the beach was rock...not pea gravel, not big rocks, but about the size of an egg...Every morning I would leave a $5 tip for the Maid at the hotel with a handwritten 'thankyou' note as is my custom wherever I go....I never had any trouble with the locals, but I wasnt looking for it..I tried my best to be invisible, and I'm really good at it, but in those little towns, its about impossible...Americans stick out like painted blaze orange, everyone knows you are there, so be aware of your surroundings....

If you can strike up a friendship with a local...that would probably be a good idea...Even if you dont smoke, you should take a carton of Marlboros along to give out as gifts...This should be one GREAT adventure! Please take pics and do us a post!

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard that it is very nice near the shore there. Personally, I'm going to Zadar, Croatia for a couple days, and I'm also visiting Diocletian's palace in split. I like the roman history aspect of Croatia. I am also concerned about actually conversing with the locals, but I will try to learn a few words! Thanks for the advice! I'll try to be friendly to the locals and not stick out too much...

Yeah, I heard that it is very nice near the shore there. Personally, I'm going to Zadar, Croatia for a couple days, and I'm also visiting Diocletian's palace in split. I like the roman history aspect of Croatia. I am also concerned about actually conversing with the locals, but I will try to learn a few words! Thanks

Every where I go I always make a point to learn a few words before hand...even China or Alabama...I have special lingual business cards printed up to introduce myself...Over there I am TangZhiChow..'Lucky Warrior'...In Alabama everyone in town just called me 'Lucky' Its a really bad deal if you cant communicate, although now a days I'm sure theres some cool electronic gizmo a guy could get to do the translating for you?:?:

Every where I go I always make a point to learn a few words before hand...even China or Alabama...I have special lingual business cards printed up to introduce myself...Over there I am TangZhiChow..'Lucky Warrior'...In Alabama everyone in town just called me 'Lucky' Its a really bad deal if you cant communicate, although now a days I'm sure theres some cool electronic gizmo a guy could get to do the translating for you?:?:

I always bring my phone around with google translate for whenever I need it[emoji23]. However, I'm concerned that it will produce an incorrect translation, or at best a nonsensical one! I'm glad that I know little bits of each language where I visit, but Croatia will be an interesting experience...

Hi guys. I'm going to Europe soon and was wondering if metal detecting is allowed in Croatia. I was doing some research and one site said that it is allowed with permission, but another site said that it is forbidden. Does anyone know if it is allowed and under what circumstances? ....

Dan, as for the site you found that says "it's forbidden": Welcome to the world of md'ing legality questions. Whenever the question comes up for some country where it's not already firmly entrenched (like the UK and USA), someone will be sure to tell you that it's forbidden. And if you look into where/how they got that answer, it will usually be someone who asked a travel consulate or border lawyer. Answers that get tied up in stuff involving antiquities, for example .

But this would be no different than if you went and asked a purist archie here in the USA, he too might point you to ARPA and say "absolutely not". There's been cases of "no's" being passed our for entire countries, where ... curiously .... there's no shortage of md'rs there. But sure: As in any country, there will be P's and Q's to mind (avoid obvious historic monuments, blah blah).

As for the land mine rabbit trail this went off on: How in the heck can this make every speck of land in Croatia dangerous ? For example: Don't farmer's there plow their ag. fields routinely ? (hence: nothing that will explode , etc...). Fine then: Why not hunt places like ag. lands (where perhaps old villas were 500 and 1000 yrs. ago). That's what they do in the UK afterall, is simply hunt ag. fields during fallow season. How could there be mines waiting to go off in perpetually worked ag. fields ? :?:

Back
Top Bottom