10 box hunt to continue the Silver Streak...

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
And yes, it did continue!

Now to the results of KT's first 10 box hunt!

Box 1 - no silver, 8 NIFCs and 1 Proof

Box 2 - no silver, 5 NIFCs and 2 Proofs

Box 3 - 17 40%er Kens, 10 NIFCs, and 1 Proof

Box 4 - no silver, 13 NIFCs

Box 5 - 1 40%er Ken, 21 NIFCs, 1 87 Ken, 1 Greek 10 Drachmai Constantine II

Box 6 - no silver, 8 NIFCs

Box 7 - 1 Franklin, 2 64 Kens, 15 40%er Kens, 7 NIFCs

Box 8 - 1 40%er Ken, 30 NIFCs, 2 Proofs, 2 Au-plated Kens

Box 9 - 2 64 Kens, 4 40%er Kens, 1 NIFC, 1 Proof

Box 10 - no silver, 7 NIFCs

So the grand total for the 10 boxes is: 1 Franklin, 4 64 Kens, 38 40%er Kens, 110 NIFCs, 6 Proofs, 2 Au-plated Kens, and 1 foreign Greek coin.

One of the proofs was the 1986 Statue of Liberty commemerative! 2nd one of those KT has ever recovered.

Enjoy the pics...there are a lot of them!

Attachments

• CRH 08 05 2016 1 Ben.JPG
    CRH 08 05 2016 1 Ben.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 337
  • CRH 08 05 2016 4 64 Kens.JPG
    CRH 08 05 2016 4 64 Kens.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 346
  • CRH 08 05 2016 38 40% Kens.jpg
    CRH 08 05 2016 38 40% Kens.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 325
  • CRH 08 05 2016 110 NIFCs.jpg
    CRH 08 05 2016 110 NIFCs.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 420
  • CRH 08 05 2016 6 Proofs incl. Statue of Lib comm.jpg
    CRH 08 05 2016 6 Proofs incl. Statue of Lib comm.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 409
  • CRH 08 05 2016 2 Au-plated Kens, 1 87 Ken.jpg
    CRH 08 05 2016 2 Au-plated Kens, 1 87 Ken.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 343
  • CRH 08 05 2016 1 10 Dracmai Constantine II Greek coin.JPG
    CRH 08 05 2016 1 10 Dracmai Constantine II Greek coin.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 339
Well, that was certainly worth the effort. Love to see you pile up the silver, KT. I hope you had a good time on your vacation too. : )

Welcome back, KT, it's been quiet here!

Nice haul again. Gotta love those boxes with teens of silver. Cool liberty proof, too. What's the '68 greek coin made of?

So...I rip one roll at a time, check the edges for both silver and for clad that's looking like new (sharp, bright reeding -- often proofs or nifcs) before moving on to check all the dates. I occasionally find halves that are nothing special date-wise, but in I guess you'd call it Almost Uncirculated condition. Usually I just toss 'em in with the rest of the no-keepers, but am tempted to keep them. Curious what the rest of you CRHers do with those...

Welcome back, KT, it's been quiet here!

Nice haul again. Gotta love those boxes with teens of silver. Cool liberty proof, too. What's the '68 greek coin made of?

So...I rip one roll at a time, check the edges for both silver and for clad that's looking like new (sharp, bright reeding -- often proofs or nifcs) before moving on to check all the dates. I occasionally find halves that are nothing special date-wise, but in I guess you'd call it Almost Uncirculated condition. Usually I just toss 'em in with the rest of the no-keepers, but am tempted to keep them. Curious what the rest of you CRHers do with those...

Thanks, TorqueMaster!
This hunt taught KT something...in Box 7, where there were many 40%ers, most of them were so rough and worn that they would have been missed by edge hunting, significant copper was showing on them and most of the reeding was worn off. Some of the first boxes KT encountered when He started CRHing, contained a lot of nearly new looking halves for certain years, KT saved a few rolls of them, but after more experience was gained, His Majesty went ahead and just dumped them all, except for 1 roll of very clean 1989 Kens, because that was the birth year of Prince John. Gave them to Him as a Christmas gift a couple of years back. Now, unless they are low mintage, like 87 and NIFCs, KT dumps them. KT saves all foreign coins, all Proofs, and all oddities, like commems and gold-plated coins.

For KT's Loyal Readers

Due to a trip planned by the Queen next week, again KT will be absent next week as far as posting a new hunt. But the following week He will return with another 10 box hunt! So hold on and KT will be hopefully posting a continuation of this amazing Silver Streak!:yes::D

To be clear, I check all the dates on all the coins, just check the edges first. If I ever get a life, MAYBE I'll shortcut the process, but like you say, the edges don't always tell the tale. I've had really dirty edges that have concealed silver. Or normal edges that turn out to be lots of keepables. Never had a silver with exposed copper on the edge -- in fact I didn't know that was possible. I have seen some 40% with sort of a two-tone edge, but more dark grey/light grey. I, perhaps foolishly, assumed the 40% coins were a homogeneous alloy, and somehow it still appeared silvery. My bad. Wiki tells the inside story of the 40% halves:

"The new half dollars retained their silvery appearance, due to the outer layer being 80% silver and 20% copper. The coin was also minted with an inner layer of 21% silver and 79% copper."

Thanks for the edumacation, your highness!

This post has been brought to you by the letter S and the number 50.

Wow, I picked a good time to go AWOL. Thanks for the knighting, Your Highness. Everybody can now call me Sir Torque-salot, lol.

I'm sure I will be in fine company. Let the tales be told and silver flow. :)

Congrats , some day you will have to give us a peek into the treasury , also include location ,any security features and vacation schedule :grin:
HH

Back
Top Bottom