Another silver ring, the octopus ring of doom, a Tiffany & Co, and a few bucks!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Tonights football field hunt went pretty well. 3 hours long, brought home $5.23, 3 rings, and a neat copper bracelet.

More than I thought there would be! This particular field isn't that old, and is rarely used (they have a bunch of "User other fields!" signs and prevent all the after school practices from happening on it. It doesn't seem to stop the adult leagues in the evenings, but they're pretty spotty. I think they try to keep one field nice for games at this middle school.

got about 3/4 of the field done, gridding from goalpost line to goalpost line. Lots and lots of "blank space" between finds... sometimes I'd walk the whole field from end to end without digging anything. Was definitely a workout. I forget how much stopping and digging lets the arm rest!

The rings all showed up toward mid-field and at the goal posts. I probably could have him them and left in 10 minutes, but you never know whats IN a field till you check. Turns out... mostly just quarters...

OH! And a tiffany & co heart pendent. I almost forgot about that one. It was in the middle of the field. I nicked it with the digger when it flipped out of teh whole. It rang up EXACTLY like a clad quarter. (same rough size, too). Was careless. It happens. S-allright though, as I'm building a scrap pile to cast my own silver ring.

The Octopus ring (actually took a while to figure out what it was) rang up at a 55, and was barely under the surface, with the top sticking out. I saw it before digging it up, and thought it was a bracelet or something. I just BUSTED up laughing at the gaudiness of the ring. ITS HUGE! But... it only fits my pinky. So... massive ring, small size. Weird. At first I had hopes it was gold, but at 55, there's no way at that size. Has to be stainless. once I got it cleaned up, it was obvious it wasn't heavy enough (Dense enough) to be gold, either. Just a stainless ring with a very intriguing design.

The silver ring rang up 82-83 and was a fun find. No marking on it, but totally tested positive for silver. Right density for the size, rang up right, tested right... it's silver!

The final (actually first) ring of the night was just a junker stacker ring that was about 4" down. Nothing special just a copper junker.

So.. another hunt, and rings #166, #167, and #168 get added. Looks like I'll be close to the 200 mark again this year...

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3714.jpg
    IMG_3714.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3716.jpg
    IMG_3716.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3717.jpg
    IMG_3717.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3718.jpg
    IMG_3718.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 178
Congrats skippy! I noticed is was dark out in the pics, does anyone ever bug you to see what you are doing? I always worry being out at night is just asking someone to call the cops or something. :lol:

Congrats skippy! I noticed is was dark out in the pics, does anyone ever bug you to see what you are doing? I always worry being out at night is just asking someone to call the cops or something. :lol:

Nope. That was all done before 8pm, most of those pics around 7pm. Our city is very friendly toward MDers, plus there's no ordinances against being on the school grounds after dark. Half the time, at these hours, the school parking lots are still full for basketball games and such.

I've had a couple of sheriff swing-bys over the years, but once they see me, they just wave and yell "good luck!" or something like that. Never once have I had a problem.

City parks, though, we're supposed to be out of them 1-hour after dusk, so I don't hunt those at night at all.

Cheers,

Skippy

Sweet! This may be a great Forum Winter project!...Casting something out of our scrap? Even if its just lead soldiers or submarines or something......

I bet there are some Members here that know how to do some metal casting/jewelry?...I think Silversmith45 could help out...There is a lot of skills hidden behind these keyboards!

It would be fun to learn something new and make something special out of scrap metal finds...plus, you get to play with fire, which is always good!.

Sweet! This may be a great Forum Winter project!...Casting something out of our scrap? Even if its just lead soldiers or submarines or something......

I bet there are some Members here that know how to do some metal casting/jewelry?...I think Silversmith45 could help out...There is a lot of skills hidden behind these keyboards!

It would be fun to learn something new and make something special out of scrap metal finds...plus, you get to play with fire, which is always good!.

I've been researching it for the last couple of days, after I came into a butane torch (which is more than enough to melt silver). Looking at the cost to get into it, it wasn't so bad, so I dropped $116 into a crucible, petrobond sand, a flask mold, and some borax.

With the Delft clay, or Petrobond, you can basically press an existing ring (plain dome ring, for example), build a pour tube, and simply replicate it, which is what I intend to do. I'm interested in casting, at this point, not lost-wax, which would allow for far more intricate work (which I hope to do someday, using diamonds I've pulled from existing rings). For now, though it'll be easy to do things like cast a monogram flat ring, and then practice carving into it. can always recast later! Only cost at that point is butane.

Pretty fun stuff!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom