Hello from north east Georgia

mad_22_07

New to the site and new to metal detecting. Recently purchased a nox 600 and a White’s TRX. Really just trying to learn the hobby and the equinox with this Georgia red clay seems to read iron everywhere no matter what when I run on all metal mode when I’m trying to get a good read on a target. Tried running the bias on 2 doesn’t seem to make much difference and afraid of missing targets on 3 so I’ve just been trying to deal with it I auto the noise and ground balance often I guess the soil here just has that much iron in it. Haven’t tried any parks or fields just been in the woods mainly.

Really just trying to learn the hobby and the equinox with this Georgia red clay seems to read iron everywhere no matter what...
...I guess the soil here just has that much iron in it.

:welcome2: from the Great Black Swamp in NW Ohio! I don’t have any personal experience detecting in GA clay, but it sounds like what you’re describing matches what I’ve heard other detectorists in your area say about the soil characteristics. The red Georgia clay is heavily mineralized and presents many challenges. My understanding is that the Equinox should be able to do pretty well handling that mineralization, but an Equinox owner in your area would be better suited for helping you work it out.

If you're interested in finding other forum members in your area, check out our new Forum Member Map, and let me know if you'd like me to add a pin for you:
**Revived** Forum Member Map

:fmdfwelcome:... from the thawing out state of Minnesota! :woot: We're glad that you have joined us. :yes: Happy hunting! :mder:

Last edited:
New to the site and new to metal detecting. Recently purchased a nox 600 and a White’s TRX. Really just trying to learn the hobby and the equinox with this Georgia red clay seems to read iron everywhere no matter what when I run on all metal mode when I’m trying to get a good read on a target. Tried running the bias on 2 doesn’t seem to make much difference and afraid of missing targets on 3 so I’ve just been trying to deal with it I auto the noise and ground balance often I guess the soil here just has that much iron in it. Haven’t tried any parks or fields just been in the woods mainly.

Hi; Welcome to the forum. I have had similar problems here in North Carolina when trying to use all metal mode in red clay. I just figured it was because I was new to the machine (AT-Max) and didn't know what I was doing. There was an area I wanted to detect for relics but the all metal mode on that red clay freaked me out and I gave it up for the time being. I think the next time I will try manual ground balancing after I automatically ground balance. My learning curve seems to be coming along nicely in the other modes. Good luck with your red clay.

Thanks for the welcomes. Also thanks to this great and informative forum I was able to research and make informed decisions when it came time to finally buy a detector.

Back
Top Bottom