Aluminum sand scoop

Did you cut holes in the fingers to get them on the handle? :facepalm:

:?: nope, just put them on my hands continued detecting and using my scoop... no more black hands from the aluminum. I suppose I could have cut holes in the fingers and wasted a good pair of gloves sliding them over the handle... guess us traditional dirt diggers think differently when it comes to gloves.

Get the handle anodized.

You can do it yourself if you can get enough Sulphuric acid, and a power supply.

so I bought an aluminum sand scoop with an aluminum handle. I like the scoop but the handle turned my hands black as coal. What would be the be wrap or something to cover it.

It's the oxidation. Mine does that too. I just wear a neoprene glove on that hand. it's more comfortable that way, anyway.

If you wanted to just get a wrap, any wrap will do, from tape to racket tape. I prefer mine smooth though, so I can slide my hand up it during a shift from carrying to digging.

Cheers,

Skippy

Aluminum scoop handle cover

I have one of those scoops and I bought a 2 inch shrink wrap tubing , 4 feet long then heated it up while on the scoop now I don’t have any Black hands

Do you have a photo of that? Sounds interesting

This is photo of the handle the plastic shrink wrap slipped over the handle easily with extra space then I used a torch to heat the wrap and it tightened up around the pole, no more black hands

Attachments

• B7B91EA0-299E-4511-9CA0-C4681B8084E7.jpg
    B7B91EA0-299E-4511-9CA0-C4681B8084E7.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 587ED99A-AA9A-4744-8F10-5499264E07FF.jpg
    587ED99A-AA9A-4744-8F10-5499264E07FF.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 73
Shrink wrap tube

I bought this tube on eBay their are several colors to choose from . In the search pu 2.5 inch width heat shrink wrap tubing that’s 2.5 inch flattened out

Aluminum sand scoop cover

so I bought an aluminum sand scoop with an aluminum handle. I like the scoop but the handle turned my hands black as coal. What would be the be wrap or something to cover it.

I used a 2.5 inch heat shrink wrap tubing flatten out its 2.5 inches and 4 got long I put on the scoop handle .. here’s some pictures you can order it on eBay different colors

Attachments

• 2AED2924-CAED-4E0E-B102-1A09816B7B9A.jpg
    2AED2924-CAED-4E0E-B102-1A09816B7B9A.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 67
This is photo of the handle the plastic shrink wrap slipped over the handle easily with extra space then I used a torch to heat the wrap and it tightened up around the pole, no more black hands

Thats a very, very bad thing to do.

Aluminum was never a good choice for saltwater, but if using it it needs air. The natural oxide finish it develops is what keeps it "healthy". Molecular coatings are good and paint is safe enough as long as you can inspect it (no hidden spots). Simply covering aluminum = corrosion. See all that white in the pic you posted? Thats your aluminum handle rotting away. Aluminum + lack of oxygen + corrosive environment = guaranteed corrosion.

Aluminum handle

That’s ok if it rots away, it’s been a good scoop for 5 years with that covering . When it does break I will put a wood handle in it . Thanks for the info

That’s ok if it rots away, it’s been a good scoop for 5 years with that covering . When it does break I will put a wood handle in it . Thanks for the info

Maybe just don't cover the most stressed parts near the scoop and it'll be fine.....?

5 years cant ask for much more than that. Could always put a 24hr marine epoxy on the shaft.. then your heat wrap over the wet epoxy. This should keep it air/water tight so corrosion has no chance to start.
Thanks for the photo

Back
Top Bottom