Best public park find

..... I am going to hit it tomorrow since I will be in the area. Hopefully, it turns up something nice.....

Well good luck. By tomorrow's mail, you should be getting an LC or colonial copper from one of your fellow east coast friend's, to post that you "found" :laughing:

"So hunted out", yet you manage to waltz into any old park there and find LC's :sissyfight:

If it makes you feel any better, I have never found one in a public park. Though I can count the number of public parks i have tried hunting on one hand :laughing:. I usually find them at old homesites where they got on and off their wagons/horses. much easier then sifting though all that aluminum.

If it makes you feel any better, I have never found one in a public park. Though I can count the number of public parks i have tried hunting on one hand :laughing:. I usually find them at old homesites where they got on and off their wagons/horses. much easier then sifting though all that aluminum.

Oddly enough, I have never found a large cent at an old homestead. All of mine have come from public parks. I only seem to find buttons at homesteads. Jeff finds all of the LC's for me.

Well good luck. By tomorrow's mail, you should be getting an LC or colonial copper from one of your fellow east coast friend's, to post that you "found" :laughing:

I am going text Jeff and ask him to overnight me a couple of Connecticut coppers and maybe a reale. Hopefully, I will get something to post ;)

... I usually find them at old homesites where they got on and off their wagons/horses.....

My heart just bleeds for you that they're not jumping out of the ground for you at parks there. You have to suffer the indignity of going to old homesites to get your daily LC, eh ? :roll:

...I am going text Jeff and ask him to overnight me a couple of Connecticut coppers and maybe a reale. Hopefully, I will get something to post ;)

Yup. There it is ! Confession is good for soul. Good man ! :cool:

A significant number of these public parks in the original 13 signatory states were likely to have been a commons where cows were sometimes grazed and the local militia drilled, among other things (market days?). These would make excellent locations for activity. It is good history mining to come up with these. Even small communities may have had these.

I consider it my best find. Several carats of diamonds in this one. :)

picture.php

When it came out, I thought for SURE it was costume jewelry, until I saw the 585. I left the park immediately to take it to a jeweler to confirm. 81 diamonds total.

Called the parks department, and they reported they had nobody report a lost ring like that, and actually used the magic words, 'You can keep it as treasure!'

At that point, it was 100% legally mine. :0) To this day, one of my favorite experiences, as I was with my son!

Skippy

... they reported they had nobody report a lost ring like that, and actually used the magic words, 'You can keep it as treasure!' ....

Haha. What would you have done if they'd said that, since it was city property, and since there's verbiage that disallows collecting / harvesting / removing , and .... in-lieu of the city's lost & found laws, that you are now required to turn it in to the city.

I highly doubt that any city personnel cares less (and is not aware of such boiler plate minutia). And yes, the average park worker would just shrug his shoulders and say "congratz" to the md'r. But .... still though .... I wonder if any city person would ever say differently, if alerted to a "ring found in your park sir" .

Haha. What would you have done if they'd said that, since it was city property, and since there's verbiage that disallows collecting / harvesting / removing , and .... in-lieu of the city's lost & found laws, that you are now required to turn it in to the city.

I highly doubt that any city personnel cares less (and is not aware of such boiler plate minutia). And yes, the average park worker would just shrug his shoulders and say "congratz" to the md'r. But .... still though .... I wonder if any city person would ever say differently, if alerted to a "ring found in your park sir" .

I get what you're saying. If they'd have asked me to turn it in, I would have done so. Bottom line is that I got to keep it.

This was in my first year of detecting. Now, before I go out, in that city, I simply call ahead and ask if anyone has lost anything I should be looking for. :) The answer has always been (in the last 4 years), "nope! Have fun!" Then when I find stuff, I don't bother to call it in...

Skippy

I consider it my best find. Several carats of diamonds in this one. :)

picture.php

When it came out, I thought for SURE it was costume jewelry, until I saw the 585. I left the park immediately to take it to a jeweler to confirm. 81 diamonds total.

Called the parks department, and they reported they had nobody report a lost ring like that, and actually used the magic words, 'You can keep it as treasure!'

At that point, it was 100% legally mine. :0) To this day, one of my favorite experiences, as I was with my son!

Skippy
Holy smokes what a knockout!! That damn neart paid for your detector. I missed this on the first go around.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Coin wise, I'd go with a Walker half. "Interesting" wise, I found a cache of 500 WWII General Service Buttons. My pouch was stuffed as full of buttons as I could carry and by then it was dark. By the time I went back to dig the rest out, a gal from our club found the same spot and pulled out another 800 buttons!

Morgan dollar in the park behind a huge rural Catholic Church, Peace dollar dug near a concession stand in a park in a small rural village.

Attachments

• 88CF26F6-B5A6-4E26-9936-D77101D7C066.jpeg
    88CF26F6-B5A6-4E26-9936-D77101D7C066.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 572
Found this ax head in a commons area of a local city park that was originally a company subsidized housing area (complete with General store). Found ~10-12" deep. Apparently used as a splitting wedge. Ooops, thought I was in "Stories and Pictures of Finds", Mods, please move if not OK.
Cheers,
R

Last edited:
While I do not have a photo of it, my best park find was a 1921 SLQ in EF-40. It was in a public park in Boston off the Back Bay Fens, near Fenway Park! I have found a lot at that park, from Injuns to Barbers and a smidgen of jewelry.

Three gold rings, I'd say it's my best find ever so far! I sold the plain one but still have the two diamond rings.
I'm gonna try and sell them for more than melt.

Probably the best find i've ever found in a public park was a men's gold ring. It was pretty big, and I sold it instanly to get a new metal detector.

I guess around 8 years ago night hunting a park with a buddy in Norhtern Delaware, I dug this German Mother's Cross in a public park. It was about 8" down. Hitler gave them to mothers who had at least 4 children. Bronze for 4 kids. Silver for 6 kids and gold for 8 kids. This was the bronze version. Sadly enough when I moved here to Phoenix in June of 2018, I had some stuff stored in my garage and this was one of them. It was stolen right from my garage. Still have the pics at least...

Attachments

• IMG_3664.jpg
    IMG_3664.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 388
Back
Top Bottom