2016 MTHA Open Hunt (Massachusetts)

jimther

Elite Member
The Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association is hosting its annual OPEN HUNT at Houghton's Pond in the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Massachusetts, near Boston. See http://www.masstreasure.com/ for details, map and registration form. Date: October 1st, 2016. This is a Saturday event. You may sign up for the morning hunt, afternoon hunt or for both hunts. It is a "seeded" hunt on a fresh water beach and we have had participants from most New England states for several years.

Jim M.
MTHA Librarian

Thanks for sharing ! I plan on hopefully making it this year.
UPDATE. ..the check is in the mail count me in!

Last edited:
I'm signed up and ready to go, but 1 question - why am I required to wear an apron?? Am I reading those rules correctly? What kind of apron? Why??

I'm signed up and ready to go, but 1 question - why am I required to wear an apron?? Am I reading those rules correctly? What kind of apron? Why??

I assume they mean a finds pouch but maybe they want you to use a apron instead of a traditional pouch, IDK.
I guess I will bring an apron too just in case.

https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/ROOST001/ProductLarge/1RC-2003-M.jpg

I guess this is the type of apron they mean, maybe someone who was there last year can clarify.

I used my usual finds pouch last year. I wasn't told to wear an "apron". Most people there were using their normal hunting pouches.

I do recommend that people use as small a coil as they can and stay away from the like equipped. Otherwise, it can get quite noisy. That many people swinging near each other creates lots of interference.

I used my usual finds pouch last year. I wasn't told to wear an "apron". Most people there were using their normal hunting pouches.

I do recommend that people use as small a coil as they can and stay away from the like equipped. Otherwise, it can get quite noisy. That many people swinging near each other creates lots of interference.
Good to know all I have is a 10x12 lol how many people do you think showed up last year? Is it gunna be crowded or ? I like group hunts but I also like my space, as you know lol

Good to know all I have is a 10x12 lol how many people do you think showed up last year? Is it gunna be crowded or ? I like group hunts but I also like my space, as you know lol

The beach isn't huge. You won't be tripping over other people, but, you only need to get close to pick up interference.

Not a lot of people showed up last year with Minelabs. Most common were Whites, Garrets, and Tesoros.

Did one of those hunts in MA when I was just getting started. One of the "hunts" was about a 30' x 5' strip of sand & you had to be the first to collect 3 items & cross the Finish line.. I'd never seen guys swinging like that! I was lucky I didn't lose a foot!

Was a fun time ~ trinkets & prizes for everyone, nothing taken too seriously.

Actually, that's not true. A couple guys took it WAY too seriously ~ the rest of us were just having fun. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom