Got My First Box of Nickels

Mitragorz

I haven't cracked it open yet. What coins should I be on the lookout for? I'm not looking to complete sets or anything, I'm just looking for silver and any old coins that might be worth something. I went with nickels bc the bank teller had a box nearby.

-War Nickels
-Buffalo Nickels
-V Nickels.

Anything else? I also heard that 2009 is a hard year to find, but is there any benefit to me keeping those if I'm not a real "collector"?

Thanks!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those as well. I got through two "columns" so far, $20 worth. The last roll in each column held 1942 War Nickel. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Are the late 50s early 60s reaally worth keeping? I've got a bunch, and cointracker.com says they're worth more than face... They say 30 cents or so to a dollar, but are there places/people that will really give you, say, 50 cents for one of these? It just seems like they're so common. Especially the 1964.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those as well. I got through two "columns" so far, $20 worth. The last roll in each column held 1942 War Nickel. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

Are the late 50s early 60s reaally worth keeping? I've got a bunch, and cointracker.com says they're worth more than face... They say 30 cents or so to a dollar, but are there places/people that will really give you, say, 50 cents for one of these? It just seems like they're so common. Especially the 1964.

Get yourself a Whitman Jefferson nickel folder and try filling it up, nice clean fun. The 1964 is so common because all 3 main mints produced record numbers and San Fransico and Denver did not put mint marks on them. So you will never know where the 64 nickel was minted.

I collect the v Nickels, Buffs, war nickels, any 1940s and 50s, and 2009.

Well, I thought I had two 1942 War Nickels... But after researching a bit, I learned that the war nickels have mint marks over the dome of Monticello, and the ones I found don't have that. Oh well.

I did find three buffalo nickels. One is a 1935, and the other two are too faded to tell. Also a 5-cent Canadian piece, a 5-cent Panama piece, and a 50-fils UAE piece. Other than that, a bunch of coins from the 60s, a handful from the 50s, and a dozen or so from the 30s and 40s. Cointracker says the 60s are worth more than face, but I don't know who I'd sell them to, so they'll probably go back into the pile and into the change machine at the bank.

Then maybe I'll try my luck again!

Dude, three Buffs is AWESOME for a box of nickels!!!!!!!! You scored big time!!! It is very hard to find ONE buffalo let alone three!! Major props to you man and don't feel bad about no war nickels, buffs are probably worth more anyways. Yeah those 42's get you going when you see the date, found three of them in the last box I had and none were war nicks!!

Yeah, I was pretty excited to find those. I just wish the two weren't so faded. I'm out of town, but I'll put a few pics up when I got home tomorrow night.

Back
Top Bottom