south fl tides

garviso8

Elite Member
I've been detecting low tides recently at my local beaches and was wondering if the wind direction had anything to do with it .I recently went detecting and the beach was at low tide and targets were literally exposing themselves such as sunglasses and the three rings found in the shallows, almost surface finds, yet the last few hunts were at low tides and the wind was pushing the receding water almost to the towel line, for you south fl hunters is there a preferred wind direction to hunt? or is no wind better to hunt low tides. hope you understand my question kind of hard to describe, but I feel like this is an important factor In water hunting.

I can't speak specifically to your beaches, since I'm in CA. Each beach follows it's own set of "rules" for when-erosion-occurs. Each beach acclimates to its norms. And when weather conditions (winds, directions, tides, swells) go outside of those norms, then beaches either sand "in" or "out".

Here in CA, it's takes on-shore (or slightly cross-shore is ok too). But if the wind is blowing OFF shore, that's usually a bad thing. That will flatten out the waves and diminish their hit.

And better yet, wait for those onshore winds to combine with on-shore swells. Swells and winds that are above average norms by a large degree. Ie.: not just gentle breezes or slightly higher swells. The kind of waves I like to see are the Hawaii 5-0 type waves, if you're old enough to remember the opening scene of that TV show :) And preferably breaking right on-shore. Not breaking off-shore and "rolling" in.

When

You found the 3 ring's and sun glasses , they call it, the Hard Pan was exposed , they also call it Ideal Condition's, those are the time's you will find the treasure , and hunt as long as those condition's are still their , sometimes only a short window , before the sand return's, condition's like this, i hardly see here on my replenished - beaches , happy hunting , PS they better happen here this year or else :mad:

.... sometimes only a short window , before the sand return's, condition's like this, i hardly see here...

Yup. I've seen entire winter-seasons go by, where the conditions never even merit going out to look. There's been entire winter seasons where the swells never pick up, etc... But then all of the sudden, a single winter season produces some epic erosion.

And oddly, it will be only at a singular location or two. While other beaches, a mere .25 mile away, will remain totally sanded in. As if mother nature picks a singular spot on the beach to be her "bee in the bonnet". So you have to scout multiple beaches to see where potential action might be.

Lots of things dictate tidal change. If you're on the east coast for instance, winds from the west will "push" an outgoing tide a little further. Likewise, an east wind will "push" the water back on the beach. Not to a large degree but wind speed and direction does change things a little. Big factor is moon phase and time of year.
You can go to NOAA on line and get tide chart for your area. It'll have when the tides are changing and a chart of how much depth change there will be. Or, go to most bait and tackle shops, they will generally have a tide chart for the local area. With that, you'll be able to plan your hunts at the very best, most significant low tides. East coast, you want full or new moon and a week of west winds. You'll be able to walk to Europe.

Take a look at a tide chart. You will find that there are plus and minus numbers for different times of the tide cycle. Don't know what area of Fl you are in but on my local beahes I have seen as much as a foot above or below normal.

Back
Top Bottom