Reasons people say “no”

Farmers are more often faced with firearm hunters. This is where a lot of them get their attitudes toward strangers. This leads to contact with others who might just be looking to detect. Still their past experiences often judge their feelings toward anyone.

excellent point! an element of truth to this, and perfectly
understandable.not to be negative, but "attitudes" of "some" people are
"spooky" enough, add in the possibility of being shot would certainly make
me nervous if i was a farmer...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I bet you read him right. Pointing at liability is a nice way of saying "no" without saying "no". Blame it on the lawyers. It might be arguable sometimes, but I'm not going to waste some old fella's time. Besides, it's a lot more fun when the owner is excited about what I'm doing rather than merely tolerant.

Other than an outright "yes" I can deal with the "It's been hunted before" response. At least you can come back with a "Oh, I like a good challenge" without it it sounding like an argument.

right and in THAT situation, you still got a chance!..all they can do is say no!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Yup, and sadly I can’t blame them really. I stayed to chat a few minutes in hopes of a change of mind but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is "dead nuts" right! it's unfortunate, but the reality is people
don't want to get involved.it's very easy to just say no! matter of common sense.
why tempt fate!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I think that's a good lesson and a much healthier perspective than thinking everybody is paranoid.

It might be hard for some of us to believe, but some people are completely fine knowing there are some goodies in their dirt and they're happy to keep them that way.

this is a good possibility, and could very well be the "real" underlying reason
why the answer is no, and all the rest of the reasons are just a "smoke screen"
to keep people away...lest we forget, this IS "private" property we are talking about!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My parents and grandparents were deeply religious and didn't believe in drinking. If you were to show up with that you would instantly get a no.

Fortunately, the vast majority of people see nothing wrong with taking a drink once in awhile...

I’ve received some amazing life lessons in this discussion. Maybe the whole idea here is maybe good people can tell other good people no, and it doesn’t have to be justified. It ended with a handshake and a smile and maybe he’ll change his mind next time he sees me around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said with an awesome positive outlook! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom