Troy Shadow X5.

tetball

hello.

I would like to know the opinion to me of the users of this detector. I have heard say that it looks for very deep in (VLF). Single I look for in field i the forest.

Thanks.

Robert.

I used the X5 but it was a real pain in my old coal mining area as it loved deeeeep coal/coke.
Nice and deep though if you haven't got that problem and I've picked up a Shadow X3 for my wife to use when out of area.
One problem for me is that I suppose if it goes wrong it will mean a trip back to the States for repair.
Coil choice is important if you are going for very small coins in contaminated areas. The stock coil can be a little large whilst the 7" standard on the X3 can feel like trying to paint a barn with a half inch brush.

I should be getting my X5 today. So maybe we can learn together. I will be using the 7", standard 9" and the DD. I had the X3 and really enjoyed it.

I have been metal detecting for 35 years and have used, literally, hundreds of detectors and I must say my Troy X5 and X3 are keepers. I like the design, quality, functions, sensitivity and depth on very small fragments, very lightweight, and I get real pleasure and enjoyment using  them. I have the range of coils, but use the 10"X5" coil mainly and the 7" these coils satisfy my needs very adequately in the UK.
The fragments referred above are broken or cut, medieval hammered silver
coins and their like.
Air gun pellets have a good response at some depth, but are recognisable with practice as a different and slightly softer sound than the coin fragments.
However, please listen to what the detector is saying and you will avoid digging a lot of large iron. It took me a few days to learn the nuances of the sounds.
Viva la Troy!

I use the x5.It does go deep but I would not
recomend it for a first det. The x5 will find small
gold chains in the preset mode that explorer
or cz20 will not detect in all metal mode.
only drawback is you will dig everything.

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and have been pleased with it. I have the 7", 9" and the DD. I still have a lot to learn but I can say the same about all the detectors I used when I first got them. I like the 7" in trashy areas and coin shooting. I use the DD relic hunting and when I need to cover larger areas. So far it has shown to be very sensitive to small objects. It's easy to set up for coin shooting. I set the disc. at 4, above what is recommended, that way if it sounds off and then goes silent with the zinc up it most likely be a nickel, I find more nickels now but it can be fooled. But that has proven to be the same for all other detectors I've owned but the X5 seems to be better. I'm digging almost everything and I've found small iron has a harsh sound so it is easy to ignore. Large iron also has a harsh sound but when I pinpoint it usually shows up as a very large object. Don't get me wrong, I have dug quiet a bit of trash but I can see where with more practice I can learn to be better at ID'ing different targets. Like I said I still have lots of practice ahead and much to learn.

...I'Ding iron with the X5 is relatively easy, but you HAVE to spend the time in the field with it to hone your skills. I ID iron in essentially three different ways.
First, iron is almost always a harsher and rougher sound. NOT mellow and smooth like a desireable non ferrous target.
When I get a signal I suspect is iron, the FIRST thing I do is is check it out in VCO . Push the pinpoint button, and "size " the target. Iron often has a huge footprint, and the VCO signal will "ramp up" differently on iron than it will on a good target. If you push the VCO and slowly swing over an average non ferrous target, the sound will come up slowly and smoothly. Do the same on iron, and will will ramp up really quick. Shallow iron will literally scream at you.
I use the coin check to ID iron as well. Its one of the better tools for doing this.
When you are checking a target, listen to the response in both coin check positons, as well and the normal one. What you are looking for is a clean break in the response. that is, when you push the Coin check in either the up or down positions, your looking for the beep to either go away completely, or stay completely.
If it "breaks up" or gets chattery, its usually iron.
I've got to clarify that a little bit. Sometimes you will get a lower conductive target that will give you an iffy signal in the lower position, but it will be gone completely in the upper position. I usually dig these.
They are often a target thats right on the break point of the discriminator. If it breaks up in BOTH positions however, it almost always iron, especially if its the upper one .
Also, I usually circle my target if I'm really not sure. Good targets will tend to (but not always) stay the same if you attack them from different directions, but iron will change on virtually every sweep.
When you do your sweeps, be sure you directly on the target too. Iron will often give you a decent sound of you just sweeping the edge of it.
Re-center, and swing directly over the center, and your response will change. Now, there are exceptions to every rule, and only with experience will you be able to make judgement calls in the field on whether or not to dig. When it doubt, DIG IT!! All this may seen like a lot, but in practice, it takes only SECONDS to do an evaluation in the field. With practice, you'll get better and better at it.
At the moment my X5's are the only machine I use, I have tried others but they just don't cut it for me.
I was tempted to have a whirl with a GoldMaxPower, but then Troy rang for a chat...so I wait.
One thing I didn't mention about VCO whilst on the topic, is that if you very quickly push it a second time, you will find that it narrows the target centre very significantly, again emphasizing the larger footprint iron gives.
Hope this helps,
Dino

Shadow X5

I have had mine about a year and I am an old house hunter. I try find and hunt houses built before the Civil War and have had a lot of success with them. I normally will do a potential study by tuning out nickels and see was I find. If I find a silver coin, or wheat penny I will throw down a nickel and tune the detector to the level where I will not detect it, I will then back off the discrimation until the nickel shows up and dig everything I think may have potential. Once you learn your sounds you will be able to have a lot of success. The only thing I don't like is there is no volume control on the detector that I can find. I wanted to try it with noise supression headphones but the headphones don't have a volume control either. I think noise supression headphones would may a big diffence on deep signals. This thing will go deep!

Some of my finds with the Shadow: 1778 Silver Spanish Reale, numerous civil war bullets, silver coins, indian head cents, at least 5 union civil war buttons,
several cheap rings and one 14K Men's Wedding band. I have permission to hunt an old house dated 1837 but am holding off until we get some rain. I like the soil to be soft, especially in a yard hunting situtation. I also carry a bottle of grass seed with me and seed everywhere I dig. The home owner loves that.

Back
Top Bottom