• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Good Coin Camera for Computer

1960DPenny

I am looking sell some coins and would like to be able to take nice, crisp (and most importantly) magnified pictures of them.

Can anyone recommend a good camera for such a task?

One that directly plugged into the computer (via USB port) would be especially nice.

I don't mind paying good money for a good product, but like everyone else in this economy -- "cheaper is better."

Thanks to all that respond.

You don't need an expensive camera.
You need one that has a macro setting.
You need one that you can turn the flash off.
It would be nice to have one w/ a 2 sec delay and small tripod.
It would also be nice to have a source of diffused lighting,

Megapixels don't really matter since your pics will be going online. Anything over 2.

Just as an example... I went to ebay went to digital camreras. Selected all thr options for 5 MP and under.
This one had 10 minutes left on the auction when I checked. Bid + Shipping as at $23.
link
Its also the one I use... All of these pics were taken with it. images
No editing done to the pics other than cropping

Last edited:
There are a plethora of affordable USB microscopes, but you want one that is mounted like on a universal arm or has a microscope base (or make one), remaining perfectly still is the key to quality macro photos, along with diffused lighting.

I just ordered the Celestron 2mp USB Microscope. I have seen some great coin photos taken with it !!

I have to agree with the Celestron. However, It has 6 LED lights that you can't turn off, so If you have a coin with good luster, the lights will almost certainly throw the quality of it off, an mask details(unless you can position it just right). In any other situation, however, I think that I performs superbly.

I dont have a fancy set up most of my pics are taken with my iPhone 4s and a 10x loupe.

f27fb66b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom