Christened the new sniper coil the right way...with GOLD!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Got about 5 short hunts under my belt with my new sniper coil mounted on my Vaq.
These were just some small test hunts, today I had more time and I drove over 20 miles to a favorite site, an old park with a basketball court and where I found 2 gold rings and a big silver ring about 2 months ago.
I wonder if I can find some great targets a little deeper than my F2 and sniper coil can reach and this is the best kind of place to do that.

I got there early and started hunting that trashy basketball court and found some clad I missed in previous hunts but nothing else before I got bored and started walking around to other parts of the park.
Dug more clad, I was having a great time when the rain started.
I drove to check out another small park close with another court I have not hunted yet, and found another one that I did not even know was in the neighborhood and since the rain did not look like it was stopping soon I just went home.

Hung out with the wife for awhile, she got sick of me and the rain stopped so I went to my go-to place which is a Jr. college only a mile from my home just to kill a little time because it was overcast, relatively cool, and there was still plenty of light left.
I have hit the many grass islands separating the large parking lot where I found a bunch of clad and one small gold ring on another hunt when I came here just to kill time.
There is a large basketball court with many baskets but I have found mostly just clad around this thing in many, many hunts, but I started there anyway.

Still not much, a little clad I missed in the past, and just for the heck of it I wandered out to a large flat area next to this court.
Huge area, see the basketball court waaay down there?
Not a sports field but it is near some so maybe some students sat here in the past or something but I really have no idea.

jccc.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

Small coil, big area, this was not the right coil to use for sure, but I have been lucky before just roaming around big areas like this so I said what the heck, I gave it a try.
Guess what?
Lightning struck again and I just happened to wander over the exact right spot, I just happened to get a pretty solid signal and I just happened to dig it.
Gold baby!
A small one, only 1.8 grams but it is marked 14k and it counts!

The best way to christen new equipment is by finding the best targets and in my case I mean gold.
Now that he tasted gold once I hope my new little coil buddy liked it and will sniff out more for me in the future...the near future.

I made a vow to dig 12 pieces of gold this year, one for every month, and this is number 7 so I am on track.
I love it when a plan comes together!

Attachments

• P1040468.jpg
    P1040468.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 490
Way to go Digger. You are really zeroing in on the gold and your posts have helped the rest of us find more rings as well. Since I started reading your posts I have found a ring a week. You got me digging those trash signals. It's a lot of work but comes with some nice surprises. Keep it up.

Way to go Digger. You are really zeroing in on the gold and your posts have helped the rest of us find more rings as well. Since I started reading your posts I have found a ring a week. You got me digging those trash signals. It's a lot of work but comes with some nice surprises. Keep it up.

If you watched the vid, notice the setting...high foil just before nickel is where it came in.
I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk.
7 pieces of gold since Jan., all trash signals in one form or another.

Great job!!! You are my hero but you make me sick all at the same time!!!

I strive to live up to the rep, take some meds and go out and dig those solid trash signals.
:D

Digger,
So do you think that set up reaches down a bit more than the F2??
Congrats on the Gold!!

HH!

As the Valley girls used to say...Fer-Sure!

I got the Vaq as my real first detector after using a cheaper BH unit that just couldn't handle my horrible hot soil back in Birmingham.
Turns out that soil was so bad even the Vaq with a DD coil couldn't penetrate more than about 4" at most sites I used to hunt...nothing could, but I still found plenty and lots of jewelry which usually isn't very deep.

Here in Kansas the soil is great, all my detectors go way deeper and even though I still rarely find anything great at more than 5" at most of the park sites I hunt, it is really nice to know the cuffs are finally off and if I roll across something deeper I have a shot to hear it.

I did a quick air test out on my patio when I got this coil and even with my wifi on, several other neighbors too, I was still getting deeper with this set up than the F2 can reach which is to be expected considering the price and power differences.
At my normal park settings, sense at 10, thresh supertuned at 3:00 and disc just around iron in air testing I am getting huge silver rings at 9-10", quarters and dimes at 7-8", nickels at a bit more, and more importantly normal medium sized gold rings at 8-9"!
All targets could be heard a little deeper in all metal.
Even a very small gold ring was loud and clear at 7", and all of that beats my F2 and sniper coil by a few inches at least, and even if I don't hit these exact areas in the real world in the dirt I know I am pretty close and further than the F2 can go with that sniper mounted.

I hit about $200 in clad for the year yesterday and I have been tumbling my coins for the last few days.
I think I will be checking out a GoPro camera later today after I go to the bank and cash this in.
I want to start getting some hunts on film and this camera with a head strap will do the job nicely.
Maybe the first thing I will try it on will be an air test with the Vaq and this coil.

I will still use the F2 at new and real trashy sites to get a lot of the trash out of the way and try to cherry pick some good ones, but now with this coil I can come in with the Vaq a little earlier than I used to before the site is super cleaned and maybe find some deeper goodies.

These mid to upper end units don't seem to lose much depth with smaller coils compared to standard sized, my friend that has a T2 gets about the same depth with his small coil as he does with his larger one.

Sniper coils are my favorite because I usually look for gold and silver in some very trashy sites, and I look forward to re-visiting some of my sites with this new set up and see if I missed anything.
Nice to know that I didn't feel too frustrated trying to cover this huge area with a coil this size and even though it was still the wrong one to use at a huge area like this it still seemed to find me some nice, yellow goodness.

Hey digger27, you need to update your signature to reflect that magic # of 7 GOLD! : ) I hope you reach your goal by years end!

Hey digger27, you need to update your signature to reflect that magic # of 7 GOLD! : ) I hope you reach your goal by years end!

Done.
This is gold ring #6 since Jan. 1...and 1 gold bracelet which makes 7 and matches last year's totals.

I did find a gold ring with the Compadre on 12-27-12...but I don't count that in this years total.
Kind of a game I play with myself, keep track of the numbers and always try to reach a further goal, something I have always done being in sales for most of my career.
"You don't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been."

Here are my totals for 2012 and what I am trying to beat this year.
Considering I drained so much clad from my parks last year unless I come across some new virgin sites that amount might be hard to beat but I am still doing good.
I am way down on the silver finds for this year compared to last, but the few I have found included some honking huge men's rings and that is unusual and different so I will take it and I am satisfied, I found a few more silver dimes this year but also 2 Franklin halves, and I matched my gold finds so I have a shot to pass that which is always my primary goal.
One more piece of gold in any form and I will officially have my greatest year ever.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself with that statement.

Attachments

• 2012 totals.jpg
    2012 totals.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 337
Digger, I always like your post, so entertaining and full of info! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom