Nox depth?

So what sort of depth are folk getting in dirt, i'm finding it quite average.

What kind of dirt? Are you using a test garden? Eyeballing it? When you say average, compared to what? Are there targets another machine hit in the ground that the nox didnt see?

Im getting insane deprh here in the UK on the beaches and fields.

Regularly digging coins etc 10", 12" and more.

Matt

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

My ground varies but mostly quite mineralised, it will fill the mineral scale on the Deus in places.
In my test garden it gets a small (dime size) silver hammered penny at 6"-7", larger coins to about 9".

What kind of dirt? Are you using a test garden? Eyeballing it? When you say average, compared to what? Are there targets another machine hit in the ground that the nox didnt see?

I purposely buried a silver dime just to the point of barely detectable, to set up a program on my Deus to hit it. It was buried at 11 inches.

2 years later it must have settled a bit and the Deus couldn't hit on it anymore.

When I got my 800, I thought, this is a good test. The NOX not only found it, but it was repeatable. Granted it wasn't a screaming signal but a silver dime at 11+ inches is what I observed in my mild soil.

Georgia red clay I can hit a dime at 8". 10" it will hit but just barely. This is with sensitivity at 20. I could probably do better with higher sense but power lines limit me.

BCD

Last edited:
Mine hits dimes at 8 inches and quarters at 10+ , so no complaints here.

Dont forget . you can tweak those settings and squeak more depth out of them than the factory settings.

I know many say you dont need to ground balance , in some places you might get a little extra depth by leaving it at zero or running it with negative bias but Ive been getting better depth and accuracy when properly ground balanced.

If you call the depth " average " then you are doing it wrong :lol:

Experiment with it , find what works better....

I purposely buried a silver dime just to the point of barely detectable, to set up a program on my Deus to hit it. It was buried at 11 inches.

2 years later it must have settled a bit and the Deus couldn't hit on it anymore.

When I got my 800, I thought, this is a good test. The NOX not only found it, but it was repeatable. Granted it wasn't a screaming signal but a silver dime at 11+ inches is what I observed in my mild soil.
Impressive!

Matt.

On a freshly cut grass field this morning, on what i would consider nice soil, i freshly buried a few coins.
It GB'd 4 in field 1, recovery 4, iron bias 3, sensitivity 23.
On a dime sized hammered silver that reads 11 in air, it got it ok at 6", but at 7" you would probably walk past, mostly ID at 8.
Tried a large silver hammered, reads 18 in air, just about got it at 8", ID was jumping all round.

Dropping recovery speed below 4 is horrible, everything just seems slow and lagging, and very little gain in depth.
I'm not complaining about the depth, i bought it for finding small stuff shallow, but its still good to know it's limits.

On a freshly cut grass field this morning, on what i would consider nice soil, i freshly buried a few coins.
It GB'd 4 in field 1, recovery 4, iron bias 3, sensitivity 23.
On a dime sized hammered silver that reads 11 in air, it got it ok at 6", but at 7" you would probably walk past, mostly ID at 8.
Tried a large silver hammered, reads 18 in air, just about got it at 8", ID was jumping all round.

Dropping recovery speed below 4 is horrible, everything just seems slow and lagging, and very little gain in depth.
I'm not complaining about the depth, i bought it for finding small stuff shallow, but its still good to know it's limits.
Freshly buried coin tests are basically worthless to be honest. About as useful as air tests. They give a general idea of machines abilities but results on old targets in wild will be way different. Sometimes much better sometimes much worse. There are just too many variables.

It took about a year of being buried at 6 inches for any of my detectors including at pro and etrac to give any signal on coins buried in my test garden. I still dont get solid signals on them even with my ctx or nox. Yet I have found many wheats and silvers at 8-10 inches at my local parks with etrac, nox, and ctx.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have gotten dimes at 8 plus inches, a screw cap at 13. It is as good in my soil as my deus which had been my deepest machine to date and i have used almost everything made.

Yes and no, if you detect parks or old lawns that have been there for decades, then yes, and a person may be used to the target response.
But in the UK much of the detecting is done on farm land that's ploughed and turned over yearly, this means that 100% of the targets on these grounds are freshly buried.
Remember that the Equinox landed at Detectival which was held on stubble fields, again 100% freshly buried targets, yet there was videos going about where the Nox was getting great depth there.

Freshly buried coin tests are basically worthless to be honest. About as useful as air tests. They give a general idea of machines abilities but results on old targets in wild will be way different. Sometimes much better sometimes much worse. There are just too many variables.

It took about a year of being buried at 6 inches for any of my detectors including at pro and etrac to give any signal on coins buried in my test garden. I still dont get solid signals on them even with my ctx or nox. Yet I have found many wheats and silvers at 8-10 inches at my local parks with etrac, nox, and ctx.

Cut the iron bias to 0 or one, two tone, threshold 14, sensitivity as high as you can in Field 1. This will be as deep on small silver as your machine will get. Higher iron bias can "filter" out deep signals so where conditions allow lower it.

My testing shows using 11" LF coil on Deus comparing to Nox 800 using stock 11" DD coil.

Deus must be run in deep mode to keep up with Nox for depth.
Silver dime Nox slightly deeper.

The machine, for me anyway, truly and absolutely astounds me in it's sheer awesomeness with regards to seperation and recovery speed on a trashy beach.

The amount of coins I've dug mixed with rusty iron etc is amazing.

Matt.

Good point. I was not considering freshly plowed fields.
Yes and no, if you detect parks or old lawns that have been there for decades, then yes, and a person may be used to the target response.
But in the UK much of the detecting is done on farm land that's ploughed and turned over yearly, this means that 100% of the targets on these grounds are freshly buried.
Remember that the Equinox landed at Detectival which was held on stubble fields, again 100% freshly buried targets, yet there was videos going about where the Nox was getting great depth there.

Im in UK and i will try do a quick depth test in my back garden on some freshly dropped silver.

I will whack on Youtooob[emoji3]

Matt.

Back
Top Bottom