General Metal Detecting Guide

Thats why i made this.. While i am in no way a "Expert" I like to think i have learned a little bit about the hobby over the years.

I am just glad someone has found this usefull :)

Thanks for the info in your post, can see it took awhile to put it all down with pics included. Lots of answers to questions sometimes asked in there.

hello all, i am very new to the metal detector sport, i picked it up from my father in-law. to the creator of this thread i just want to say thanks found it very informitive and i would love any help or info from anyone willing to give me a step in the right direction, as much as i could learn from my father in-law on the this subject we live a few states away. so if anyone had any helpful hints to get started feel free to send me a message.

thanks dan

There are volumes of books written on this as well as tens of thousands of posts!! Where do you want to begin? What will you be looking for? How much can you spend??

Ya get the idea!!! Welcome to the hobby!!!!!!

Dusty

There are volumes of books written on this as well as tens of thousands of posts!! Where do you want to begin? What will you be looking for? How much can you spend??

Ya get the idea!!! Welcome to the hobby!!!!!!

Dusty

well i allready ordered my first md a whites coinmaster pro it was all i could afford right off the bat. i have access to some old foundations and beaches and some state parks with coloneial age to them hear in rhode island. but i would be happy to even find relatively new money just to help pay for the new hobby. i also picked up headphones and a cheap pinpointer not sure what kind. but was curious of what kind of depth i will get with this detector

thanks newbie

just made my first finds this weekend. $1.43 in change nothing old but its a start. some varius shot gun brass but no plastic on them so i dont now how old they are, i dont know how long ago they used something other than a plastic caseing for them. on another note if iron is next to something else like copper or silver or gold will the machine only pickup the the iron and block out the others or will i get partial hits on the discritator of the others, or if one was above or below what would the effect be from any of your experience?
thanks

just made my first finds this weekend. $1.43 in change nothing old but its a start. some varius shot gun brass but no plastic on them so i dont now how old they are, i dont know how long ago they used something other than a plastic caseing for them. on another note if iron is next to something else like copper or silver or gold will the machine only pickup the the iron and block out the others or will i get partial hits on the discritator of the others, or if one was above or below what would the effect be from any of your experience?
thanks

If you are discriminating some, you might block out the iron, but since most detectors pinpoint in the all metal mode, you would probably pick it up then. It always pays to recheck your hole for something that might have been masked by the first object. A lot of times if someone loses a coin, they lose more than one. So recheck the hole and the area near it.

I am also a new coin shooter and that is why I opened this thread to read it. Thanks very much! Just learning my machine and running on all metal mode so I am diggin everything...actually mostly scooping everything since I am hitting city park gravelly/sandy kiddies playgrounds. Until yesterday, things had gone about as I had expected....5 trips and around 2.99 in modern change but I hit my first coin spill, 99 cents in a small area, then 6 feet away 59 cents! That was a big thrill! I intend to continue with this approach until I have worked all the local parks, then I will start researching to find some older locations....have a few ideas but I sure am enjoying the easier sifting rather than diggin! :lol:

city permit a must

heads up all newbies, including me with three weeks on ace350. i came across city park field supervisor while MD'ing. he was very polite informing i must have permit to MD in the city. he told me i could be cited without permit. i agree with him and i was so glad he told me this. he also told me his patner was observing me in their truck while i was digging. i was relief when he told me i'm doing a good job putting the area i worked in original condition. man! you never know who's watching. he told me who to see for the city permit, without fee. also i told him i'm in the lost stuff organization do volunteer work for community if any person lose their jewelry or something of value. both were very please to hear about our organization volunteer work. now i got the whole city parks to myself to MD without anyone on my back. one more thing, don't carry full size shovel. that will turn off any park supervisor. yes, each MD'er should look into their city rules just to be on the safe side. i will carry the MD's permit in my wallace once i get it from the city clerk. just want to share this, be kind to the city clerk and the park staff. ace350/pro pinpointer

Back
Top Bottom