Coinstar Machines

Who let the cat out of the bag?....

a few years ago I used to run the office coffee fund and every month I would go to the store dump all the change and buy more supplys..well I started finding tons of extra loot and have been a loyal checker of the machines for about 4 years. I have 2 silver roosies and probably over 30 foreign coins.

but now with all of YOU moving in on my territory/......

I just take my coins to the bank. They don't like them rolled. They dump them into an automated counter and come back with a $$ amount on a printout. Is this uncommon?

Still no silver, over a year now :mad: I did manage a 1931 wheat ear and a 1988 dime. At least I got a wheat ear out of it.

Well now I have another reason to go to the grocery store in my area.

Still silverless - another CEC token and a few scattered clad coins. I hate seeing a solo dime in there and have it being clad :mad:

What would you do?

OK, enough time has passed for me to post this and feel comfortable doing so. I would also be interested in hearing what everyone else would have done if they found themselves in a similar situation.

Two years ago I had tumbled all my beach clad and brought it to a CoinStar machine. The machine was having a hard time processing all the coins even though I was going slow. I basically had to feed the coins in one at a time and the machine was still jamming up every 10 seconds or so. I eventually had to give up and get a manager because the device was all backed up with my change.

The manager got the key and opened it up. Inside the CoinStar machine is a drum that spins to sort all the coins. This drum was packed with all my beach clad. Needless to say, I was quite embarrased because I thought I was the one who caused the jam by trying to cash in all my cruddy clad, even though I did my best to clean it prior by tumbling.

The manager cleared all the coins from the drum and poured them back into my jar. He then said "Oh... these are what caused the jam... never seen these before... they must be yours"? He then removed three Morgan Dollars from the drum.

The Morgans were small enough for someone to put in the machine, but too big to exit the drum and go to the return bin. They were just spinning on the drum and blocking all the coins inserted from being sorted.

I was a little shocked when he handed me 3 pristine Morgan Dollars. I almost admitted that I wasn't the one who put them in there, but before I could say anything, he said that there was an internal reject bin that was also full and had to be emptied before he could put it back in service.

He then positioned himself between me and the machine very suspiciously and removed a small catch bin from the side of the drum. He took this bin and quickly shuffled it into the back room. It was fairly obvious he didn't want me to see what was in the bin because he covered it with his had and glanced back over his shoulder to make sure I wasn't watching.

A minute later, he returned with the now empty bin and put it back into the machine. He closed the thing up and quickly dashed into the back room again.

I thought again about admitting that I wasn't the person who had put the Morgan Dollars into the CoinStar machine, but his behaviour with the internal reject bin made me suspect that if I turned them over to him, he would have just kept them for himself.

Questions- Would you have admitted that you weren't the person who put the Morgans into the machine? Why do you think the manager was so intent on making sure that I couldn't see the contents of the internal reject bin? Do you think CoinStar sets their machines to divert certain coin types (Gold perhaps?) to the internal reject bin instead of the return tray? Do you think the coins were put into the machine by a kid cashing some of their fathers coin collection or just someone who didn't know what they were?

Dates on the Morgans were 1885, 1887, and 1889

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,323
with that guy hiding what was in that reject jar, im surprised he didnt know the three morgans were silver... the had to be something good inside that jar, and i think keeping them was a good idea:D awesome finds

OK, enough time has passed for me to post this and feel comfortable doing so. I would also be interested in hearing what everyone else would have done if they found themselves in a similar situation.

Two years ago I had tumbled all my beach clad and brought it to a CoinStar machine. The machine was having a hard time processing all the coins even though I was going slow. I basically had to feed the coins in one at a time and the machine was still jamming up every 10 seconds or so. I eventually had to give up and get a manager because the device was all backed up with my change.

The manager got the key and opened it up. Inside the CoinStar machine is a drum that spins to sort all the coins. This drum was packed with all my beach clad. Needless to say, I was quite embarrased because I thought I was the one who caused the jam by trying to cash in all my cruddy clad, even though I did my best to clean it prior by tumbling.

The manager cleared all the coins from the drum and poured them back into my jar. He then said "Oh... these are what caused the jam... never seen these before... they must be yours"? He then removed three Morgan Dollars from the drum.

The Morgans were small enough for someone to put in the machine, but too big to exit the drum and go to the return bin. They were just spinning on the drum and blocking all the coins inserted from being sorted.

I was a little shocked when he handed me 3 pristine Morgan Dollars. I almost admitted that I wasn't the one who put them in there, but before I could say anything, he said that there was an internal reject bin that was also full and had to be emptied before he could put it back in service.

He then positioned himself between me and the machine very suspiciously and removed a small catch bin from the side of the drum. He took this bin and quickly shuffled it into the back room. It was fairly obvious he didn't want me to see what was in the bin because he covered it with his had and glanced back over his shoulder to make sure I wasn't watching.

A minute later, he returned with the now empty bin and put it back into the machine. He closed the thing up and quickly dashed into the back room again.

I thought again about admitting that I wasn't the person who had put the Morgan Dollars into the CoinStar machine, but his behaviour with the internal reject bin made me suspect that if I turned them over to him, he would have just kept them for himself.

Questions- Would you have admitted that you weren't the person who put the Morgans into the machine? Why do you think the manager was so intent on making sure that I couldn't see the contents of the internal reject bin? Do you think CoinStar sets their machines to divert certain coin types (Gold perhaps?) to the internal reject bin instead of the return tray? Do you think the coins were put into the machine by a kid cashing some of their fathers coin collection or just someone who didn't know what they were?

Dates on the Morgans were 1885, 1887, and 1889

I wouldn't worry about it, all that matters now is that you have the morgans!:spin:

Thank you for the tip, I go to coin star because I dont feel like cleaning the coins. Two although I give the coins a rinse and clean them up most are discolored and banks and stores wont take them.

I thought about a tumbler another item that would pay for it self but then to roll the coins and do all that:?:

I didnt know about the silver but I'll check from now on cant hurt.

Jamie

Thanks for the tip.

I have a coinstar at the grocery store down the street. I just stared at it for 2 minutes tonight. Awesome to know there is silver there!

They are yours....

I'm usually not quick enough, but after I saw the morgans I would have said, "Aw nuts I dumped my collection of silver coins in there by accident ! " Thereby giving you a leg to stand on when he looked into the reject bin. Oh well maybe next time. Thanks for the tip though, maybe someon else will have a similar opportunity.
Marty
P.S. Recently came up with 27 cents in one CS machine. Some Canadian and a '42 Wheat.

My first souvenir coin from a coinstar. Why bother to make one and then just leave it at a coinstar machine, geesh.

Attachments

• Navy_Pier_Coinstar.jpg
    Navy_Pier_Coinstar.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 970
Coinstar machine still "kidding" me. Been 3 years since my last silver (rosie). Every now and then a clad dime will be there, teasing me that silver may await. Today there were four dimes in the reject slot, alas all clad :mad:

Another teaser coin in the coinstar. One dine, alas clad. Better then the scattered mem I find in them now and then. Not even a token lately!

He probably saw the golden dollar coins and decided to keep them for himself. I dont think the coinstar takes the modern dollar coins.

Back
Top Bottom