• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What detector should I get?

Ask someone in the snow belt if they should drive a corvette or snowmobile. Its not that hard of a question. Same applies to detectors. YOu have PI, Single or Multi frequency. It's pretty straight forward.

Yep. You're right.

You got what you're after now, right?

Info overload.good to know .i dont plan on any salt water detecting but nice to know.thanks

Info overload.good to know .i dont plan on any salt water detecting but nice to know.thanks

If you aren't doing any salt water detecting, a single frequency machine will work just fine. In that class of detectors, the Garrett AT-Pro is a reputable machine and the bonus is that it is waterproof. That really comes in handy if you get caught in the rain or want to hunt inland lakes and creeks. Call the forum sponsors for a price....but IMO, I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a brand new one with a few cheap accessories.

The AT-Maxx was recently released and is kind of like the second version of the AT-Pro. It will give you wireless phones and significantly better depth in all-metal mode. Of course, this is more expensive than the AT-Pro...just gotta figure what works for your budget.

Despite all of the analogies, I would still feel more comfortable recommending a machine I've used, not just read about.

I'm just curious if you've had time swinging the Equinox? If so, please disregard. If not, am I the only one who finds this recommending a product they haven't used thing as odd? Not trying to be an ass, just trying to see if I'm completely alone in this opinion that pre-ordering products and recommending them to others before trying them is a good practice?

This pre-order, use the customer for testers after they pay for something they haven't seen, "business model" comes directly from the video gaming industry. An industry which has been broken for a lot of years now...(I'm lookin at you Electronic Arts).

Anyway, hope the OP finds the machine that fits them. Good luck and HH!

In hindsight, I should of worded it differently and added that it was just a suggestion of what might be available on the market soon for comparisons.
Having owned and used the CTX, Excalibur and Sovereign, I may have been a little too cavalier in my post. Apologies to OP.
Best of luck in your choice of detectors.
On another note:
One can sure tell when people are trapped in deep snow.:laughing:

Last edited:
Would a Garrett at pro be a good coin/ring/ gold detector?

You may want to look into a Teknetics patriot...same as a fisher F70. Lots of depth, easy to learn, light weight and great battery life. I started with a nice used F70 and found lots of stuff.

I agree with Toad! You know whats sort of interesting? As a Lifetime Outdoorsman, Its difficult to compare detectors to ballistics or fishing equipment or any other commonly recognized outdoor procurement gear...Yeah, I'd like to be able to say the 22-250 is all a guy needs, maybe the 25-06...or a 4wheel drive rig is 'better' than a simple front drive wheelie...but really, in the end,...for optimum results, it all comes down to the operator's skills, proficiency with the tool at hand, location, etc....

Seen a lot of jeeps in the ditch on bad weather days, etc..seen a lot of game run off drilled right through the boiler with a 7mm mag, yeah they were hit square solid and dead on their feet, but still a guy had to go chase....the 22-250 right to the head or neck would have dropped them straight in their tracks from the Hydraulic shock to the system........

Seen some nice fish caught with a Zebco 404...so yeah.. in the right hands, a well balanced and trusted stick.....Its like dirt surgery.....

I once killed a half ton Belgian horse with a .22 rimfire...but I knew my limitations and what I was doing ...shot placement primary, 'depth' considerations secondary.....

The F70 (Patriot) is your 22-250, fast as hell and deadly accurate, 52gr BTHP Match, Winchester 760 ball propellant.......the AtPro is the 25-06, a bit more punch in the wind.......these two rigs are gonna get you about anything worthwhile on this Planet....Its hard to make understandable comparisons though...not like simply evaluating Golf clubs or Subarus...theres a hell of a lot more to success in this Sport than the discussion of primary gear....

Last edited:
I too find it odd to recommend a machine that isn't out yet and has no proven track record. How do you base the recommendation? On 4 months of forum discussions among others who haven't used it?

It might be a great machine, but that has yet to be proven in the real world. The ATPro has been.

There are videos of people who are using them now, see You Tube.

There are videos of people who are using them now, see You Tube.

Yes, now there is. I've watched quite a few. It would make more sense to recommend it now that people see what it can do. Personally, still waiting for that "Wow" moment that makes me view my current detector as obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom