• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Fun team contest idea!!! Thoughts please!!!

kreagerm

Elite Member
I see the folks from Wisconsin are doing a little contest and I thought of some team contests I've done in the past and I wanted to see if we would get enough interest to try one on this forum. If something like this interests you, please reply!!! Essentially it's a points system team contest and the rules would be as follows:

1. Points system based off your finds. Point system i.e. Silver Washington 1 point, Silver Franklin 8 points etc
2. At least one coin pic must be taken in the field showing the coin being/after retrieval as well as a pic of the coin cleaned.
3. Once a coin is submitted that coin is taken off the table for that team, so no double points are given. Each member can still submit more coins until the contest is over.
4. We must work on the honor system, any cheating and the member will be ejected from the contest and all his finds will be rejected and points lost.
5. The team with the highest amount of points at the end of the contest is the winner.
6. The user running the thread will control updating the scores.
7. This can be fun and remember all forum rules apply.
8. Teams will be picked at random, and team sizes will be determined by the amount of participants.
9. We will stick with US coins only, as this is our first attempt at this.
10. The team leader of each team will be responsible to contact the main user about issues/questions.
11. Remember that every team member brings a different detecting style/hunting grounds/finds potential so please be patient with all participants/team members.
12. I can't reiterate this is for fun!!! Some type of prize could be determined.

Problem with a points system is it encourages some to fake finds in efforts to win...

We can have the field pics taken with the date stamp on them, most cameras do this.

Honesty is tough these days and we would all have to have morals and do the right thing in the contest. Cheaters will always cheat, if they have to stoop that low for a contest like this, well that's pretty sad.

We can have the field pics taken with the date stamp on them, most cameras do this.

Still doesn't mean the coin couldn't be planted first :)

Honesty is tough these days and we would all have to have morals and do the right thing in the contest. Cheaters will always cheat, if they have to stoop that low for a contest like this, well that's pretty sad.

That's human nature for ya, some guys have such a desire to win, they'll do whatever...seen it many times.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just something to think about when it comes to the format of your contest. :)

Heck there was a documented case of a guy that planted finds, dug them so he could show off to his friends... until they found the cardboard coin holders in the bushes:lol:

That's human nature for ya, some guys have such a desire to win, they'll do whatever...seen it many times.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just something to think about when it comes to the format of your contest. :)

Heck there was a documented case of a guy that planted finds, dug them so he could show off to his friends... until they found the cardboard coin holders in the bushes:lol:

OMG that's crazy, that's why you have to put the cardboard holders back in your pocket lol

Rule #3 question? Would this be like a scavenger hunt format? i.e. once a team member submits a merc dime, no more merc dimes would count towards total.

I carefully read the rules and get the intent, you clearly put some thought into this so I will honor you with a reply.....This could be really cool to select team members at random, I like it on first blush in an effort to foster a Brotherhood of members...I also understand the feedback alerting you to potential loopholes and drawbacks...

I will just throw this in here, in the Spirit of the concept...A lot of us active members simply dont hunt silver..no biggie, theres plenty of subset genres to this Sport to keep us all entertained, so us claddies and gold hunters would lurk and follow along, cheer all the participants regardless...Maybe do a bracket and bet on the teams final placement even!

One things for sure, the Tennessee silver hunting boys got a clear leg up! :laughing:

Probably the best way to roll out an honest contest is to keep it short, simple, and arbitrary? Sure its fun to participate based on skill/luck afield and not "guess how many pennies are in this jar!" kind of deal...the 'prize' would of course dictate the involvement..thats super important...I dont want to change my style for a damned old Silver Dollar! Heck, I can buy one with a half days clad!:laughing:
Mud

I carefully read the rules and get the intent, you clearly put some thought into this so I will honor you with a reply.....This could be really cool to select team members at random, I like it on first blush in an effort to foster a Brotherhood of members...I also understand the feedback alerting you to potential loopholes and drawbacks...

I will just throw this in here, in the Spirit of the concept...A lot of us active members simply dont hunt silver..no biggie, theres plenty of subset genres to this Sport to keep us all entertained, so us claddies and gold hunters would lurk and follow along, cheer all the participants regardless...Maybe do a bracket and bet on the teams final placement even!

One things for sure, the Tennessee silver hunting boys got a clear leg up! :laughing:

Probably the best way to roll out an honest contest is to keep it short, simple, and arbitrary? Sure its fun to participate based on skill/luck afield and not "guess how many pennies are in this jar!" kind of deal...the 'prize' would of course dictate the involvement..thats super important...I dont want to change my style for a damned old Silver Dollar! Heck, I can buy one with a half days clad!:laughing:
Mud

at our club hunt we did something like this as individuals and everything had a point value, trash, bullets, coins, you name it it was listed. I don't like in the part of the country to find much silver, it is rare to be found.

Back
Top Bottom