Float thingy for diggin in water

Cool design. I might try one some time. That looks like the same material I used but my roll was 36" wide. I have made 3 and have plenty left over. Thanks for the pic.

Cliff

I'll likely make one for my trip to NC this summer...but if you have a scoop, is this really useful? The sand should sift through the holes in the scoop. Is this more for people using non-holed scoops or shovels?

Wash Basket

Hey!
Last year I got one of these plastic baskets used for gardening. I zip tyed some pool noodles around the edge and it floats pretty well.

It's sturdy, and the holes are small enough to catch most coins and things. I also like that it has folding feet for when you're on shore, and the handles so you can use it like a basket and carry your gear.

They're sold at lee valley in Canada, maybe US too?
WT658s4.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=75641&cat=2,2120,33278&ap=1

Hey!

Last year I got one of these plastic baskets used for gardening. I zip tyed some pool noodles around the edge and it floats pretty well.

It's sturdy, and the holes are small enough to catch most coins and things. I also like that it has folding feet for when you're on shore, and the handles so you can use it like a basket and carry your gear.

They're sold at lee valley in Canada, maybe US too?

WT658s4.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=75641&cat=2,2120,33278&ap=1
I've not seen those. I'll have to look for them. I can think of several uses for them. Thanks for posting.

Cliff

I'll likely make one for my trip to NC this summer...but if you have a scoop, is this really useful? The sand should sift through the holes in the scoop. Is this more for people using non-holed scoops or shovels?

You can take a few scoops and just dump it directly onto the sifter. No need to shake the scoop in the water. I usually just dump 3 or 4 scoop fulls onto it and keep hunting for the next target. Once in a while I'll check the sifter for a glint of gold. The more targets and the faster I recover them = greater chance of gold

You can make a simple one on the cheap with the top 3 inches or so of a five gallon bucket , some hardware cloth or plastic mesh and a pool noodle. I had a classifier like that I made for gold prospecting , just added pool noodle and rope to pull it with. Not as big as some others but it actually worked good. And the size made it highly portable. Just thought I would mention it since its easy and made of things a lot of people might already have around the house.

You can take a few scoops and just dump it directly onto the sifter. No need to shake the scoop in the water. I usually just dump 3 or 4 scoop fulls onto it and keep hunting for the next target. Once in a while I'll check the sifter for a glint of gold. The more targets and the faster I recover them = greater chance of gold

Good point. I have spare pool noodles that my eldest child used to prevent things from dropping from her top bunk that I could use.

Back
Top Bottom