• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1600 batteries

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Been using the 1600 for a couple of years..... some are only a year old. When the first one went i was told if they were allowed to get to low put them on the ML charger and slow charge them because the smart charger apparently isnt all that smart.:lol:

What they do is give me a real high threshold tone that cant be adjusted out and you can touch the coil with the scoop and it doesnt even know they are there. BUT..... after taking the cable connector on and off a few times it starts working... and there is NO issue that day. I leave them on the smart charger most of the time and rotate them. I have no problem with AAs or when they are new. Im thinking OVER charge is the issue not low battery. none the less ive started switching the the RNB lith. They make a good battery.... used to us the one for the Explorer......you could hunt forever on those babies.

I bought an RNB battery for my Etrac and love it. I saw a vid somewhere where someone refurbished their old 1600 MAH minelab battery with some new high capacity batteries. My ML battery doesn't last long and I may refurbish it and use it as a backup pack

Sounds like the connector may be getting dirty. Take a Q-tip and twist it into and down to the bottom of the battery pod. A alcohol swab will fit easier. Next make sure each of the cable connector pins have not been pinched together, the slots should be equal the length of the pin. If they are not equal, GENTLY spread them apart. I use a pocket knife's blade. If you go too aggressively there is a chance of breaking off half of a pin.

Must agree with the you on your statement about the RNB EX-3000. I does not improve anything but the running time between charges. 40+ hours, that in itself is worth the cost.

I had similar issues with Maxxpacks and was told the same thing. Apparently, if there's not enough charge left in the battery, the Maxxpacks charger doesn't recognize the battery is there for charging. So... you buy a new charger, but have to have one of the old ones to put a little charge on the battery and then switch it over to the Maxxpacks charger... :shrug:

And my experences with Maxxpacks haven't been the friendliest.

I'm switching to RnB too.

R5

I bought my 1600 from maxpack years ago and let it sit, for years... When i finally wanted to use it the charger would not recognize it either. I had to take it to a hobby shop and they did a very slow trickle charge in to it and it came back to life, been using it ever since charging with the smart charger without issues.

WW..... ive cleaned it AND spread the prongs. I assure you its the batteries. The batteries are wierd..... charger wont recognize and show them as charged. To much trickel charge appears to over charge them with this kind of response. I first thought it was a coil.... then narrowed to the battery pod its self.... but its definitely the batteries.

Thats 3 so I figure third times trying to tell me something.

Dew, I have the same battery in my 10". I only charge the morning of my hunt. Since that charger is super fast it is never a problem. If you are keeping a battery on charge all the time that might be an issue.

IMA......i agree. These dont seem to like being left on the charger. BUT.... i never had an issue with the ML batteries like this. Had them for years before swapping...... and they were the original 700 mah on the blues. So somethings different. Problem solved i hope with the lith..... seems to be.

Back
Top Bottom